Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mariah Monson
Votes |
Living here, what to say to Tenant

Mariah Monson
Posted Aug 8 2024, 20:04

My fiancé and I just purchased our first property, a duplex, and we will be living in one unit while renting out the other. I've heard it recommended to tell tenants that you are the property manager rather than the owner because it can improve your relationship and they are less likely to come after you (Note: we currently don't have any issues and don't plan to, just being cautious). 

But what do you say if you live at the same property? I feel like they are definitely going to know we are the owners. Is that okay? Has anyone had issues with that? Any suggestions are welcome. 

Thanks so much!

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Aug 9 2024, 04:03

@Mariah Monson, a few thoughts.

1. Do you want your tenants to be honest with you? If so, then you should expect to be honest with them. Lying about who you are isn't honest.

2. In many states you have to be a licensed real estate broker/agent to be a property manager. So, its hard to lie about that to a knowledgeable tenant.

3. If your property was owned by an LLC it would be easier to convince tenants or hide your role, but as your primary residence its probably in your own personal name.

4. From a practical standpoint, add an umbrella policy to cover liability in case you get sued just to be safe.

5. Think carefully about how you will manage the relationship with the tenant. If you become too friendly as neighbors that could impact your decision making as a manager of the property. This is why people don't like renting to friends/family because its human nature to mix emotion into the decision making and that makes dealing with managing the investment messy when things go sideways.

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Aug 9 2024, 04:49

Always be honest

BiggerPockets logo
Time to Refi? Get the Best Loan
|
BiggerPockets
Lender Finder helps secure the best loan for your strategy. Easily connect with top investor-friendly lenders now to lock in lowered rates. 🔒

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Aug 9 2024, 07:17

@Mariah Monson we respectfully advise the opposite approach of @Kevin Sobilo

Nothing wrong with his opinion, ours is just different.

You should consider both and figure out what works for YOU!

FYI, he is spot on with his #2-5!

We always challenge people to name ONE good thing that comes from a tenant knowing you are the owner.

"Honesty is the best policy", doesn't really apply in our opinion, to the landlord-tenant relationship, as a tenant will lie to an owner in a heartbeat, when things aren't going their way. 

Never forget, "desperate people, do desperate things". 

So, when a tenant can't pay their rent, rarely do they tell the truth. Usually, you hear excuse after excuse and they try to make their problems your problems.

No matter what you decide, document EVERYTHING IN WRITING or suffer the consequences! Have a business conversation with a tenant, send them an email summary of the conversation and ask them to confirm you got it correct. BCC yourself on the email and keep as a record. If you send a text, we recommend getting a GoogleVoice number as you can save all your texts more easily.

User Stats

Votes
Mariah Monson
Votes |
Replied Aug 19 2024, 19:40

Thank you for all your advice! It is much appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 20 2024, 10:45

Starting a business relationship on a lie is never a good idea. 

Your lease is likely have your name on it anyways.

If they are going to sue you and you go to court, I can just imagine seeing the "victim tenant" telling the judge how you misrepresented yourself to them.

You will be surprised when tenants find out you are the owner. They can often be nicer knowing they aren't talking to a property manager and knowing that the place will be kept up nicer since you live there too.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Miller
Pro Member
  • Laurel, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Laurel, MD
Replied Aug 20 2024, 11:05

There's a lot of good points being made for both sides. You really need to know yourself. Are you a softy? Do you feel sorry for the sad stories? Or are you able to stick to your guns and simply tell the tenant, tough crap, the lease is the lease. Either follow it or get out.

If you're the first one, soft, tell them you're the PM but my advise would be to actually get a good PM.

If you have the tough skin, no need to lie. Just lay the ground rules, stick to them and let the tenant know. You sympathize with them but the lease is the lease. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Replied Aug 20 2024, 11:12

I've been there. In my first fourplex, we planned to tell the tenants that we were the managers. That didn't feel right. 
Ultimately I've found it easier to just take ownership over any situation. Let the tenants know you are the owner and manager, be proud of that fact!