Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Priti Gupta
Pro Member
Votes |
First Time House Hacker - Separate bank account for rent collection?

Priti Gupta
Pro Member
Posted

Hi,

I am new to real estate and I bought a house recently and planning to house hack by renting the basement out while I live in the house for a year or 2 and then move out and rent the whole house. My question is should I already plan to collect the basement rent in a separate bank account or is that not necessary? I have heard that if you have a property under an LLC, you should definitely have a separate business bank account and credit card for each property but not sure if I should already do that when the property is personally owned. I do plan to put it in a LLC eventually at some point after I move out so I was just thinking if I should just make it separate from the get go?

Thanks in advance.

• Priti Gupta
  • Account Closed
    • Maine
    Votes |
    • Maine
    Replied

It's definitely recommended to have separate accounts.

User Stats

Votes
    Brian Sardinskas
    • Real Estate Agent
    • New Hampshire
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Agent
    • New Hampshire
    Replied

@Priti Gupta,

I own my house hack in my personal name and still have separate bank accounts and credit cards for it. In my opinion, I believe it’s best to separate your rental income, even if it’s owned in your personal name.

BiggerPockets logo
    Time to Refi? Get the Best Loan
    |
    BiggerPockets
    Lender Finder helps secure the best loan for your strategy. Easily connect with top investor-friendly lenders now to lock in lowered rates. 🔒

User Stats

Votes
    Adam Martin
    • Rental Property Investor
    Votes |
    • Rental Property Investor
    Replied

What do you plan to do with your rental income?  If you are house hacking to have someone else pay your mortgage what would be the point of a separate account if you are just going to switch it over to your checking or directly into your mortgage.  If you however are keeping this extra money on the side to fund future investments and don't plan to touch it a separate account would make sense.  For me personally I have 3 accounts for my 5 rentals but all the money is pooled together.  I have my basic checking where my money goes when rent is collected and where the mortgages and bills are drawn from.  I have 2 separate brokerage accounts, one basic money market account that I use as my emergency fund since the interest is higher than the bank so I keep very little in the bank, just enough to pay the mortgages.  The other brokerage is where I invest some of the money in stocks to help it grow faster.  

User Stats

Votes
    Bill Hampton
    Tax & Financial Services
    Pro Member
    • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
    • Atlanta, GA
    Votes |
    Tax & Financial Services
    Pro Member
    • Atlanta, GA
    Replied

@Priti Gupta

Yes, from an accounting and tax return preparation standpoint it is better to have a business bank account and a business credit card from the beginning if you plan on collecting rent. 

User Stats

Votes
    Basit Siddiqi
    Pro Member
    #3 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
    • Accountant
    • New York, NY
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    #3 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
    • Accountant
    • New York, NY
    Replied

It is better to create a separate bank account just for your rental activities.

The reason is that it will be easier for you to recognize what is income / expenses more easily.

• Basit Siddiqi
  • [email protected]
  • 917-280-8544
  • User Stats

Votes
    Anthony Swain
    Pro Member
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Charlotte, NC
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Charlotte, NC
    Replied

Hey @Priti Gupta,

Great question! I'm a fellow house hacker here and we are keeping separate accounts for our duplex income/expenses. This is helpful for a few reasons:

1) It will be easier to track performance of your rental.

2) Your CPA will thank you come tax time.

3) You' will thank yourself for not having to dig through old receipts, bank statements, etc. to find expenses and income for tax time. Haha

4) Once you do move out, then you already have the accounts set up, so you can make the transition easily. 

Let the good house hacking times roll!

-Ant

• Anthony Swain
  • [email protected]
  • User Stats

Votes
    Jeremy Jareckyj
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Salt Lake City, UT
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Salt Lake City, UT
    Replied

separate  bank account is best and easiest to track. maybe even had the mortgage go through this account as well.

User Stats

Votes
    Conner Olsen
    Pro Member
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Austin, TX
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Austin, TX
    Replied
    Quote from @Priti Gupta:

Hi,

I am new to real estate and I bought a house recently and planning to house hack by renting the basement out while I live in the house for a year or 2 and then move out and rent the whole house. My question is should I already plan to collect the basement rent in a separate bank account or is that not necessary? I have heard that if you have a property under an LLC, you should definitely have a separate business bank account and credit card for each property but not sure if I should already do that when the property is personally owned. I do plan to put it in a LLC eventually at some point after I move out so I was just thinking if I should just make it separate from the get go?

Thanks in advance.

Separate bank account makes it easier. If you are living there I wouldn't worry about getting all that setup because it's difficult to separate everything out while you're still living there. Just keep receipts and bank statements for income. I would at least get a new credit card and put all home expenses on that. When you move out definitely set up a new bank account and credit card.

• Conner Olsen
  • [email protected]
  • 702-521-0034
  • User Stats

Votes
    Priti Gupta
    Pro Member
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    Replied

Can I have a business bank account without an LLC already?

• Priti Gupta
  • User Stats

Votes
    Priti Gupta
    Pro Member
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    Replied
    Quote from @Bill Hampton:

@Priti Gupta

Yes, from an accounting and tax return preparation standpoint it is better to have a business bank account and a business credit card from the beginning if you plan on collecting rent. 

• Priti Gupta
  • User Stats

Votes
    Bill Hampton
    Tax & Financial Services
    Pro Member
    • Atlanta, GA
    Votes |
    Tax & Financial Services
    Pro Member
    • Atlanta, GA
    Replied
    Quote from @Priti Gupta:
    Quote from @Bill Hampton:

@Priti Gupta

@Priti Gupta

That depends on the bank. Most banks may require an LLC to open a business bank account.

User Stats

Votes
    Wale Lawal
    Agent
    • Real Estate Broker
    • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
    Votes |
    Agent
    • Real Estate Broker
    • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
    Replied

@Priti Gupta

Setting up separate accounts for rental income and expenses helps keep track of your property's money flow. This makes for clear records, easy tax filing, and a better look at profits. Using an LLC can offer more legal and safety cover. Separate accounts make tax time easier, showing you as a skilled investor. They help with money control, lead to wiser choices, and track cash flow better. The work needed is worth it, especially as your real estate grows. Talk to a real estate attorney or financial advisor to find the best way to do this.

Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
    BiggerPockets
    |
    Sponsored
    Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
    Replied

I keep my rental money in a completely different bank than my personal accounts. never mix them both. 

User Stats

Votes
    Max Emory
    Tax & Financial Services
    • Accountant
    • 100% Remote
    Votes |
    Tax & Financial Services
    • Accountant
    • 100% Remote
    Replied

@Priti Gupta, definitely separate accounts for the "business" side of your househack. It makes your bookkeeping and tax filing a breeze at year-end. Your tax pro will thank you and you'll keep your sanity.

For considering entity structure, consult with an attorney and let them know your plans for the property. And, make sure this is good with your tax pro and doesn't present any negative consequences on the tax side (throughout your investing journey).

I'm on my 2nd househack now. Great job!

User Stats

Votes
    Bonnie Low
    Pro Member
    #1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
    • Investor
    • Cottonwood, CA
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    #1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
    • Investor
    • Cottonwood, CA
    Replied

Although you live in one of the units, you are treating the other like a business presumably and will be reporting income and expenses for tax purposes so you really should have a separate bank account. And especially if you're going to create an LLC. In order for the LLC to protect your assets as intended, you'll absolutely need to keep business and personal expenses separate.

• Bonnie Low
  • User Stats

Votes
    Griffin Malcolm
    Pro Member
    • Schenectady, NY
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Schenectady, NY
    Replied

Definitely a good move. I did this with mine and collect rent automatically through apartments.com. I funnel the wifi, utilities, insurance and taxes through this account too. It's nice keeping it all separate

• Griffin Malcolm
  • [email protected]