Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Neil Narayan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Elon Musk plans to move X, SpaceX HQs to Texas

Neil Narayan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Posted Jul 18 2024, 18:14

Elon Musk's Austin empire is about to grow a lot more.

The enigmatic serial entrepreneur and world's richest man said July 16 on X that he will move X's headquarters from San Francisco to Austin. He also said that he will move Space Exploration Technologies Corp. from Hawthorne to its Starbase in South Texas where it is developing plans to one day send humans to Mars.

The move further cements Musk's influence on the Austin area and, more broadly, the state of Texas.

User Stats

Votes
Eric James
  • Malakoff, TX
Votes |
  • Malakoff, TX
Replied Jul 20 2024, 10:16
Quote from @Bruce Lynn:

@Neil Narayan   it will be interesting to see how many space engineers and rocket scientist will move from Hawthorn to Boca Chica which is nowhere near Austin.  Probably 7hr drive.  Maybe Elon will build a Chunnel from Austin to the launch site.

They are running a hovercraft between SpaceEx at Boca Chica across the bay to S. Padre Island. Maybe new employees will live in the island 

User Stats

Votes
James Hamling
Agent
#3 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Agent
#3 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Jul 20 2024, 10:21
Quote from @Jordan Moorhead:

Great news for Austin! More will follow! I'm very excited about this Texas Stock Exchange that should open in 2026 too. Texas will continue to be an economic juggernaut long into the future with the enormous base we're building. I need to buy more real estate here!

It's really coming clear that one should just remove any language between the words "Texas" and "Juggernaut", as that's what it's all culmination to be, just "Juggernaut Texas" full-stop. 

Consuming tech space, aerospace, investment, finance, on and on and on.... 

Respect.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Neil Narayan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 20 2024, 12:03
Quote from @Eric James:
Quote from @Bruce Lynn:

@Neil Narayan   it will be interesting to see how many space engineers and rocket scientist will move from Hawthorn to Boca Chica which is nowhere near Austin.  Probably 7hr drive.  Maybe Elon will build a Chunnel from Austin to the launch site.

They are running a hovercraft between SpaceEx at Boca Chica across the bay to S. Padre Island. Maybe new employees will live in the island 

I would love to live in S Padre, maybe i should apply to SpaceX ;)

User Stats

Votes
Mike Reynolds
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Replied Jul 20 2024, 13:23
Quote from @Neil Narayan:
Quote from @Eric James:
Quote from @Bruce Lynn:

SpaceX is going to be near Austin. Between Austin and Bastrop actually. 

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
#2 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Investor
Replied Jul 20 2024, 13:46
Quote from @Mike Reynolds:
Quote from @Eric James:
Quote from @Bruce Lynn:

Right, far from South Padre. I will say almost all my STR visitors to South Padre are from Austin, and if I were to care or dig deeper I bet a lot are cali transplants.

Go South Padre!

User Stats

Votes
Allan C.
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Jul 21 2024, 09:27
Quote from @Andrew Syrios:
Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

California is going to be a ghost state pretty soon. 

YUP pretty sad whats happened to Baghdad by the bay.. Herb Cohen quote .

Although just south in Silicon valley when one firm moves 2 take its place..

Silicon Valley though is just one part of California though. And while they bring in tons of money, they don't hire many people or have many storefronts other than their giant campuses. Check out this video of downtown LA. There are similar ones for San Fran that are even worse: 

;t=

what people don’t understand is city core in places like LA are a small contributor to the economy. LA is a sprawl of smaller cities where people live and work, and most of those cities are fine. 

there’s a reason the south bay attracts residents and companies, and it’ll be a long long time before those fundamentals shift. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 21 2024, 10:43

I heard prices in Austin crashed and investors were impacted heavily, how true is this? Are there better deals now?

User Stats

Votes
Neil Narayan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 21 2024, 14:14

There are deals to be had as prices have gone down compared to two years ago but compared to pre-pandemic we have appreciated. I wouldn't say housing market in Austin has crashed ... we just bid on a prop this weekend in central Austin and it went to multiple offers, my friend just bought in N Austin and there were 12 offers on that prop. So it really depends on the area. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Reynolds
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Replied Jul 21 2024, 19:12
Quote from @V.G Jason:
Quote from @Mike Reynolds:
Quote from @Eric James:
Quote from @Bruce Lynn:

Right, far from South Padre. I will say almost all my STR visitors to South Padre are from Austin, and if I were to care or dig deeper I bet a lot are cali transplants.

Go South Padre!

And this decision wasn’t just decided last week. They are almost finished with the new SpaceX building already. I know workers who are working on it. 

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 22 2024, 09:25
Quote from @James Hamling:

Great news for Austin! More will follow! I'm very excited about this Texas Stock Exchange that should open in 2026 too. Texas will continue to be an economic juggernaut long into the future with the enormous base we're building. I need to buy more real estate here!

It's really coming clear that one should just remove any language between the words "Texas" and "Juggernaut", as that's what it's all culmination to be, just "Juggernaut Texas" full-stop. 

Consuming tech space, aerospace, investment, finance, on and on and on.... 

Respect.

MPLS seems to be having good growth too from what I read!

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 22 2024, 09:27

Jordan.. all you young Entrepreneurs need to be forming little co ops and buying dirt in the path of progress thats where fortunes are going to be made.. 

I'm looking into that and finding some MHP's in the 35 corridor too

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Jul 22 2024, 10:05
Quote from @Allan C.:

California is going to be a ghost state pretty soon. 

YUP pretty sad whats happened to Baghdad by the bay.. Herb Cohen quote .

Although just south in Silicon valley when one firm moves 2 take its place..

Silicon Valley though is just one part of California though. And while they bring in tons of money, they don't hire many people or have many storefronts other than their giant campuses. Check out this video of downtown LA. There are similar ones for San Fran that are even worse: 

;t=

what people don’t understand is city core in places like LA are a small contributor to the economy. LA is a sprawl of smaller cities where people live and work, and most of those cities are fine. 

there’s a reason the south bay attracts residents and companies, and it’ll be a long long time before those fundamentals shift. 

This is true but 1) the problems in LA has extends beyond the city's core and 2) the city's core is essential for the city's reputation, which in LA has nosedived which will make it harder to lure in new companies or even keep ones there which are considering moving.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!