Skip to content
Market Trends & Data

User Stats

Votes
Nate Armstrong
  • Investor
Votes |
Is a huge real estate crash coming soon?

Nate Armstrong
  • Investor
Posted Jul 5 2024, 09:22

Is a massive real estate crash on the horizon? Experts are divided, but what do you think—are there warning signs suggesting caution for potential buyers and investors?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 6 2024, 10:49
Quote from @Account Closed:

The smart thing would be to unload all the real estate before complete crash and then buy it all back when prices drop. Since you can't predict when this will happen, you could switch to short term cash cycle models in the meantime. 

I don't disagree with everything you said, but the real estate I bought was purchased at 70-75% LTV.  It's now below 50%.  If the market "crashes", I suspect I'll be back to 75%?  Why would I sell and buy back when it's already paying for itself, putting a little bit of money in my pocket each month, and is locked in below 4%?  And, pay taxes, realtor fees, etc., so I can lock in a rate that's below inflation?

I won't refi and buy more at these rates, but the idea of selling and buying back is crazy.  It's a ridiculous amount of time, effort, and money.

User Stats

Votes
Dan H.
Pro Member
#5 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied Jul 6 2024, 11:57
Quote from @Chris John:

The smart thing would be to unload all the real estate before complete crash and then buy it all back when prices drop. Since you can't predict when this will happen, you could switch to short term cash cycle models in the meantime. 

I don't disagree with everything you said, but the real estate I bought was purchased at 70-75% LTV.  It's now below 50%.  If the market "crashes", I suspect I'll be back to 75%?  Why would I sell and buy back when it's already paying for itself, putting a little bit of money in my pocket each month, and is locked in below 4%?  And, pay taxes, realtor fees, etc., so I can lock in a rate that's below inflation?

I won't refi and buy more at these rates, but the idea of selling and buying back is crazy.  It's a ridiculous amount of time, effort, and money.

25% equity gain in my market (average SFH is ~$1m) would justify the cost and work.

However, trying to predict the fall is tough.  The last time I was indicating to be leery of a fall (I claimed risk of fall was much higher than 6 months previous and prices did not reflect this large increased risk) was early COVID.  We know that what happened was fed attacked it economically aggressively and pumped large amount of money into the economy.  By late 2020 prices were rising fast.   It does not mean I was wrong about the increased risk, but increased risk does not mean the adverse outcome will occur.  

Today there are indicators both ways.  There is a large shortage of homes where people want to live.  Those with low rates have little incentive to sell if buying is with high rates.   The millennials is a large demographic that is just hitting home buying age.  

The big counter is commercial RE is already down significantly. It can easily pull down non commercial residential.  In addition, buying now is beyond what most first time home buyers can afford.  For RE investors there is similar issue that purchasing today in large markets is cash flow negative.  They need rent increases to obtain cash flow but tenants are already financially stretched.  

Pick the argument you like better but realize no body knows.   My own expectations is a period of flat price growth.   I have done my underwriting the last 2.5 years depicting 0% appreciation.  This has resulted in no purchases in that time frame (but I purchased $4m in Dec 2021).  But this year core logic shows 4% YOY appreciation and a year ago 8% in my market.  So my underwriting led to less purchases that less conservative underwriting may have resulted in some purchases that would have had good near term appreciation.  

You sit the sidelines you take a risk of further being priced out of the market.   You enter the market and you take various risks that includes the market depreciates significantly.  

What I do is I continue to screen looking for properties that meet my buy criteria while trying not to be tempted to change my buy criteria just so I can complete a purchase (which is not easy for me).

The goal is to make money not to own property.  

Good luck

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.
Account Closed
  • Maryland
Votes |
  • Maryland
Replied Jul 6 2024, 13:17
Quote from @Chris John:

If you bought at 75% then you might be ok. When market crashes you may end with what you paid for it. Let's you bought the house for $75K when the market price was $75K, and now it "appreciated" to 100% and you have 50% equity on it. That equity may drop down to 75% (I don't know what the actual correction will be, but let's assume it will depreciate by 25% as a result of it). You have a choice to get 100% (or 50% equity) before crash, or hold it long term. If you hold it for years to come then after market correction it will again start appreciating. But if you got 100% (50% equity) before the correction, you would have so much more buying power when prices drop, and buy back more than what you hold now. It may not be what you want to do if you are ok with roller coaster, because of the taxes, selling and buying costs. It all depends on what you want to accomplish. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 6 2024, 13:49

@Dan H.

I hear you, and all good points.  However, I'm way, way lazy.  When times get like this, I figure it's time to spend money on what I want instead of investments.  So, vacations, home improvements, etc. until they put the fish back in my barrel.  I'll leave the work for others.  haha.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 6 2024, 13:53

@Account Closed

I appreciate your point of view, but we see this drastically different.  I think the worse the economy, the more sellers you'll lose and the real estate market will lock up even more.  I think the only way out of this low inventory and to get back to "normal" is time.  As people age out, die off, divorce, etc. they'll sell because they have to.  Non-investors that I talk to aren't interested in selling because they know that even if they downsize, they'll pay more.

The future will tell though.  Best wishes.

Account Closed
  • Maryland
Votes |
  • Maryland
Replied Jul 6 2024, 14:08
Quote from @Chris John:

@Account Closed

I appreciate your point of view, but we see this drastically different.  I think the worse the economy, the more sellers you'll lose and the real estate market will lock up even more.  I think the only way out of this low inventory and to get back to "normal" is time.  As people age out, die off, divorce, etc. they'll sell because they have to.  Non-investors that I talk to aren't interested in selling because they know that even if they downsize, they'll pay more.

The future will tell though.  Best wishes.

Thank you, likewise. I think people who locked in with 4% or below interest rate loans don't want to sell now for very obvious reasons. Even if they downsize and find cheaper home, they may end up paying the same or more on a mortgage, just because of the high rates. The last time rates were this high is when homes were priced 4-5 times below what they market for now. Back then, in 90's, even 8% was ok rate. After all, you were buying a sound SFH for $140K in a decent neighborhood. The exact same house now sells for $600K, and it's 30 years older and needs work to make it look nice. But once market crashes the interest rates will also go down. Therefore, lower prices combined with lower rates will make homes a lot more affordable than now. And once people start panicking they will sell at the same rate they were buying in 2021. I have seen this behavior in past and while I can't bet my head that people will act in similar ways as in past I believe there is very high probability that they will.

User Stats

Votes
Edgar U.
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miramar, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miramar, FL
Replied Jul 6 2024, 15:04

Ever since BP started someone always posts crash this, crash that, crash this year. The only thing crashing are the ones not getting involved in this market, a lot of money to be made! Adjust strategies, be the best at it, and move on. Should a "Crash" does happen, just adjust again until you figure out what is working and move on, adjust, etc. If one follows the news, there is crash almost every month, if one follows the money, there is money in every month!

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Jul 6 2024, 15:22

@John Morgan

great points.  "the market" is too broad.  office in San Franciso?  short term rentals in Florida?  SFs at 2x the median in Austin?  Cleveland?  San Diego?  And what's a 'crash'?  15%?  25%?

there are specific buildings on the Florida coast where prices have crashed.  but you might inherit a special assessment for the balance.  so is that a 'crash'?

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jul 6 2024, 15:34
Quote from @Nate Armstrong:

Is a massive real estate crash on the horizon? Experts are divided, but what do you think—are there warning signs suggesting caution for potential buyers and investors?

A huge crash-- I doubt it. A huge correction in some areas, less in some sure. Depends the area though.

The correction on assets comes after the first rate cut, the correction on houses specifically come after inventory starts to get back to certain levels. Most markets are not there yet, but they are trending that direction. Some, like Austin, have already seen that. Austin is an excellent point to look at for crashes, corrections, etc. So is SW Florida.

What's the floor of it, I think H2 '22. I don't think it dips past those levels. 

Account Closed
  • Maryland
Votes |
  • Maryland
Replied Jul 6 2024, 15:46
Quote from @Edgar U.:

Ever since BP started someone always posts crash this, crash that, crash this year. The only thing crashing are the ones not getting involved in this market, a lot of money to be made! Adjust strategies, be the best at it, and move on. Should a "Crash" does happen, just adjust again until you figure out what is working and move on, adjust, etc. If one follows the news, there is crash almost every month, if one follows the money, there is money in every month!

Impeding crash can be an opportunity for anyone who can leverage it. A lot of people bought homes in CA after last crash, at a good discount, and if they were smart would sell those homes in the past few years and moved their investment (with huge equity) elsewhere. It will also be a great loss for those who paid full retail when market reached the pinnacle, they will be upside down and their homes will go on foreclosures. It's good to think about it and try to foresee it, so one is not victimized by it at very least.

As to people saying things, people will always say what they want and think. That's why we have Freedom of Speech, versus tyranny where people get their heads cut off if they speak unpopular things. But all the empty talk set aside, there is a reason to expect a new crash. Dodd Frank was good at keeping it at bay until the COVID pandemic hit. Ever since, with hyperinflation, rising RE prices (in part fueled by historically low rates in 2021, before feds started to hike them) and massive cash flow from hedge funds, foreign investors and etc., the RE prices skyrocketed far beyond what US buyer can afford to pay. With US median household income in upper $70K, there is no way your regular 9-5 worker can afford to buy homes at the prices they were selling recently. Once tide changes, investors pull, foreclosures roll things will get ugly. At this point it is not a question of if, but it's a question of when. Most certainly you can thrive in roller coaster if you are well informed and can make the right decision as to when you should buy and when you should sell your RE, just like any other commodity on the market. 

User Stats

Votes
Dan H.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied Jul 6 2024, 15:57
Quote from @Eric N.:
Quote from @Edgar U.:

Impeding crash can be an opportunity for anyone who can leverage it. A lot of people bought homes in CA after last crash, at a good discount, and if they were smart would sell those homes in the past few years and moved their investment (with huge equity) elsewhere. It will also be a great loss for those who paid full retail when market reached the pinnacle, they will be upside down and their homes will go on foreclosures. It's good to think about it and try to foresee it, so one is not victimized by it at very least.

As to people saying things, people will always say what they want and think. That's why we have Freedom of Speech, versus tyranny where people get their heads cut off if they speak unpopular things. But all the empty talk set aside, there is a reason to expect a new crash. Dodd Frank was good at keeping it at bay until the COVID pandemic hit. Ever since, with hyperinflation, rising RE prices (in part fueled by historically low rates in 2021, before feds started to hike them) and massive cash flow from hedge funds, foreign investors and etc., the RE prices skyrocketed far beyond what US buyer can afford to pay. With US median household income in upper $70K, there is no way your regular 9-5 worker can afford to buy homes at the prices they were selling recently. Once tide changes, investors pull, foreclosures roll things will get ugly. At this point it is not a question of if, but it's a question of when. Most certainly you can thrive in roller coaster if you are well informed and can make the right decision as to when you should buy and when you should sell your RE, just like any other commodity on the market. 

Simple question: can you list any item ever that crashed when there was less supply than demand?   If you can, what was the item and when did the crash occur?   All studies show a shortage in housing where people want to live.   

It is tough to predict a crash of a commodity that has a shortage.  Many people may never be able to afford to purchase their own home but as long as demand exceeds supply I question if it matters. 

I do think we are in a tough market for RE investors.   Recent purchases are almost universally cash flow negative.  Without rent growth or appreciation, these purchases produce terrible return.   Buy the buyer qualified for the loan with the poor cash flow implying they can handle the poor cash flow. 

Best wishes.  

Account Closed
  • Maryland
Votes |
  • Maryland
Replied Jul 6 2024, 16:22
Quote from @Dan H.:
Quote from @Edgar U.:

Simple question: can you list any item ever that crashed when there was less supply than demand?   If you can, what was the item and when did the crash occur?   All studies show a shortage in housing where people want to live.   

It is tough to predict a crash of a commodity that has a shortage.  Many people may never be able to afford to purchase their own home but as long as demand exceeds supply I question if it matters. 

I do think we are in a tough market for RE investors.   Recent purchases are almost universally cash flow negative.  Without rent growth or appreciation, these purchases produce terrible return.   Buy the buyer qualified for the loan with the poor cash flow implying they can handle the poor cash flow. 

Best wishes.  

Same to you, best wishes and all. The reason for crash is what I have mentioned above. Commodity is not worth what it is sold for, the only reason it is so high is the abundant flow of the cash from hedge funds, financial management companies, foreign and domestic investors who pay cash to purchase 32% of existing inventory. But there is no perpetuum mobile and this will not continue infinitely, just as housing boom of early 2000's didn't last forever. There will be a breaking point, and once investors pull out and lots of underwater homeowners go in foreclosure, things will change. It will likely be accompanied by lower interest rates, with Feds bringing them down to stimulate growth post apocalypses, which will further increase the affordability of houses. One once the chain reaction sets there will be a flood of people existing RE, just as there was flood of people buying in during 2021 rat-race. I think it will be a good time to buy RE when the market crashes. Those who will have cash at such juncture will have an opportunity to gain big time. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dan H.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied Jul 6 2024, 18:36
Quote from @Eric N.:
Quote from @Dan H.:
Quote from @Eric N.:
Quote from @Edgar U.:

Best wishes.  

Same to you, best wishes and all. The reason for crash is what I have mentioned above. Commodity is not worth what it is sold for, the only reason it is so high is the abundant flow of the cash from hedge funds, financial management companies, foreign and domestic investors who pay cash to purchase 32% of existing inventory. But there is no perpetuum mobile and this will not continue infinitely, just as housing boom of early 2000's didn't last forever. There will be a breaking point, and once investors pull out and lots of underwater homeowners go in foreclosure, things will change. It will likely be accompanied by lower interest rates, with Feds bringing them down to stimulate growth post apocalypses, which will further increase the affordability of houses. One once the chain reaction sets there will be a flood of people existing RE, just as there was flood of people buying in during 2021 rat-race. I think it will be a good time to buy RE when the market crashes. Those who will have cash at such juncture will have an opportunity to gain big time. 

I notice you did not answer if you could think of one commodity that crashed when demand exceeded supply.  I am assuming that you could not.

At the great recession there was years of significantly adding to the housing supply.  There was not a shortage of housing where people want to live like today.  

So in your scenario the houses are too expensive so people stop purchasing them and investors sell a commodity in short supply at a loss? But people have to live somewhere.  They can increase occupancy a certain amount but that has limits.   The prices today have not reached the point that investors are not still Buying.   So what would cause an investor to sell a commodity in high demand and short supply at a loss?

Note I am not saying it cannot happen but I would not count on it.   I have done my underwriting last 2.5 years reflecting no near term appreciation but my market has appreciated on average over $100k in that time span.  Was I too conservative?  Possibly.    Those who sat the sidelines for the last 2.5 years need $100k of depreciation to maybe be close to same as if they purchased 2.5 years ago.  I say close to the same because those that purchased 2.5 years ago still would have the equity pay down. 

Sitting on the sidelines has risk.  It is a different risk than the risk of purchasing RE.  I guarantee that historically the risk associated with sitting the sidelines has impacted at a higher rate than the risk associated with an RE crash.  

By the way 2.5 years ago going back to GR I was hearing similar stuff about price of RE in my market being too unaffordable but statistically it was more affordable than most of the previous 60 years.   Today my market is still more affordable than it was in the 1980s.  

Sit the sidelines and take the risk or purchase RE and take the risk.  I plan to continue to purchase.  

Good luck

Account Closed
  • Maryland
Votes |
  • Maryland
Replied Jul 6 2024, 19:01
Quote from @Dan H.:
Quote from @Dan H.:
Quote from @Edgar U.:

Best wishes.  

I notice you did not answer if you could think of one commodity that crashed when demand exceeded supply.  I am assuming that you could not.

At the great recession there was years of significantly adding to the housing supply.  There was not a shortage of housing where people want to live like today.  

So in your scenario the houses are too expensive so people stop purchasing them and investors sell a commodity in short supply at a loss? But people have to live somewhere.  They can increase occupancy a certain amount but that has limits.   The prices today have not reached the point that investors are not still Buying.   So what would cause an investor to sell a commodity in high demand and short supply at a loss?

Note I am not saying it cannot happen but I would not count on it.   I have done my underwriting last 2.5 years reflecting no near term appreciation but my market has appreciated on average over $100k in that time span.  Was I too conservative?  Possibly.    Those who sat the sidelines for the last 2.5 years need $100k of depreciation to maybe be close to same as if they purchased 2.5 years ago.  I say close to the same because those that purchased 2.5 years ago still would have the equity pay down. 

Sitting on the sidelines has risk.  It is a different risk than the risk of purchasing RE.  I guarantee that historically the risk associated with sitting the sidelines has impacted at a higher rate than the risk associated with an RE crash.  

By the way 2.5 years ago going back to GR I was hearing similar stuff about price of RE in my market being too unaffordable but statistically it was more affordable than most of the previous 60 years.   Today my market is still more affordable than it was in the 1980s.  

Sit the sidelines and take the risk or purchase RE and take the risk.  I plan to continue to purchase.  

Good luck

I see no point in arguing about something that , to me, is certain to occur. But since it had no occurred yet, there is no evidence of it happening at the moment. So, it would be futile to argue this back and forth. I just set out my reasoning, why I believe it will happen. Feel free to ignore it and do as you wish. I don't owe you fiduciary duty and , frankly, don't care how you manage your own affairs.

As to question you asked, we have a shortage at this very moment because house owners who locked low APR loans are unwilling to sell. They know they will get less house and very high APR to finance their next purchase, so why sell now? With home values either appreciating or holding, it does not make sense at present time to sell if you are one of those homeowners. And construction can't catch up with demand. Besides, new constructions are selling for astronomical price out of the reach of ordinary Americans (why would they sell for less than a current marker value? It's better to sell fewer home for retail than build homes at loss. Builders are not charitable organizations to deliver below market cost houses). When I say current housing prices are beyond affordability of average Americans I refer to median household income of ~$79K. 32% of the homes bought not by your average Joe Six Packs, but paid in cash by high equity individuals, hedge funds and investors. Median household earning $79K/year doesn't have $400K-$800K cash in a bank to buy the houses, much less finance it with 7% APR. But circumstances will change. On June 21, 2024 Freddie Mac got approval to purchase second mortgages on SFH occupied by primary residents. Why do you think they were approved to do that? And what do you think will happen with housing market when people who can't afford to pay their bills take HELOC and max out LTV? Where will they get money for food and other necessities once HELOC is depleted? What do you think will happen to their homes once they no longer can afford them? It's coming. I don't know when, but housing market will crash. And it's good to know and anticipate it ahead of the time, so that you don't make mistakes that others do. I have almost 50% equity on my current home and have opened HELOC line on it just before rates skyrocketed, just to have a back up cash for emergency purposes. I haven't touched it since, my HELOC balance is ZERO. I would rather cut my expenses than touch it, especially now when I know what is coming. And my HELP rate is just under 10%. How many home owners do you think do the same and not using their HELOCs to pay their bills or to maintain lifestyle that is suddenly out of reach due to crazy inflation we saw in the past 3 years? Once these homes start going to foreclosure, en masse, they will drag down the prices of homes in general. With prices going down all the hedge funds and financial account managers will start dumping the RE. Since any mortgage becomes an instrument , those will be dumped as well. Then you will have more housing that anyone will have means to buy (and those who have means won't be touching something in freefall). That's when things will change. I know it and I am prepared for it. I hope to have good credit, good money at hand and ability to purchase homes when the correction occurs. It will be the best time to invest in RE.

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jul 6 2024, 19:27
Quote from @Eric N.:
Quote from @Dan H.:
Quote from @Eric N.:
Quote from @Dan H.:
Quote from @Eric N.:
Quote from @Edgar U.:

Best wishes.  

Good luck

I see no point in arguing about something that , to me, is certain to occur. But since it had no occurred yet, there is no evidence of it happening at the moment. So, it would be futile to argue this back and forth. I just set out my reasoning, why I believe it will happen. Feel free to ignore it and do as you wish. I don't owe you fiduciary duty and , frankly, don't care how you manage your own affairs.

As to question you asked, we have a shortage at this very moment because house owners who locked low APR loans are unwilling to sell. They know they will get less house and very high APR to finance their next purchase, so why sell now? With home values either appreciating or holding, it does not make sense at present time to sell if you are one of those homeowners. And construction can't catch up with demand. Besides, new constructions are selling for astronomical price out of the reach of ordinary Americans (why would they sell for less than a current marker value? It's better to sell fewer home for retail than build homes at loss. Builders are not charitable organizations to deliver below market cost houses). When I say current housing prices are beyond affordability of average Americans I refer to median household income of ~$79K. 32% of the homes bought not by your average Joe Six Packs, but paid in cash by high equity individuals, hedge funds and investors. Median household earning $79K/year doesn't have $400K-$800K cash in a bank to buy the houses, much less finance it with 7% APR. But circumstances will change. On June 21, 2024 Freddie Mac got approval to purchase second mortgages on SFH occupied by primary residents. Why do you think they were approved to do that? And what do you think will happen with housing market when people who can't afford to pay their bills take HELOC and max out LTV? Where will they get money for food and other necessities once HELOC is depleted? What do you think will happen to their homes once they no longer can afford them? It's coming. I don't know when, but housing market will crash. And it's good to know and anticipate it ahead of the time, so that you don't make mistakes that others do. I have almost 50% equity on my current home and have opened HELOC line on it just before rates skyrocketed, just to have a back up cash for emergency purposes. I haven't touched it since, my HELOC balance is ZERO. I would rather cut my expenses than touch it, especially now when I know what is coming. And my HELP rate is just under 10%. How many home owners do you think do the same and not using their HELOCs to pay their bills or to maintain lifestyle that is suddenly out of reach due to crazy inflation we saw in the past 3 years? Once these homes start going to foreclosure, en masse, they will drag down the prices of homes in general. With prices going down all the hedge funds and financial account managers will start dumping the RE. Since any mortgage becomes an instrument , those will be dumped as well. Then you will have more housing that anyone will have means to buy (and those who have means won't be touching something in freefall). That's when things will change. I know it and I am prepared for it. I hope to have good credit, good money at hand and ability to purchase homes when the correction occurs. It will be the best time to invest in RE. 

So you reasons for things will go into foreclosure are interesting. I don't think it'll happen exactly that way, but if remotely does you bet the government will bail out homeowners. So I don't think it'll be a tangible concern. With that said, when foreclosures come the private money will not be sell side but buy side. Home ownership will get more concentrated. 

Also, if/when a crash happens, you got to take into account where does it bottom. Same decision with equities.  We can use VOO, Vanguard's S&P 500 index, as an example. In Oct of 2022, it hit sub $330 after trading north of $430 within the 1 year window. This weekend it rolled off just south of $510. Do you see a crash taking us back to that $330 level? That's a 35% hit. For akin results, go check RE in Sep-Dec 2022. Same things in most markets, they traded 15 to 30 less than they are now. How deep does this "crash" hit, more than 30%? The crash in my opinion already happened in H'2 22. The correction has yet to come. Of course this is market to market and case by case.

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jul 6 2024, 19:39
Quote from @Blake Cogdill:

In our area of Mount Pleasant, SC, people continue to move here paying higher prices than the locals. Prices continue to go up. Our new build that we purchased in March of 2023 has gone up 50% from where we purchased. I don’t think it is reasonable that prices have gotten to where we are in our area, but people keep paying the price 🤷‍♂️

That's literally exactly what everyone says when a bubble forms. These exact type of sentiments. Let some time season after the first rate cut, we'll circle back. 

Account Closed
  • Maryland
Votes |
  • Maryland
Replied Jul 6 2024, 20:07
Quote from @V.G Jason:
Quote from @Dan H.:
Quote from @Dan H.:
Quote from @Edgar U.:

Best wishes.  

Good luck

As to question you asked, we have a shortage at this very moment because house owners who locked low APR loans are unwilling to sell. They know they will get less house and very high APR to finance their next purchase, so why sell now? With home values either appreciating or holding, it does not make sense at present time to sell if you are one of those homeowners. And construction can't catch up with demand. Besides, new constructions are selling for astronomical price out of the reach of ordinary Americans (why would they sell for less than a current marker value? It's better to sell fewer home for retail than build homes at loss. Builders are not charitable organizations to deliver below market cost houses). When I say current housing prices are beyond affordability of average Americans I refer to median household income of ~$79K. 32% of the homes bought not by your average Joe Six Packs, but paid in cash by high equity individuals, hedge funds and investors. Median household earning $79K/year doesn't have $400K-$800K cash in a bank to buy the houses, much less finance it with 7% APR. But circumstances will change. On June 21, 2024 Freddie Mac got approval to purchase second mortgages on SFH occupied by primary residents. Why do you think they were approved to do that? And what do you think will happen with housing market when people who can't afford to pay their bills take HELOC and max out LTV? Where will they get money for food and other necessities once HELOC is depleted? What do you think will happen to their homes once they no longer can afford them? It's coming. I don't know when, but housing market will crash. And it's good to know and anticipate it ahead of the time, so that you don't make mistakes that others do. I have almost 50% equity on my current home and have opened HELOC line on it just before rates skyrocketed, just to have a back up cash for emergency purposes. I haven't touched it since, my HELOC balance is ZERO. I would rather cut my expenses than touch it, especially now when I know what is coming. And my HELP rate is just under 10%. How many home owners do you think do the same and not using their HELOCs to pay their bills or to maintain lifestyle that is suddenly out of reach due to crazy inflation we saw in the past 3 years? Once these homes start going to foreclosure, en masse, they will drag down the prices of homes in general. With prices going down all the hedge funds and financial account managers will start dumping the RE. Since any mortgage becomes an instrument , those will be dumped as well. Then you will have more housing that anyone will have means to buy (and those who have means won't be touching something in freefall). That's when things will change. I know it and I am prepared for it. I hope to have good credit, good money at hand and ability to purchase homes when the correction occurs. It will be the best time to invest in RE. 

So you reasons for things will go into foreclosure are interesting. I don't think it'll happen exactly that way, but if remotely does you bet the government will bail out homeowners. So I don't think it'll be a tangible concern. With that said, when foreclosures come the private money will not be sell side but buy side. Home ownership will get more concentrated. 

Also, if/when a crash happens, you got to take into account where does it bottom. Same decision with equities.  We can use VOO, Vanguard's S&P 500 index, as an example. In Oct of 2022, it hit sub $330 after trading north of $430 within the 1 year window. This weekend it rolled off just south of $510. Do you see a crash taking us back to that $330 level? That's a 35% hit. For akin results, go check RE in Sep-Dec 2022. Same things in most markets, they traded 15 to 30 less than they are now. How deep does this "crash" hit, more than 30%? The crash in my opinion already happened in H'2 22. The correction has yet to come. Of course this is market to market and case by case.

I don't think government will bail out home owners. You default - you are out. I don't recall home owners being bailed out in 2009-2011. It looks like government will bail out second mortgage/HELOC lenders and that's why Freddie Mac was approved to buy them. Last time when millions of homes were foreclosed banks sold most of them to large pools of investors. You would go chasing REO owned homes as individual investor asking asset managers to sell one to you, but at the same time banks were selling them in batches of tens of thousands per transaction, to investors who put money together and formed companies that had direct contact with the banks that foreclosed on those homes.

As to reason, there is not one specific reason, I just described one. When things crumble multiple variables are at play and come down together as dominoes. I just see where it's headed. 

P.S. You are right in anticipating less than 30% hit. The last time around it was 29%. Of course it was different from place to place, but 29% was a median figure. I wouldn't expect home prices to go down by 90% or 50%. They will just go back to where they were before insane post-COVID inflation, that will be the "bottom", and then they will steadily rise. Buying it when it hits the bottom and gaining from appreciation cycle that may last another 10 year will be the best bet.

User Stats

Votes
Lenora Dana
Pro Member
  • Loveland, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Loveland, CO
Replied Jul 6 2024, 20:09

@Nate Armstrong

If not interfered with, you can count on 17 year cycles. We're in the - short inventory, increasing construction phase. In about 5 years, we'll be in the over built but won't stop construction until forced too (price dropping) phase. Then 4 years or so of being able to find good deals more easily. Then 8 years of consistent price increases, looking harder for deals, then lack of inventory again. Rinse, repeat.

Interference = pay attention to the financial instruments markets, when those guys/gals get giddy about making money hand over fist, they're screwing people over and a crash is coming.

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied Jul 6 2024, 20:24

We shall see.

User Stats

Votes
Dan H.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied Jul 6 2024, 21:37
Quote from @Eric N.:
Quote from @Dan H.:
Quote from @Eric N.:
Quote from @Dan H.:
Quote from @Eric N.:
Quote from @Edgar U.:

Best wishes.  

Good luck

As to question you asked, we have a shortage at this very moment because house owners who locked low APR loans are unwilling to sell. They know they will get less house and very high APR to finance their next purchase, so why sell now? With home values either appreciating or holding, it does not make sense at present time to sell if you are one of those homeowners. And construction can't catch up with demand. Besides, new constructions are selling for astronomical price out of the reach of ordinary Americans (why would they sell for less than a current marker value? It's better to sell fewer home for retail than build homes at loss. Builders are not charitable organizations to deliver below market cost houses). When I say current housing prices are beyond affordability of average Americans I refer to median household income of ~$79K. 32% of the homes bought not by your average Joe Six Packs, but paid in cash by high equity individuals, hedge funds and investors. Median household earning $79K/year doesn't have $400K-$800K cash in a bank to buy the houses, much less finance it with 7% APR. But circumstances will change. On June 21, 2024 Freddie Mac got approval to purchase second mortgages on SFH occupied by primary residents. Why do you think they were approved to do that? And what do you think will happen with housing market when people who can't afford to pay their bills take HELOC and max out LTV? Where will they get money for food and other necessities once HELOC is depleted? What do you think will happen to their homes once they no longer can afford them? It's coming. I don't know when, but housing market will crash. And it's good to know and anticipate it ahead of the time, so that you don't make mistakes that others do. I have almost 50% equity on my current home and have opened HELOC line on it just before rates skyrocketed, just to have a back up cash for emergency purposes. I haven't touched it since, my HELOC balance is ZERO. I would rather cut my expenses than touch it, especially now when I know what is coming. And my HELP rate is just under 10%. How many home owners do you think do the same and not using their HELOCs to pay their bills or to maintain lifestyle that is suddenly out of reach due to crazy inflation we saw in the past 3 years? Once these homes start going to foreclosure, en masse, they will drag down the prices of homes in general. With prices going down all the hedge funds and financial account managers will start dumping the RE. Since any mortgage becomes an instrument , those will be dumped as well. Then you will have more housing that anyone will have means to buy (and those who have means won't be touching something in freefall). That's when things will change. I know it and I am prepared for it. I hope to have good credit, good money at hand and ability to purchase homes when the correction occurs. It will be the best time to invest in RE.

>we have a shortage at this very moment because house owners who locked low APR loans are unwilling to sell. They know they will get less house and very high APR to finance their next purchase, so why sell now?

That does not define a shortage.  That defines a supply/demand constraint.   The shortage is because the country is short a significant number of housing units where people want to live.  

>Median household earning $79K/year doesn't have $400K-$800K cash in a bank to buy the houses, much less finance it with 7% APR.

a buyer does not need $400k to $800k. using owner occupied loans can get 96.5% LTV. At that LTV, $35k can purchase a RE worth $1m. 7% apr is historically moderate and why home were statistically less affordable in the 1980s.

In addition to the affordability not being at a worse case, the information to educate on home buying options has never been greater. There are programs like NACA, FHA, VA, etc. There are finance options like owner financed, assumable, sub-to, DSCR, lease to own. there are alternate rent options such as STR, MTR, rent by room. There are numerous property types such as self storage, Mobil home parks, office, industrial, commercial residential, non commercial residential, etc. There are numerous value adds such as traditional rehab, development, change of zoning, TIC, etc. then there is taking a role in the financing such as hard money lender or notes. There is flipping, BRRRR, and rent ready units and turn key.

my point is there are so many paths in RE.  To believe that at anytime there is not a viable path mostly points to needing more education.  

Or one can avoid RE and look for other viable ways to succeed financially.  

What is unlikely to work is not doing anything to create financial independence and to expect that it will just magically happen.  

Good luck.  

Account Closed
  • Maryland
Votes |
  • Maryland
Replied Jul 7 2024, 04:29

@Dan H.: >>That does not define a shortage. That defines a supply/demand constraint. The shortage is because the country is short a significant number of housing units where people want to live. <<<

LOL. Are you saying that shortage does not define shortage?))) Ok, you want to lighten up and try to crack a joke. I get it. But that set aside, my point is not to define shortage (it is what it is, lack of supply), rather to explain WHY it exists. One of the main REASONS is that homeowners don't want to sell homes. Why? Because they are locked into low APR. If you think about the main reason WHY there is a shortage it's obvious that it is circumstantial and that reason will evaporate with changed circumstances.

>>a buyer does not need $400k to $800k. using owner occupied loans can get 96.5% LTV. At that LTV, $35k can purchase a RE worth $1m. 7% apr is historically moderate and why home were statistically less affordable in the 1980s. <<

Wrong. Even if you get 100% LTV , with $35K you can't purchase a 1m home at 7% APR, unless the banks will write you a 1000 year loan. $35K can afford to pay around $1000 on housing. How long will it take you pay off 1 mil loan with 7% APR with $1000/mo installment. I mentioned earlier that I still remember 8% APR on mortgages back in 1990's. But I also noted that the exact same homes that fetch $600K today were priced at $140K back then, and they were in much better shape being 30 years younger. Current prices and APR are not sustainable, it will inevitably crack and crash.

>>In addition to the affordability not being at a worse case, the information to educate on home buying options has never been greater. There are programs like NACA, FHA, VA, etc. There are finance options like owner financed, assumable, sub-to, DSCR, lease to own. there are alternate rent options such as STR, MTR, rent by room. There are numerous property types such as self storage, Mobil home parks, office, industrial, commercial residential, non commercial residential, etc. There are numerous value adds such as traditional rehab, development, change of zoning, TIC, etc. then there is taking a role in the financing such as hard money lender or notes. There is flipping, BRRRR, and rent ready units and turn key. <<<

You do you. If you don't like what you hear plug your ears and do as you wish. Your decisions and glasses you wear are none of my business. But none of what you say will avert impeding crash.

>>>my point is there are so many paths in RE. To believe that at anytime there is not a viable path mostly points to needing more education. <<<

One of us certainly needs some education and I don't think it's me. You can talk about STR, MTR, BRRR, NACA, FHA, VA and etc. all day long, none of it will avert the market crash and correction.

Of course there is always a path to make money. Even and especially crashing market presents the best opportunity in decades to make most of one's investment. Study history, learn a bit about it, you may need it.

Account Closed
  • Maryland
Votes |
  • Maryland
Replied Jul 7 2024, 05:37

@Dan H.: >>That does not define a shortage. That defines a supply/demand constraint. The shortage is because the country is short a significant number of housing units where people want to live. <<<

LOL. Are you saying that shortage does not define shortage?))) Ok, you want to lighten up and try to crack a joke. I get it. But that set aside, my point is not to define shortage (it is what it is, lack of supply), rather to explain WHY it exists. One of the main REASONS is that homeowners don't want to sell homes. Why? Because they are locked into low APR. If you think about the main reason WHY there is a shortage it's obvious that it is circumstantial and that reason will evaporate with changed circumstances.

>>a buyer does not need $400k to $800k. using owner occupied loans can get 96.5% LTV. At that LTV, $35k can purchase a RE worth $1m. 7% apr is historically moderate and why home were statistically less affordable in the 1980s. <<

Wrong. Even if you get 100% LTV , with $35K you can't purchase a 1m home at 7% APR, unless the banks will write you a 1000 year loan. $35K can afford to pay around $1000 on housing. How long will it take you pay off 1 mil loan with 7% APR with $1000/mo installment. I mentioned earlier that I still remember 8% APR on mortgages back in 1990's. But I also noted that the exact same homes that fetch $600K today were priced at $140K back then, and they were in much better shape being 30 years younger. Current prices and APR are not sustainable, it will inevitably crack and crash.

>>In addition to the affordability not being at a worse case, the information to educate on home buying options has never been greater. There are programs like NACA, FHA, VA, etc. There are finance options like owner financed, assumable, sub-to, DSCR, lease to own. there are alternate rent options such as STR, MTR, rent by room. There are numerous property types such as self storage, Mobil home parks, office, industrial, commercial residential, non commercial residential, etc. There are numerous value adds such as traditional rehab, development, change of zoning, TIC, etc. then there is taking a role in the financing such as hard money lender or notes. There is flipping, BRRRR, and rent ready units and turn key. <<<

You do you. If you don't like what you hear plug your ears and do as you wish. Your decisions and glasses you wear are none of my business. But none of what you say will avert impeding crash.

>>>my point is there are so many paths in RE. To believe that at anytime there is not a viable path mostly points to needing more education. <<<

One of us certainly needs some education and I don't think it's me. You can talk about STR, MTR, BRRR, NACA, FHA, VA and etc. all day long, none of it will avert the market crash and correction.

Of course there is always a path to make money. Even and especially crashing market presents the best opportunity in decades to make most of one's investment. Study history, learn a bit about it, you may need it.

FYI, I said banks would have to write a 1000 year term loan to let someone with 35K income pay off 1 mil loan in 1000/mo installments. It's inaccurate. One with 35K income will NEVER pay off 1 mil loan, even in million years. Simply because the interest payment alone at 7% APR will be in excess of $3K, the total gross income of the earner you mentioned. At ZERO APR (suppose home owner finances it), it would take borrower 75 years to pay off 1 mil debt if they paid in $1100 monthly installments. $1100/mo being the maximum installment they could realistically afford with 35K income. Since they have to also eat, pay utility bills and other expenses. And that doesn't account for taxes, insurance, maintenance costs. So, what you propose doesn't work in a world we live in.

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Jul 7 2024, 05:49

FYI, I said banks would have to write a 1000 year term loan to let someone with 35K income pay off 1 mil loan in 1000/mo installments. It's inaccurate. One with 35K income will NEVER pay off 1 mil loan, even in million years. Simply because the interest payment alone at 7% APR will be in excess of $3K, the total gross income of the earner you mentioned. At ZERO APR (suppose home owner finances it), it would take borrower 75 years to pay off 1 mil debt if they paid in $1100 monthly installments. $1100/mo being the maximum installment they could realistically afford with 35K income. Since they have to also eat, pay utility bills and other expenses. And that doesn't account for taxes, insurance, maintenance costs. So, what you propose doesn't work in a world we live in.

With a $35k yearly salary, Banks will let a borrower do a loan around $100k-$115k. What kind of drunk maniac thinks Banks are handing out $1 Million Dollar Mortgages to people making $35k?

User Stats

Votes
Regina Blake
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 7 2024, 05:53

Hi, real estate investing in Ohio is doing well I sure my clients would definitely agree. Ohio's market is very competitive at this time, and I really feel that no one can go wrong with investing in real estate. Come check it out and best wishes!

Account Closed
  • Maryland
Votes |
  • Maryland
Replied Jul 7 2024, 06:04
Quote from @James Wise:

With a $35k yearly salary, Banks will let a borrower do a loan around $100k-$115k. What kind of drunk maniac thinks Banks are handing out $1 Million Dollar Mortgages to people making $35k?

I hope you read the comments on the thread before responding (to put things in proper context) and are aware that it was the poster above who suggested it.

@Dan H.