Skip to content
Market Trends & Data

User Stats

Votes

I'm new investor in the North Carolina area

Posted Dec 13 2022, 00:01

Hi my name is Christian I'm a  new investor looking to invest in the North Carolina area. I lived in Indianapolis I would like to move some day to North Carolina any recommendations of the best cities to invest or zip codes. I would like to understand more the North Carolina market and their trends. Looking forward to connect and I'm offering my help as well to anybody that need it.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 13 2022, 04:51
Quote from @Christian Chamboneth:

Hi my name is Christian I'm a  new investor looking to invest in the North Carolina area. I lived in Indianapolis I would like to move some day to North Carolina any recommendations of the best cities to invest or zip codes. I would like to understand more the North Carolina market and their trends. Looking forward to connect and I'm offering my help as well to anybody that need it.

Welcome to the BiggerPockets forums!

I don't have personal experience, but I hear Charlotte is the fastest growing and has strong rent rates. Greensboro, Durham, and Raleigh are also mentioned.

I wouldn't dismiss smaller towns. There may be fewer opportunities, but also less competition. The real key is finding a good property manager first. It doesn't matter how good the deal is if you can't find someone to manage it well.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Lingle
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Dec 13 2022, 05:32

A lot of people mention this on BP but I think this philosophy resonates most with me. The most important factor in your success is likely not macroeconomic trends, although of course those are important. It's the people side of the business. Where can you develop a team the quickest? Where can you make connections quicker, in order to start seeing deals sooner? Where can you get market expertise? The deals *in any city* flow quickest to the most connected. 

All the best!

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Jared Trindade
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fayetteville, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fayetteville, NC
Replied Dec 13 2022, 07:03

Hey Christian, thanks for posting! I would encourage you to check out some of my posts on Market Data in NC, I have some of the most popular areas in NC broken down in easy to digest data. Including Asheville, Durham, Fayetteville, Wilmington, Raleigh, and more. I am consistently doing this type of research in NC, and continue to make new posts every couple of days. 

I would love to connect with you, and see if I could be a resource for you. 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

Here's a post I did for a more general look at NC, instead of individual market breakdowns. Love to get some feedback from you!

My best,

Jared Trindade

User Stats

Votes
Pat Lulewicz
  • Realtor
  • Raleigh NC and Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Raleigh NC and Greensboro, NC
Replied Dec 14 2022, 05:20

I always stress that people decide on the type of life they want and not necessarily "hot" zip codes. If you hate where you live but the investment properties are great there, is it really worth it in the grand scheme? You can usually live in a favorable location for your lifestyle and either commute to a property or hire folks to do all of the heavy lifting for you. Happy to connect to learn your personal preference and goals, as well as the professional/RE ones, and help guide you towards a location that would be conducive for both aspects.

User Stats

Votes
Cory J Thornton
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Dec 14 2022, 09:41

@Christian Chamboneth - You've already received some great feedback on this post. I'll try not to be redundant. 

- To benefit from the growth of the high population growth markets / big job growth areas, you don't always need to be in the same zip code, you just need to be within a reasonable commute. My wife an I try to focus our long term rentals in towns within a 30 - 45 minute drive to Raleigh. So far, this has worked well for us, allowing us opportunities to buy cash flowing properties with appreciation potential.  

- NC has a lot to offer from the beach to the mountains. If you have a preference for what kind of area you would want to live, then the chances are you can locate a city with good growth and some investment opportunities in that area. 

I own a property management company located north of Raleigh. If you end up choosing a market in the Raleigh area, please keep me in mind. 

Best of luck on your investing in NC endeavor ... keep us all posted once you narrow down where you would like to invest. 

User Stats

Votes
Christian Longacre
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Dec 14 2022, 18:00

Hey @Christian Chamboneth, North Carolina is a great place to invest.  What type of market would you want to move to?  You should spend some time and take a few trips to NC to see all that this state has to offer.  Good luck, I'd be happy to chat anytime!

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jan 11 2023, 06:53

Start networking with BP members in NC

User Stats

Votes
Ace Kaspar
  • Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jan 11 2023, 09:31

HI Christian,

NC is a great area to invest and ever growing so you picked a great place for it.

There are a few great cities that come to mind:

- Charlotte, NC
- Raleigh, NC
- Chapel Hill, NC
- Ashville, NC
- Emerald Isle, NC

I have lived in NC for 29 years and always happy to chat. Feel free to DM me to connect and hope the hunt goes well.

Best,
Ace

User Stats

Votes
Samara Huntley
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Apr 24 2024, 08:44

Hey Christian, 

I am a born and raised Charlottean and having great success for my investors and I In the Submarkets of Charlotte. Where there is still meat on the bone so to speak. Gastonia, Kannapolis, Concord, Monroe, indian trail etc. are some of the hottest fastest growing suburbs where there is still room to get a "deal". 

Would love to be a resource, feel free to reach out with any questions at all. I'm a licensed general contractor as well so anything construction related as well give me a shout!