Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Ask About A Real Estate Company
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Rembish
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toms River, NJ
Votes |
Fund that Flip

Matthew Rembish
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toms River, NJ
Posted

Has anyone ever dealt with "Fund that Flip" and care to leave any feedback?

User Stats

Votes
Charles Worth
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied

@Matt Rodak runs the site and I have met him a few times and had a number of discussions with him (more from the investor side not from the flipper side). I have always found him forth coming and helpful though I can't say much beyond that. I would encourage you to talk to him and I am sure he would answer any questions you have. 

User Stats

Votes
Sam Erickson
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied

I'm pretty sure @jscott is on their board.  They also just got hooked up with houses flipping spreadsheets.com, the owner of which is also here on BP.

They seem to be pretty well connected with BP I'm sure some here has done a deal with them.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Matt Rodak
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • New York, NY
Replied

Hi @Matthew Rembish,

Thanks for your interest. I'd be happy to jump on a call with you to answer any questions you might have. I can also recommend that you speak with @Jonathan Makovsky. We funded one of his deals earlier this year. 

Appreciate the kind words @Charles Worthand @Sam Erickson

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Makovsky
  • Investor
  • Fairfield-New Haven-Hartford County, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfield-New Haven-Hartford County, CT
Replied

@Matthew Rembish, I had an awesome experience with Matt and FundThatFlip that I would be glad to share with you. I will be posting our flip success story in the next week or so on a very profitable flip.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Rembish
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toms River, NJ
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toms River, NJ
Replied

@Charles Worth

That's great, thanks for the feedback Charles

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Rembish
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toms River, NJ
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toms River, NJ
Replied

@Sam Erickson

Thank you Sam, that's actually where I heard of them but I didn't know J was involved.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Rembish
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toms River, NJ
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toms River, NJ
Replied

@Matt Rodak

Matt, that would be great. I am definitely interested in learning more, I will PM you.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Rembish
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toms River, NJ
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toms River, NJ
Replied

@Jonathan Makovsky

Jonathan, 

That is great to hear about your success! That's too funny that you responded to this because I just listened to your podcast 2 days ago. Looking forward to reading your story.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Rembish
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toms River, NJ
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toms River, NJ
Replied

@Jonathan Makovsky

Would you possibly have some time to talk on the phone maybe sometime soon, not just about FTF but about starting off in general. I found your story very inspiring.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Rembish
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toms River, NJ
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Toms River, NJ
Replied

@Charles Worth

That's great, thanks for the feedback Charles

User Stats

Votes
Mark Mathews
  • Euclid, OH
Votes |
  • Euclid, OH
Replied

I  just heard of FTF today and  knew I could come here for some reviews!! That's why I love BP!! All the answers that I could ever need and more!!  I am very interested in using their service. The one thing that I do have a question about is how willing are they to work with new investors. I  really have been doing my homework and my business partner and myself have a great business plan in place. The one part we are having issues  with is the funding of the deals. We have some capital to work with, but would really be interested in finding out if this is a great way to go. 

User Stats

Votes
Bryan C.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Spokane, WA
Replied

I am interested to learn more about Fund That Flip....any references?

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Rodak
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • New York, NY
Replied

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your interest. Fellow BP member and podcaster @Jonathan Makovsky just completed a deal with us and we shot this video about the experience. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-canvfCLXoA

Happy to jump on a call with you too if any other questions you might have. 

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Haberman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Ocean View, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Ocean View, NJ
Replied
Originally posted by @Matt Rodak:

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your interest. Fellow BP member and podcaster @Jonathan Makovsky just completed a deal with us and we shot this video about the experience. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-canvfCLXoA

Happy to jump on a call with you too if any other questions you might have. 

Hey Matt,

Can we connect some how? I have a deal closing at the end of the month and wanted to see if Fund That Flip would work for me..

Thank you

Ben Haberman

User Stats

Votes
Replied

There are handful of crowdfunding lending companies emerged lately.

They all seem to share a need to be an accredited investor to start investing.

In order for an individual to qualify as an accredited investor, he or she must accomplish at least one of the following:

1) earn an individual income of more than $200,000 per year, or a joint income of $300,000, in each of the last two years and expect to reasonably maintain the same level of income.

2) have a net worth exceeding $1 million, either individually or jointly with his or her spouse.

3) be a general partner, executive officer, director or a related combination thereof for the issuer of a security being offered.

How strict is the accreditation requirement is being followed?

Is there any legal way to invest in this concept without being accredited as an investor per SEC rules?

I am not qualifying under those requirements, but still willing to invest about $50K…

User Stats

Votes
Jim Groves
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied
Originally posted by @Alexander Kleiman:

In order for an individual to qualify as an accredited investor, he or she must accomplish at least one of the following:

1) earn an individual income of more than $200,000 per year, or a joint income of $300,000, in each of the last two years and expect to reasonably maintain the same level of income.

2) have a net worth exceeding $1 million, either individually or jointly with his or her spouse.

3) be a general partner, executive officer, director or a related combination thereof for the issuer of a security being offered.

Is there any legal way to invest in this concept without being accredited as an investor per SEC rules?

I am not qualifying under those requirements, but still willing to invest about $50K…

How strict is it being followed? It depends on the safe harbor rule that the platform is using.  If they are using 506b, they can rely upon a representation from you that you are accredited.  In other words, you can lie about your status and get in.

Is it "legal"?  Well, no.  

In my view, the rules keep you from investing a sizable portion of your net worth on a lightly regulated investment marketplace.  As a rule of thumb, you probably shouldn't be investing more than 10-20% of your net worth in these deals anyway.    

User Stats

Votes
Paula Schafer
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied

I'm interested in hearing feedbacks on the lending side. Anyone?

I appreciate it.

Paula

User Stats

Votes
Matt Rodak
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • New York, NY
Replied

Hi @Paula Schafer

Thanks for your interest. If you email me at contact info below or DM me, I'll connect you with a few lenders who are active on our platform. 

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Joe Bourguignon
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Portland, OR
Replied

@Matt Rodak, I'd also love to hear from some active investors on FTF.  I'm thinking of investing and want to hear how it's been going for people.  Thanks,

-joe

User Stats

Votes
Deborah R.
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

I have put some money into fund that flip within the last couple of months.  I was also looking for someone who has completed an investment with them. 

User Stats

Votes
Sal Mazzone
  • Investor
  • Tarrytown, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tarrytown, NY
Replied
Originally posted by @Alexander Kleiman:

I was wondering this as well.  I'm just short of the income qualification but would still have to wait two years for that to season.  I'd consider myself in line with an "Accredited investors" since I work in the regulatory finance industry, and have worked at a security regulatory authority empowered by the SEC.  There should be an exception to this rule based on competence/education/work experience, but I guess that's hard to prove.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew R.
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Replied

@Matthew Rembish

I am on my 6th deal with them.

I was pleasantly surprised. Consistent updates. Deals performed without issue. 

I think they are bigger than I had in initially assumed. Maybe in the 40+ staff range Im guessing.

The interest rates on the debt deals I have done have been higher than most of their peers. I suspect this is due to either a better sales group, or the risk was simply adjust higher on the ones I went in. 

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Sara Anne Pace
  • Middletown, CT
Votes |
  • Middletown, CT
Replied

I have 37 investments with Fund That Flip. I have spoken with both Matt and Stephen who are co-founders and they have been responsive to my questions. They seem like ambitious guys in their 30's and 40's who have flipped houses themselves and have worked in the finance market before starting FTF. They started out with about 10 people. Now they have about 20 people working for them. They are increasing that number to 30 next year. They are based in New York City and Ohio. According to them, they have raised money for their company and have access to 50 millions to use to fund loans. They fund all their loans first before crowd funding.

My apprehension with investing in crowd funded flipping platform is that A LOT of them have gone under. Therefore research is crucial to understand the risks. https://www.therealestatecrowdfundingreview.com/to....

One of the concept that was important for me to learn was DEBT VS EQUITY financing. Debt is much better since in an EQUITY financing if a company goes under investors will get crumbs after the company gets bailed out first. FTF is a DEBT financing platform. All of  their loans are first position mortgages with personal guarantee meaning if foreclosure does not meet the debt requirement, FTF can go after the borrower's personal assets.

Every loan has an appraisal report which I browse especially to eliminate properties on the flood planes. I have not found one yet. House needing flood insurance are hard to sell. Having access to the MLS, I have done comps on houses that are on the platform from CT and the appraisals are pretty close. FTF also cross checks the appraisals. You will notice that they only fund less than 70% of ARV and the borrowers have skin in the game.

I have asked the pressing question. Have you had to foreclose on any property and has the investor lost any money? Technically no on foreclosure, but one borrower handed over the property via deed in lieu. No loss on any investments. 

I also like Peer Street which is rated well. I chose to invest in both but prefer FTF for the higher interest rates. I like it that FTF know their flippers since they screened them and follow them.

A flipper I know told me that FTF appraiser literally showed up the next day after the application was approved. He was happy that everything happened quickly and efficiently. 

User Stats

Votes
Darren Harris
  • Burlington, NJ
Votes |
  • Burlington, NJ
Replied

I’m seeing this discussion 2 years late, but still found it very helpful. Thank you all for the insight!

User Stats

Votes
Justin R.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Anselmo
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Anselmo
Replied

I have been using Fund that flip consistently for over a year now. They have been great, but in the last few months, I have seen a strong decline in the interest rates paid out to their lenders/investors.

I know the rates are not going down for the borrowers (flippers), therefore one would assume the platforms margins are increasing. 

Obviously they are able to lower their rates without loss of investors, because people (probably newer investors) are lining up to offer their (hard) money at rates as low as 8.25 percent.