Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Simeon Rivas
Votes |
Tenant refuses to give me forwarding address for security deposit

Simeon Rivas
Posted

My former tenant is refusing to give me her forwarding address. She is having the mail forwarded from her ex apartment, but I cannot track that or know when she has received it. Should I just send it though there or make her give me the forwarding address? I am in Conneecticut fyi. 

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Eddinger
  • Meriden, CT
Votes |
  • Meriden, CT
Replied

@Simeon Rivas - You have two options.

Option 1 is to wait for the forwarding address.  This is allowed in CT.

When Do Landlords Have To Return Security Deposits?

Landlords must return security deposits with interest or give tenants written notice of damages being claimed within twenty-one (21) days of when tenants move. The only exception is if a tenant fails to provide a written forwarding address: landlords then need not return security deposits or provide a notice of damages until fifteen (15) days after receipt of a forwarding address in writing.

Option 2 is to just send it to the last known address and for to ask the post office to please forward it to the correct address.

If you ultimately cannot mail the payment or they do not cash the check, you will need to eventually send the money to unclaimed property:

"Unclaimed property is held by the Treasurer until the rightful owner comes forward to claim it. Property is considered unclaimed if there has been no contact or activity with the rightful owner for a set period of time, usually 3 to 5 years."

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied

If you send it registered mail, it should come back to you if it is not received.  I believe in most cases, if you do not have their forwarding address, you can send it registered to the last known address (ie the rental).  If it is returned to you, do NOT open it, keep it unopened as proof that you sent it.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Laura Stayton
  • Property Manager
  • Delaware
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Delaware
Replied
Quote from @Simeon Rivas:

My former tenant is refusing to give me her forwarding address. She is having the mail forwarded from her ex apartment, but I cannot track that or know when she has received it. Should I just send it though there or make her give me the forwarding address? I am in Conneecticut fyi. 

Check your landlord tenant code.  In DE if they don't provide a forwarding address we just send it to the address they rented by certificate of mailing

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied

If the tenant doesn't give a forwarding address you are only required to send it to their last known address.