Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Scott Walters
Votes |
Constant Work Orders After New Tenants Move In

Scott Walters
Posted Jul 10 2024, 13:34

I would like to get some observations on this. I had a new tenant movie in about a month and a half ago. They rented sight unseen. PM's handyman goes through the property inspection checklist in between tenants to include checking the drains and caulking in the bathtub.  As soon as the tenants move in there's a barrage of issues that pop up. P trap and faucet are both leaking in the bathroom. The bath tub is leaking. The PM sends out a contractor to fix the valve stem in the shower. After about a week, another leak is reported in the tub. The handyman who did the checklist reported that it is unlikely an issue due to the caulking. Other repairs since the new tenants moved in include, a sliding door lock replacement, drywall repair from a roof leak, 4 cracked windows, a broken front door handle, light fixture replacement, blinds that are longer than the window, window screens and now a ceiling fan making grinding noises. we're about $5000 into repairs/replacements right now since the tenants moved in. After moving in, they requested the house be cleaned, carpet cleaning, the backyard to be mowed.

Now I'm getting a quote to get the caulking done in the bathtub.

The PM did a walk through of the house last week with the tenants but I feel that should have been done before the tenants moved in.  All these repairs/maintenance after the PM did a post tenant (previous) walkthrough seems unusually excessive. Just wondering what people on here think.

User Stats

Votes
Ned J.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Replied Jul 10 2024, 16:13

From what you have posted this isnt a demanding tenant issue... this is a "you didnt inspect the property very well and fix all the needed items BEFORE the tenant moved in" issue

If your PM is responsible for the post move out and pre-move in inspections, then they did a crap job. Sometimes things pop up after tenant move in that were not evident before, so stuff happens.... but your list is pretty long to have missed all of that. 

Sometimes stuff just comes in bunches and is the luck of the draw..... but this sounds like a crappy PM that didnt inspect and fix properly before move in. The items listed sound like they were going to have to be fixed anyway,so the $$$ is what it is.... but the timing sucks

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied Jul 10 2024, 17:10

The PM should have done a walk through AND taken photos after the last tenant moved out and again done a walk through with the new tenants. If they rented sight unseen, there should have been an as-is clause in the lease because of that.

It does seem excessive given the handyman found nothing at move out (and assuming he did a good job of the inspection).  Some things get missed, but not as many as you listed.  I'd demand to meet with the handyman and do a walk through of the unit to see that the changes are being done and that they need to be done.

When I have a turn over, there is often something that pops up after the tenant moves in.  I think twice, I've had problematic tenants (one high maintenance and one who was rough of stuff and should have been charged for some of the repairs but the PM didn't even after I complained to them).

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Walters
Votes |
Replied Jul 10 2024, 21:48
Quote from @Ned J.:

From what you have posted this isnt a demanding tenant issue... this is a "you didnt inspect the property very well and fix all the needed items BEFORE the tenant moved in" issue

If your PM is responsible for the post move out and pre-move in inspections, then they did a crap job. Sometimes things pop up after tenant move in that were not evident before, so stuff happens.... but your list is pretty long to have missed all of that. 

Sometimes stuff just comes in bunches and is the luck of the draw..... but this sounds like a crappy PM that didnt inspect and fix properly before move in. The items listed sound like they were going to have to be fixed anyway,so the $$$ is what it is.... but the timing sucks

My sentiments exactly. Thanks for the insight. I'll be switching to another PM. They were not very smooth with this transition.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Walters
Votes |
Replied Jul 10 2024, 22:01
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

The PM should have done a walk through AND taken photos after the last tenant moved out and again done a walk through with the new tenants. If they rented sight unseen, there should have been an as-is clause in the lease because of that.

It does seem excessive given the handyman found nothing at move out (and assuming he did a good job of the inspection).  Some things get missed, but not as many as you listed.  I'd demand to meet with the handyman and do a walk through of the unit to see that the changes are being done and that they need to be done.

When I have a turn over, there is often something that pops up after the tenant moves in.  I think twice, I've had problematic tenants (one high maintenance and one who was rough of stuff and should have been charged for some of the repairs but the PM didn't even after I complained to them).

Well said Theresa. The PM said they did a post tenant walkthrough and took all these photos but somehow missed all these issues. And no, these all did not just become faulty coincidentally in between the post tenant walkthrough and the new tenants moving in.

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Jul 11 2024, 04:10

I think that you need a better inspector and inspection check list... that seems to be where the break down is.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 11 2024, 05:40

A door lock doesn't function, four cracked windows, a broken door handle...those sound like issues the PM should have found during the inspection.

When you get a lot of repair requests from a new tenant and they seem to be legit, I would recommend they spend a week or two getting settled, write down all the issues they come across, then send your contractor to handle everything at once.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Brett Butler
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jul 11 2024, 08:34

Just adding that in my experience, renting a property to a tenant sight-unseen is usually a bad idea, even when the unit is properly turned and professionally cleaned.

Clearly there were missed maintenance issues in this case, but I would still instruct your PM (or future PM) to make it a requirement that all prospective tenants tour your properties first before processing applications.

I’ve even had tenants sign Sight Unseen / As-Is addendums and later be unhappy and still want to break their leases. These instances weren’t even for real maintenance issues, seemingly they were just because of subjective opinions about the property or location.

Prospective applicants can only gather so much from photographs and video. Prospects need to physically go to the property before signing a lease, so everyone is on the same page.

Just my two cents! 

User Stats

Votes
Alyssa Wright
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jul 11 2024, 11:11

It does seem that is both a mix of a faulty PM company as well as a picky tenant - not a good combination. 

As many others have mentioned, it does seem very likely that an adequate walk-through/turn was done by the PM company as well as it may be possible that they also have a poor contractor that is not fully resolving issues like leaks the first time around. 

If the tenants are being picky, it is also possible that they are being picky because of the shortcomings of the PM so they may not be able to (understandably) trust that the unit and carpets were actually cleaned. 

If this has been or seems like it will be a reoccurring problem with your PM team, I would 100% recommend shopping around for a new team. 

User Stats

Votes
Peter Tverdov
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Replied Jul 22 2024, 19:35

Every house is different and every owner is different. It's a delicate balance as a PM. What you would normally repair on one house, another house same repairs the owner flips out and cries you're spending their money.

When we get tenants who get carried away with repair requests (like 1-2 a month is ridiculous IMO) we usually get on the phone with them, level with them and then tell them we can find a replacement in that apartment since they feel its so bad. That usually calms them down, although I have had 1-2 leave over the years (good riddance). 

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Jul 29 2024, 07:59

@Scott Walters  ask yourself how do you miss four cracked windows and a broken front door handle? Were any of the repairs something that should have been deducted from the previous tenants security deposit?  Some things popup of course and former tenants hide things, I think your checkout inspection was lacking.  The tenants may be picky too because blinds can a little long for the window if you don't have standard size windows.