Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Evelin Negrete
Pro Member
  • Atlanta Georgia
Votes |
Terminate Lease with inherited tenant

Evelin Negrete
Pro Member
  • Atlanta Georgia
Posted May 13 2024, 18:00

I recently bought my first duplex. I inherited a tenant whose lease ends by August 1st. We talked and they asked if I would be increasing the rent I said yes to $925, they were originally paying $825. Market rent is $1,000. I told her the amount and he is an older man who lives off her social security check. He asked if it was okay for her to pay $900 for 6 months & then $925 the other 6 months. I said it was fine, there was no lease signed or anything. Well I moved in and got roommates, I made the error of giving them my number so now I get a text with complaint for any small thing. I want to know if since I agreed to the amount on rent but did not sign a lease. Do I need to continue to sign a lease for another year or am I able to give them the 60 day notice to leave the property once they’re lease is up?  
Any advice would be very Much appreciated. 

Loading replies...