Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Marketing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Nick J.
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Payson, AZ
Votes |
Where do you buy envelopes?

Nick J.
  • Payson, AZ
Posted Jul 2 2012, 14:06

I'm looking around online for a place to buy bulk envelopes. Specifically, postcard size envelopes, maybe even in light pastel colors.

I'm curious where you guys get yours if you're getting them in the bulk(1000+) from an online retailer.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Replied Jul 2 2012, 15:26

Guys - This isn't a thread for advertising your company or services . . . if anyone wants to promote their company, we've got a Classifieds forum for just that. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Nick J.
  • Payson, AZ
Votes |
  • Payson, AZ
Replied Jul 2 2012, 15:47
Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
Guys - This isn't a thread for advertising your company or services . . . if anyone wants to promote their company, we've got a Classifieds forum for just that. Thanks!

What happened? I wasn't advertising anything :(

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Quarles#1 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied Jul 2 2012, 15:48

I was... Well not really... You asked where you could get envelopes and I replied from me... Not certain how to answer your question otherwise...

Sorry Josh

User Stats

Votes
Nick J.
  • Payson, AZ
Votes |
  • Payson, AZ
Replied Jul 2 2012, 16:01
Originally posted by Michael Quarles:
. Not certain how to answer your question otherwise...

If you weren't an option, where would you go to buy bulk?

I know there are a million places to buy like office max, staples etc... I see most of them sell in boxes of 100 but I just want to buy more. I don't want super fancy ones, just postcard size and light colored pastel varieties(sp?). Something other than standard white ones and not letter envelope size.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Replied Jul 2 2012, 16:09

No problem Michael.

What about Envelopes.com?

User Stats

Votes
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied Jul 2 2012, 16:17

Envelopes.com is hugely expensive... I havent found any of the "Popular URL" sites with great pricing. However we calculate three decimals when figuring cost.

I dont have an issue with giving you the name of our supplier off forum.

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Jul 2 2012, 16:23
I was... Well not really... You asked where you could get envelopes and I replied from me... Not certain how to answer your question otherwise...

I have no financial affiliation with Michael's company, but I have used him to send yellow letters, and I can vouch for the fact that the envelopes he uses are very effective in getting recipients to open them.

Of course, I'm sure you can get the same envelopes in a million places and I don't know what Michael charges for envelopes, but from a knowledge standpoint, I'd seriously consider his recommendation if I was looking for envelopes... :)

User Stats

Votes
Nick J.
  • Payson, AZ
Votes |
  • Payson, AZ
Replied Jul 2 2012, 16:45
Originally posted by J Scott:

I have no financial affiliation with Michael's company, but I have used him to send yellow letters, and I can vouch for the fact that the envelopes he uses are very effective in getting recipients to open them.

Of course, I'm sure you can get the same envelopes in a million places and I don't know what Michael charges for envelopes, but from a knowledge standpoint, I'd seriously consider his recommendation if I was looking for envelopes... :)

ya, that's why I kinda want his envelopes, but without the cool handwriting. Since I don't need his full services of list providing and mailing, I just want to take advantage of his cool envelopes that he particularly uses.

Like he said, the popular url's aren't really great in pricing or quantity.

User Stats

Votes
Gary Parker
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Jul 3 2012, 21:44

I hope someone comes up with a good answer. I have searched online a lot and found nothing. I like to use the greeting card size envelopes which are now $.12 each...ouch...at Office Max. They are $.10 on line at least last time I checked. Staples once had an online special for $.05 each and I bought thousands which I have now gone through. I'd sure like the name of your supplier Michael Quarles if you are willing to give it to us.

Gary Buys Houses Logo

User Stats

Votes
Gary Parker
Pro Member
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Jul 3 2012, 21:46

I would buy direct from Michael Quarles if that is something he does as part of his business.

Gary Buys Houses Logo

User Stats

Votes
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied Jul 3 2012, 22:33

Hi Gary.

All of the envelopes I sell are used.

User Stats

Votes
Dave M.
  • Residential Landlord
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Residential Landlord
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 4 2012, 07:39

Why not ask your local print shop where they buy their envelopes in bulk? If you are already giving them business may be an opportunity to strike a deal with them or their distributor. One problem I see with buying paper is even if you get a deal on product, shipping kills it.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jul 4 2012, 09:47

Nick,

Long time lurker, 1st time poster. Not intend to steer business away from Michael either. Not sure if Joshua would delete the links, but I buy my envelopes from xpressdocs.com. I buy window envelops from them for 2.8 cents each. When you're sending out 2,500 letters per month, every penny adds up.

Costco is selling 24lbs paper with 800 pages/ream for $5 each. That's a freaking steal. I typically use 28lbs paper because it separates you from your competition on top of your message.

I buy my printers on Amazon and refill ink/cartridges on supermediastore.com. Of course when I run short on supplies, I have to pay retail prices at Staples or Office Max.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliations with any of these companies. Just want to share where I think you can get good deals on office supplies.

User Stats

Votes
Ann Bellamy
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Replied Jul 4 2012, 10:11

You might also look for bulk / wholesale lots on ebay or amazon

User Stats

Votes
Nick J.
  • Payson, AZ
Votes |
  • Payson, AZ
Replied Jul 4 2012, 10:21
Originally posted by Minh L.:
Nick,

Long time lurker, 1st time poster.

I'm glad you finally jumped in. Thank you for you comment. I'll check out the link you provided. These will be for my targeted farm in and around my own home where I'd like to invest more so I'm looking for non-window, greeting card/invitation/postcard size envelopes. Something slightly nicer that I can spread 1000 letters out over 3-4 months, possibly even multiple times.

thanks again for your input. Stick around and stay active now that you've decided to jump in.

User Stats

Votes
Marc Hughes
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Cypress, TX
Votes |
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Cypress, TX
Replied Jul 4 2012, 13:58

If you do a lot of mailing you may already be aware of this but I thought I'd throw it out there jsut in case.

Make sure they aren't square envelopes and double check the deminsions. Square envelopes and rectanglular envelopes that have L/W proportions less that 1.3 or greater than 2.5 carry a postage surcharge.

User Stats

Votes
Grant Hwang
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Jul 4 2012, 16:35
Hi Gary.

All of the envelopes I sell are used.

What do you mean "used"? Like all the letters that get sent back?

User Stats

Votes
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied Jul 4 2012, 18:10

Hi grant.

The was a really bad attempt at humor. Josh scolded me for saying where I would buy them if i were Nick so I thought I would retract my statement with bad standup.

Nevertheless he now has the name of my supplier so he should be set.

User Stats

Votes
Jared Vidales
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jul 5 2012, 21:05

Alibaba? Tradekey?

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?SearchText=envelopes&IndexArea=Products&fsb=y

When ordering overseas you would usually have to buy a half million, but at fractions of a penny pricing. Maybe 5-10 people can go in on it together so everyone can get the pricing, but not get stuck with a 500,000 envelopes

User Stats

Votes
Nick J.
  • Payson, AZ
Votes |
  • Payson, AZ
Replied Jul 6 2012, 00:20

Holy cow Jared Vidales

that's a lot of envelopes. As Michael Quarles said, I should be good now. I forgot to call them today though.

User Stats

Votes
Jerry Puckett
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Jul 6 2012, 06:35

I nosed around a little yesterday and found this one: http://www.envelopesuperstore.com/envelopes/paper/pastel/blue/envelope-2202.html

I've been using #6 3/4 (3 5/8 x 6 1/2) with good effect. When I tested against invitation (A sized) envelopes, there was no appreciable difference except the price.

This place has pastel colors, and you can add peel and stick. An order of 5000 would only be 0.015 cents apiece, but you'll pay the same $79.57 whether you order 5000 or 9500. At 9500, they're less than a penny apiece at 0.008 cents.

Sounds like a great bargain...I could blow through that many in one summer.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Replied Jul 6 2012, 07:52

Jerry Puckett I looked at your link and I think you misread the price. The pricing chart is per thousand. For 5000 envelopes, the price is $39.99 per thousand. However, I'd love to be wrong about this, and will place an order today if I am.

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Jul 6 2012, 07:59

Perhaps we need to pool our resources and do a bulk envelope purchase among multiple BP members? Only question would be whether the extra shipping charges would negate the savings...

User Stats

Votes
Jared Vidales
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jul 6 2012, 08:13
Originally posted by J Scott:
Perhaps we need to pool our resources and do a bulk envelope purchase among multiple BP members? Only question would be whether the extra shipping charges would negate the savings...

I could help getting in contact with the cheapest supplier who's match a criteria everyone can agree upon. I have some experience dealing with Chinese manufacturers, and they're fairly easy to swindle their prices down to nothing, since all they really care about it making the sale. Usually their prices are FOB(free of board), so shipping would be free.

Since theyre the manufacture, you can specify exact size, color, paper, weight of paper ect. And it looks like if you buy 500,000 you get each piece @ 0.005.
So 1,000 envelopes would 5 bucks. Let me know if you guys want me to get all this info for you.

User Stats

Votes
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied Jul 6 2012, 08:21

Not to be a butt head here.

If you spent this much energy on finding sellers the penny or two would be insignificant. I'm all for being financially responsible however my goodness go buy a friggin house.

Too many investors get caught up in the cheap ****. Start retooling your thought process from how much can I save to how much can I make.

Stop flying discount and start flying first class. Eat a 25 dollar hamburger and uncork a 400 bottle of wine. Unless you're not worth success. If you don't believe you are neither will anyone else and no matter how cheap envelopes are it won't matter.

Okay done ranting.