Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brendan Carlson
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Would you do this deal with the known future CapEx?

Brendan Carlson
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Posted

I have been analyzing an out of state property (640 sqft SFH 2 bed/1 bath) and am contemplating whether it would be a good deal. Here are the numbers:

Anticipated Sale Price: $44,000

Down Payment: $8800

Closing Costs: $2500

Total Investment: $11300

Immediate Repairs: Minor (2% seller concessions should cover the repairs)

Rent: $725/mo (existing tenant, market value is $750)

P&I: $160/mo

Taxes: $130/mo

Insurance: $55/mo

Mgmt Fees: $72.50/mo

Monthly Income: $307.50

I would put away $150 (20% of total rent) of the monthly income to account for maintenance, CapEx, and future vacancies. This would leave me with a cash flow of $157.50/mo. Although that's not a dazzling number, this deal is appealing to me because the property does not need immediate work. However, the reason I am hesitant is because of the known future CapEx:

-Garage roof (250 sqft) will need to be replaced in 2-3 years: $2000

-House roof (640 sqft) will need to be replaced in 5-9 years: $5000

-Water heater is 5 years old and will need to be replaced in 5-7 years: $600

-Stove and fridge are new but after the current tenant moves out I'd add a washer and dryer: $900

-Exterior paint looks good now but will likely need to be redone within 10 years: $1500

-A few of the windows are old and would likely need to be replaced within 10 years: $1500

So that's about $11,500 of known future CapEx. Now, let's say I plan to hold the property for 10 years. So if I put away $150 every month for maintenance, CapEx, and vacancies during these 10 years, this would give me a budget of $18,000. Since $11,500 of that is for CapEx, this means the other $6500 would be for maintenance and vacancies. That's $650/year.

Is $650/year enough for maintenance and vacancy? (average vacancy is every 2 years in the area).

If I were able to cash flow $157.50/mo, after 10 years, this would give me $18,900 of earnings. Which would be a 167% ROI. And this is before appreciation comes into play. Although I'm not counting on appreciation, if I was a betting man, I'd say the appreciation would cause my investment to at least double.

Would you do this deal or is the known future CapEx a red flag?

Loading replies...