Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Upstate New York Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Polanco
  • Yonkers, NY
Votes |
Buying Plot of Land in Columbia County NY for cabin build

Christopher Polanco
  • Yonkers, NY
Posted

Hello everyone. I am considering buying 1 acre of land in Austerlitz, NY Columbia County, on the MA border near the Berkshires. The intent would be to build a small rustic cabin, 400-500 sq ft., for weekend retreats while also rent it out part time, assuming local laws permit. Anyone familiar with the area? I'm a resident of the lower Hudson Valley and have not had the chance to explore that area up there but it seems like its close to a number of nice towns like Chatham, NY and the Berkshires within 15 min, outdoor activities also abound in all seasons. I wouldnt want to spend more than $90-$100k on a build. Does this seem reasonable? Anyone know of any good contractors in that area that do cabin builds? Also the land in question already has a well and septic system with electricity on site as well as a driveway and is zoned for cabins/mobile homes and single family dwellings among a few other things. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Szepessy
  • Catskill, NY
Votes |
  • Catskill, NY
Replied

I grew up in Columbia County (Hudson/Greenport)...about 25 min from Austerlitz area. It is a very beautiful area. Same with the Berkshires. I don't about the building aspect of it, but if you can get it done for a reasonable price, I don't think you'd have any trouble renting it out. You definitely want to check local laws. A lot of areas are cracking down on STR and/or charging fees (taxes) to run one. Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Polanco
  • Yonkers, NY
Votes |
  • Yonkers, NY
Replied

Awesome. Yeah I'm currently checking with the towns code/zoning enforcement officer. I would def want to know that they are friendly to STR's before I make any moves. Thank you.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Starusnak
  • Property Manager
  • Syracuse, NY
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Syracuse, NY
Replied

Hey Chris, I think you can build for that price. A cabin is not usually up to the same building regulations as a new construction home would be. I can help walk you through the process. We are custom home builders but I operate more in the Syracuse area. We build houses for $75-$85 per square foot which is our cost to build and we sell that for $150-$200 per square foot, sometimes our margins are much slimmer depending on the finishes of course. You should be able to get a cabin built around $90k in my opinion. Let me know if you had any plans in mind on the build, did you want to have drywall, wood stove, pellet stove, furnace? Well drilled & septic? 

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Polanco
  • Yonkers, NY
Votes |
  • Yonkers, NY
Replied

Hey Ronald. Thanks for the feedback. This is actually really helpful as I'm doing all this due diligence. What I have in mind is a small 1 room cabin with a loft area. White-washed wood interior. Pellet stove. Floor to ceiling windows in the front. Very basic build for the kitchen and bath. The land Im looking at has a well and septic already in place. Just hoping that a reasonable build could be possible, not trying to spend a fortune. 

User Stats

Votes
Patrick DiDomenico
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Syracuse, NY
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Syracuse, NY
Replied

Look into shipping container houses. You can make them look rustic, if you like. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I keep dismantled old house materials for almost 20 years in the trailers. The last inspection of the timber materials by the professional preservation carpenter was 6-7 years ago. It was buildable condition. 

i am thinking to re-erect the old house somewhere in Columbia County. 

how to find a master preservation carpenter, who can assemble the house at a reasonable price. The size of the house is about 35'x 22'

I do not need a full 2nd floor. Does not make it as a museum condition.  Just make it to move in condition. Simple kitchen and bath, but install geothermal system. I like a chemical free house and garden. 

i wish to know how much it would cost to make it happen. 

my husband became disabled. I continue to work for living, but I have to be his full time caretaker , which requires a lot of energy but not only time. 

makiko Goto-Widerman

User Stats

Votes
Kristine Ann
  • Investor
  • WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State
Votes |
  • Investor
  • WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State
Replied