Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Upstate New York Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Polanco
  • Yonkers, NY
Votes |
Buying Plot of Land in Columbia County NY for cabin build

Christopher Polanco
  • Yonkers, NY
Posted

Hello everyone. I am considering buying 1 acre of land in Austerlitz, NY Columbia County, on the MA border near the Berkshires. The intent would be to build a small rustic cabin, 400-500 sq ft., for weekend retreats while also rent it out part time, assuming local laws permit. Anyone familiar with the area? I'm a resident of the lower Hudson Valley and have not had the chance to explore that area up there but it seems like its close to a number of nice towns like Chatham, NY and the Berkshires within 15 min, outdoor activities also abound in all seasons. I wouldnt want to spend more than $90-$100k on a build. Does this seem reasonable? Anyone know of any good contractors in that area that do cabin builds? Also the land in question already has a well and septic system with electricity on site as well as a driveway and is zoned for cabins/mobile homes and single family dwellings among a few other things. Thank you!

Loading replies...