User Stats

Votes
Chida Truong
Votes |
Pace Morby Mentorship

Chida Truong
Posted Nov 28 2021, 20:26

Hello BP investors,

I haven't seen any recent postings about Pace Morby's Sub To Mentoship program and wanted to see if anyone can give their honest feedback about the program who's joined recently?

I noticed quite a few of the reviews were from dead accounts or 1 and done posters so I was a bit weary about the legitimacy. Being that the cost of the program is about $7800 (amount I gathered from other posts), I didn't want to to make a costly mistake. All feedback greatly appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Boselli
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Oct 27 2023, 07:29

@Chida Truong I know this is an old post but wanted to leave my thoughts here as well...

Does the program cost money? 

Yes, it isn't cheap

Should you still do it? 

In my opinion, I think it has been worth every penny. It is not like most paid mentorships I have heard of where it is a one-time pre-recorded web course then a meeting or two per month and thats it, it is a true community. I would say it is up there and maybe even above BP in terms of the level of people who truly give back and want to see others succeed. 

What do I get from the paid mentorship that I cant just find for free online?

Thousands of hours of recorded private zoom meetings about all kinds of subject matter, a weekly calendar of private zoom meetings with other paid members who are leaders in the community going over everything from mindset to underwriting to cold calling and structuring deals, and tons of other free spinoff value add courses etc that Pace puts together. It is truly an amazing community and the value you get for your money is returned 1000x

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Oct 27 2023, 08:49
Quote from @Chris Boselli:

@Chida Truong I know this is an old post but wanted to leave my thoughts here as well...

Yes, it isn't cheap

Should you still do it? 

In my opinion, I think it has been worth every penny. It is not like most paid mentorships I have heard of where it is a one-time pre-recorded web course then a meeting or two per month and thats it, it is a true community. I would say it is up there and maybe even above BP in terms of the level of people who truly give back and want to see others succeed. 

Thousands of hours of recorded private zoom meetings about all kinds of subject matter, a weekly calendar of private zoom meetings with other paid members who are leaders in the community going over everything from mindset to underwriting to cold calling and structuring deals, and tons of other free spinoff value add courses etc that Pace puts together. It is truly an amazing community and the value you get for your money is returned 1000x

Ya know after a few years of these posts.. to me bottom line is 8k is not a lot of money sure beats the 30 to 40k other gurus end up getting out of students.. and if you all feel you got 8k value then thats all that matters. its a personal decision.. now to flood social media with this go giver stuff is a little silly but OK.

As a investor / broker/ builder / pilot with 50 years in the industry the one thing that I think is dangerous though is unleashing all these beginners who really dont have the capital behind them and showing them and encouraging them how to get into properties with mortgages is others names and the sellers being to naive to understand the huge risk.   You know the whole sub too with no money needed pitch.. thats simply wrong.

Other than that all the other things that get talked about are nothing novel or new just novel or new to newbies.. and you have to hand it to the power of social media and a well financed media campaign that has taken place. It sure worked many drinking the cool aid..

Best of luck with it all. but at this point I think most on BP get the message about this program.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Boselli
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Oct 27 2023, 09:01
Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

Yes, it isn't cheap

Should you still do it? 

Ya know after a few years of these posts.. to me bottom line is 8k is not a lot of money sure beats the 30 to 40k other gurus end up getting out of students.. and if you all feel you got 8k value then thats all that matters. its a personal decision.. now to flood social media with this go giver stuff is a little silly but OK.

As a investor / broker/ builder / pilot with 50 years in the industry the one thing that I think is dangerous though is unleashing all these beginners who really dont have the capital behind them and showing them and encouraging them how to get into properties with mortgages is others names and the sellers being to naive to understand the huge risk.   You know the whole sub too with no money needed pitch.. thats simply wrong.

Other than that all the other things that get talked about are nothing novel or new just novel or new to newbies.. and you have to hand it to the power of social media and a well financed media campaign that has taken place. It sure worked many drinking the cool aid..

Best of luck with it all. but at this point I think most on BP get the message about this program.

Appreciate the feedback Jay! He definitely does market his business a lot but what business owner wouldn't, just a new age with social media. Nothing different than Brandon Turner's "No money down" book I guess...

Concepts definitely aren't new and 95% of deals still require some cash, but just like Brandon Turner's book it simply lays out some alternative options to your standard "go get a loan from the bank" buying/selling real estate methods. I have only been investing for ~5 years myself, but current market conditions force even the best of them to adapt or die!

That being said I don't get anything out of sharing this just leaving my honest opinion so others can make the best decision for themselves, best of luck with your business

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Oct 27 2023, 09:53

Yes, it isn't cheap

Should you still do it? 

Appreciate the feedback Jay! He definitely does market his business a lot but what business owner wouldn't, just a new age with social media. Nothing different than Brandon Turner's "No money down" book I guess...

Concepts definitely aren't new and 95% of deals still require some cash, but just like Brandon Turner's book it simply lays out some alternative options to your standard "go get a loan from the bank" buying/selling real estate methods. I have only been investing for ~5 years myself, but current market conditions force even the best of them to adapt or die!

That being said I don't get anything out of sharing this just leaving my honest opinion so others can make the best decision for themselves, best of luck with your business

Just for giggles, since he is "worth millions" he says in one of his videos, ask him why he just borrowed $100,000 against his personal home from a person rather than a bank and didn't use title? All recordings are public record - this one is 20230452856

What's that about?

And what is most alarming, is he didn't have a title report run for the gator lender. That seems to break a scared rule. What's going on ? How bad does this get? I hope that isn't what he is teaching the "gator community". Seems if they spent more to get a better guru, giving good advice, it would pay off in spades.

Did you know that if you are a gator lender lending in second position (after a sub to mortgage for instance), 

and you don't have a title report run, 

1. you may not even be lending against the property you are thinking you're lending aginst

2. the person you are giving money to may not be the owner 

3. there may be other loans ahead of you on the property which makes your risk much higher

4. you may be lending more than the property is worth and not now it

5. if the guy stops making payments on the first and it goes into foreclosure, you lose your money

That's some pretty serious stuff 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Boselli
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Oct 27 2023, 10:28
Quote from @Account Closed:

Yes, it isn't cheap

Should you still do it? 

Just for giggles, since he is "worth millions" he says in one of his videos, ask him why he just borrowed $100,000 against his personal home from a person rather than a bank and didn't use title? All recordings are public record - this one is 20230452856

What's that about?

And what is most alarming, is he didn't have a title report run for the gator lender. That seems to break a scared rule. What's going on ? How bad does this get? I hope that isn't what he is teaching the "gator community". Seems if they spent more to get a better guru, giving good advice, it would pay off in spades.

Did you know that if you are a gator lender lending in second position (after a sub to mortgage for instance), 

1. you may not even be lending against the property you are thinking you're lending aginst

3. there may be other loans ahead of you on the property which makes your risk much higher

5. if the guy stops making payments on the first and it goes into foreclosure, you lose your money

I don't have anything to do with the "gator" program so I can't really speak to that one! My post was regarding my experience with the mentorship, community, and value that I feel it brings so everyone can make their own decision. Not trying to sway anyone either way.

Also not sure about the specific transaction you are talking about, but if you saw it on YouTube it is likely just a marketing move to drive attention and traffic to his work (which seems to have worked here!). You obviously need to protect yourself in this industry, and not running title or sending money to any person/entity outside of escrow is one of the primary things is a big no no 

Account Closed
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Oct 27 2023, 10:52

Yes, it isn't cheap

Should you still do it? 

What's that about?

I don't have anything to do with the "gator" program so I can't really speak to that one! My post was regarding my experience with the mentorship, community, and value that I feel it brings so everyone can make their own decision. Not trying to sway anyone either way.

Also not sure about the specific transaction you are talking about, but if you saw it on YouTube it is likely just a marketing move to drive attention and traffic to his work (which seems to have worked here!). You obviously need to protect yourself in this industry, and not running title or sending money to any person/entity outside of escrow is one of the primary things is a big no no 

Sure, but a rich mentor who needs to borrow $100,000 against his own property?

Seems a little suspect about either what he teaches, his ability to manage money or his "success". I’d be cautious.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Boselli
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Oct 27 2023, 11:21
Quote from @Account Closed

What's that about?

Seems a little suspect about either what he teaches, his ability to manage money or his "success". I’d be cautious.

Like I said every story has two sides! He does a lot just to show how it can be done and to help other students succeed but again not sure about this particular situation so I can't speak to it. If you had a negative experience directly that would be one thing, but anything else is purely speculation from the outside looking in. 

Again just sharing my experience, and I have had nothing but good a good one. Not trying to force anybody to join!

Best of luck with your own Subject To mentorship program 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 27 2023, 14:59
Quote from @Jonathan Greene:

I think Pace is smart and knows a lot, but why pay $7,800 when he gives away all of the information to understand it for free? If you are able to implement on your own, you can get all you need for free for sure. If you want the camaraderie of the group, etc. I am sure it's not a scam at all and would be of value, I just don't think anyone should be paying for these courses when it's all available on YouTube or in blogs or on podcasts for free.

Hey Guys, if you are looking to start investing in real estate, if you are already investing in real estate and want to grow your portfolio, then subto is the place to be. Pace Morby, the amazing human being that he is, he gives and gives so much value that once you are in the community there in no other way but to succeed. The content on youtube is just for educational purpose, inside the course there is much more value. Do not think twice, just join in and grow your real estate portfolio.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 28 2023, 17:04

PACE MORBY SUBTO - Truth of it is...

I know a lot of people are skeptical of programs. I have paid a combined total of roughly $75k for mentorships, courses, and programs in the last 18 months. I own my own marketing company and properties in the PNW. I am NOT a large investor but working towards bridging the gap I paid for and joined the subto community. 
I have flown all over the country and met people and experienced the value each program I have joined offers. I will say this, for what Pace Morby's program is it should be 5x the cost. Anyone, and I mean anyone who says its not worth what he charges falls in one of three categories:

1- Already thriving and do not feel they need extra assistance in their REI journey.

2- Believe it is just a course and don't want to spend that much money on an education. Or they did spend the money and they simply looked at it as a course. 

3- You can just get the information for free online or somewhere else for cheaper. 

These folks dont understand what SUBTO is aside from an "education" or "mentorship". It is a massive community with PMLs and like minded folks who are doing deals together. People are doing deals unlike anywhere else I have seen. This is also NOT just another 6 month program. It is a lifetime of relationships with people who want to partner or learn from each other and share success. As someone who has been through the countless "mentorships" I have found value but never as much as this. I dropped over $50k on one mentorship which pales in comparison to Pace's community with Subto. 

This is not some overhyped review to get you to join. I would actually prefer you don't because if you need convincing you probably won't actually take action and do deals. you will just watch videos and live inside the zoom vault watching content never making it happen. If you do need convincing then just take on the free content online. You will get less than 10% of what you get within Subto, and each year that % drops more and more. 

I'll just say this. i was a full time Police Officer working in the largest agency in the state and feeling burnt out. This community gave me both growth in REI and friends and a community i LOVE connecting with. The single greatest financial decision I have ever made and its more than paid for itself. But I took action and did not sit idle.

Note: this review and so many other ones are because Pace has given his community some MASSIVE value and he just asked us to find ways to share the value he gives without going overboard. I would love to say more but people wont believe the truth, they will only believe what they think is true. Join or dont - it is truly only going to affect you alone. Find me on social media and reach out if youd like. Instagram - bwillyg , FB - GJ Wilson. Whatever you do, I hope the future is bright for you! The best program is the one you will use and connect with the most. Find that one and get going! 

Account Closed
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Oct 28 2023, 20:23
Quote from @Garret Wilson:

I know a lot of people are skeptical of programs. I have paid a combined total of roughly $75k for mentorships, courses, and programs in the last 18 months. I own my own marketing company and properties in the PNW. I am NOT a large investor but working towards bridging the gap I paid for and joined the subto community. 
I have flown all over the country and met people and experienced the value each program I have joined offers. I will say this, for what Pace Morby's program is it should be 5x the cost. Anyone, and I mean anyone who says its not worth what he charges falls in one of three categories:

1- Already thriving and do not feel they need extra assistance in their REI journey.

2- Believe it is just a course and don't want to spend that much money on an education. Or they did spend the money and they simply looked at it as a course. 

3- You can just get the information for free online or somewhere else for cheaper. 

These folks dont understand what SUBTO is aside from an "education" or "mentorship". It is a massive community with PMLs and like minded folks who are doing deals together. People are doing deals unlike anywhere else I have seen. This is also NOT just another 6 month program. It is a lifetime of relationships with people who want to partner or learn from each other and share success. As someone who has been through the countless "mentorships" I have found value but never as much as this. I dropped over $50k on one mentorship which pales in comparison to Pace's community with Subto. 

This is not some overhyped review to get you to join. I would actually prefer you don't because if you need convincing you probably won't actually take action and do deals. you will just watch videos and live inside the zoom vault watching content never making it happen. If you do need convincing then just take on the free content online. You will get less than 10% of what you get within Subto, and each year that % drops more and more. 

I'll just say this. i was a full time Police Officer working in the largest agency in the state and feeling burnt out. This community gave me both growth in REI and friends and a community i LOVE connecting with. The single greatest financial decision I have ever made and its more than paid for itself. But I took action and did not sit idle.

Note: this review and so many other ones are because Pace has given his community some MASSIVE value and he just asked us to find ways to share the value he gives without going overboard. I would love to say more but people wont believe the truth, they will only believe what they think is true. Join or dont - it is truly only going to affect you alone. Find me on social media and reach out if youd like. Instagram - bwillyg , FB - GJ Wilson. Whatever you do, I hope the future is bright for you! The best program is the one you will use and connect with the most. Find that one and get going! 

Your comment: "a community i LOVE connecting with. The single greatest financial decision I have ever made and its more than paid for itself."

But no comments on how it has helped you do deals, make money?

I guess if your goal was to feel "welcome" somewhere, then you have achieved your goal. I'm glad you are finally happy. 

Maybe it's more of a church or social club than an investment group. I'll have to give that some thought.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 28 2023, 20:36

Your comment: "a community i LOVE connecting with. The single greatest financial decision I have ever made and its more than paid for itself."

I guess if your goal was to feel "welcome" somewhere, then you have achieved your goal. I'm glad you are finally happy. 

Maybe it's more of a church or social club than an investment group. I'll have to give that some thought.

My friend, why would I post a positive review strictly for feel good of a community? I have my Marine Corps community, my Law enforcement community, my church and family communities - but those do not equate to the best financial decision I have ever made... If you do deals you know what I meant haha, come on now. 
I have purchased more deals because of the community, I have shifted not just what I buy but how I dispo what I buy because of the insight from those in this community. It is NOT about feeling good, it is about doing good. As I stated before my friend, if it is not for you then it is not for you; but for those who want like minded people to connect with - who you can look someone up in any state in the country and have a network of buyers within an hour, or raise PM rapidly... then its a community worth being in. 

But by all means, read between the lines and look for a toxic interpretation of a good thing. My continued success and those in subto will not be impacted from you not joining a community. It actually doesnt matter at all to anyone what you DONT do... 

You do NOT need to join subto to be successful. You also don't need to raise PM but it definitely helps to not do it all on your own ! Cheers to your success regardless of what you do or dont do! 

User Stats

Votes
Steve K.#3 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
Steve K.#3 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Replied Oct 28 2023, 20:56

Yes, it isn't cheap

Should you still do it? 

What's that about?

That could be related the $1M or so lost earlier this year in that crypto scam thing. Seems like Gator Lending thing is ripe for scammers too. I wonder how much vetting is actually going on or if there are any protections in place for rampant scamming in "the community". I know "it's a community" and "it's forever" and they're all go-givers there, but if some of them end up being takers things could get ugly quick. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Oct 29 2023, 08:06
Quote from @Steve K.:

Yes, it isn't cheap

Should you still do it? 

What's that about?

That could be related the $1M or so lost earlier this year in that crypto scam thing. Seems like Gator Lending thing is ripe for scammers too. I wonder how much vetting is actually going on or if there are any protections in place for rampant scamming in "the community". I know "it's a community" and "it's forever" and they're all go-givers there, but if some of them end up being takers things could get ugly quick. 

that was the issue with the connected investor site.. totally full of scammers.  BP does as good as job as possible trying to filter out the bad guys that come on this site to try to scam BP members but the scammers still get through they always will.  I am sure there are scammers on Morby sites as well you just can help it in today's world of everyone relying on the internet and SM to find business relationships.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Boselli
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Oct 29 2023, 20:37

My friend, why would I post a positive review strictly for feel good of a community? I have my Marine Corps community, my Law enforcement community, my church and family communities - but those do not equate to the best financial decision I have ever made... If you do deals you know what I meant haha, come on now. 
I have purchased more deals because of the community, I have shifted not just what I buy but how I dispo what I buy because of the insight from those in this community. It is NOT about feeling good, it is about doing good. As I stated before my friend, if it is not for you then it is not for you; but for those who want like minded people to connect with - who you can look someone up in any state in the country and have a network of buyers within an hour, or raise PM rapidly... then its a community worth being in. 

But by all means, read between the lines and look for a toxic interpretation of a good thing. My continued success and those in subto will not be impacted from you not joining a community. It actually doesnt matter at all to anyone what you DONT do... 

You do NOT need to join subto to be successful. You also don't need to raise PM but it definitely helps to not do it all on your own ! Cheers to your success regardless of what you do or dont do! 

I wouldn't waste too much time on that guy, maybe he is just frustrated his own creative finance mentorship/course doesn't do as well or something but not sure why else he would follow this thread and troll all of the positive comments...

End of the day we know the value SubTo has brought us and just trying to share our thoughts so others can make their own decisions

User Stats

Votes
Chris Boselli
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Oct 29 2023, 20:46
Quote from @Steve K.:

Yes, it isn't cheap

Should you still do it? 

What's that about?

that was the issue with the connected investor site.. totally full of scammers.  BP does as good as job as possible trying to filter out the bad guys that come on this site to try to scam BP members but the scammers still get through they always will.  I am sure there are scammers on Morby sites as well you just can help it in today's world of everyone relying on the internet and SM to find business relationships.

100% agree, scammers abound no matter where you look. Only going to continue to get worse with the digitization of things like notaries, etc.

Pace + his team recently organized a Zoom meeting with the Attorney Generals of Utah and California where they discussed some of the new big scams in the world of real estate...One of the biggest things they are seeing is people falsifying ownership of raw land and listing on MLS for big discounts WITH RE AGENTS and then selling as if they own the land.

Title closes, money is transferred, then the cash disappears into offshore accounts. Actual owners of the land, new owners, title companies, and even RE Agents who represented fake buyers now all left to pick up the pieces with huge legal implications for title and agents, some pretty scary stuff

Account Closed
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Oct 29 2023, 22:36
Quote from @Steve K.:

Yes, it isn't cheap

Should you still do it? 

What's that about?

100% agree, scammers abound no matter where you look. Only going to continue to get worse with the digitization of things like notaries, etc.

Pace + his team recently organized a Zoom meeting with the Attorney Generals of Utah and California where they discussed some of the new big scams in the world of real estate...One of the biggest things they are seeing is people falsifying ownership of raw land and listing on MLS for big discounts WITH RE AGENTS and then selling as if they own the land.

Title closes, money is transferred, then the cash disappears into offshore accounts. Actual owners of the land, new owners, title companies, and even RE Agents who represented fake buyers now all left to pick up the pieces with huge legal implications for title and agents, some pretty scary stuff

Your comment:"Not trying to sway anyone either way." is actually pretty funny as you go on and on defending Pace Morby.

@Chris Boselli: Your comment: "Pace + his team recently organized a Zoom meeting with the Attorney Generals of Utah and California"

I must correct you. The attorney general of the state of California was NOT on his podcast. The guy introduces himself as an Investigator for the AG in Alameda county. That is a heck of a difference and the AGs office of California would likely send you a "cease & desist" order for a stunt like that.

When a devotee of a guru pushes misinformation, there can only be two reasons

1. He is being paid a LOT of money to shill for him or

2. He has no idea how to separate truth from fiction and is a danger to invest with.

Anyway, you do an awful lot of arguing for Pace Morby even though you claim to not care one way or the other what people do.

There is something fishy here.

One thing Pace said in the podcast (which I watched) was to "watch out for gurus who borrow money".  Which he just did to the tune of $100,000 in second position, against his personal home, with no title search (alarm bells go off) by a gator lender, probably from his retirement account, a non accredited borrrower.

Does that even seem wise?

I've had my say "Buyer Beware"!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Boselli
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Oct 30 2023, 03:08
Quote from @Steve K.:

Yes, it isn't cheap

Should you still do it? 

What's that about?

Your comment:"Not trying to sway anyone either way." is actually pretty funny as you go on and on defending Pace Morby.

@Chris Boselli: Your comment: "Pace + his team recently organized a Zoom meeting with the Attorney Generals of Utah and California"

I must correct you. The attorney general of the state of California was NOT on his podcast. The guy introduces himself as an Investigator for the AG in Alameda county. That is a heck of a difference and the AGs office of California would likely send you a "cease & desist" order for a stunt like that.

When a devotee of a guru pushes misinformation, there can only be two reasons

1. He is being paid a LOT of money to shill for him or

2. He has no idea how to separate truth from fiction and is a danger to invest with.

Anyway, you do an awful lot of arguing for Pace Morby even though you claim to not care one way or the other what people do.

There is something fishy here.

One thing Pace said in the podcast (which I watched) was to "watch out for gurus who borrow money".  Which he just did to the tune of $100,000 in second position, against his personal home, with no title search (alarm bells go off) by a gator lender, probably from his retirement account, a non accredited borrrower.

Does that even seem wise?

I've had my say "Buyer Beware"!

Man I wish I was being paid to post opinions on the internet! I’m not sure what Pace Morby or that community did to you but keep on trolling ✌️

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Oct 30 2023, 06:32
Quote from @Steve K.:

Yes, it isn't cheap

Should you still do it? 

What's that about?

ya I made a post about that subject about 3 months ago on BP.. we got a bulletin from the BRE in CA. ( I am a CA RE BROker. ) so i actually read the monthly bulletins' .  the other one is fraudsters putting fake QR codes on top real ones. U know the ones on Real estate signs.. you hit that and it attacks your phone.. Restaurants etc.  I no longer will use Q R codes on my phone at all. Not that I did before anyway I dont trust that stuff.

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Oct 30 2023, 08:34

Let’s separate the very DIFFERENT things we are talking about here….I think they are being “lumped together” resulting in a lack of clarity 

1. Outright scams. -  these are like the famous “Nigerian Scam” , i.e., “my cousin is the Prince of Nigeria and has $2 billion tied up in petrodollars; if you send me $20k US I will share half with you when he receives it” 

2. Fraud  - A guru states that using his methods will lead to riches but his methods are actually illegal, or states he has been very successful utilizing this method and the truth is he hasn’t.

3. Guru BS - A guru charges $30k for mentorship of a program that while legal is only doable in a very limited number of circumstances and or his “training” in no way prepares the student to successfully implement any real estate investment strategy let alone the one the guru is selling 

4. Guru Buyer Beware - in this circumstance the guru does offer sound investment advice, methodology, and has been successful himself using this.  However, what he offers is available for $15 on the internet, and the other $39,985 that is paying for “mentorship” gets you 2 hours a week with an “advisor” who has never personally done a deal and whose main qualification was that he failed as a salesperson selling the gurus mentorships. 

BTW../.history of the “real estate guru”

1971 - Bill Nickerson, author of the first and maybe the best small investor real estate book “How I Turned $5,000 into $5million in Real Estate in my Spare Time” teams with Albert Lowery, a successful disciple of Nickerson’s methodology to form the Nickerson - Lowery seminars.  They travel the country setting up free introductory courses in Holiday Inns.

1977 - Robert Allen, a California single family home investor, riding the California inflationary price increases.published a book “Nothing Down’ and crosses the country with his own “introductory workshop”. People who sign up for his course automatically become members of the “RAND” clubs (Robert Allen Nothing Down clubs) where the emphasis is on buying real estate with “nothing” down.

1979 - Wade Cook (convicted felon), Ted Thomas, Carlton Sheets, and Ed Beckley pioneer using late night infomercials to sell their books, tapes. and “complete systems” for $999 discount to $599 if “you act now”

1981 - Real estate investment clubs are formed around the country following a REIA formula - many RAND clubs are merged into these REIAs

1981 - Jimmy Napier, Joe Land, Ernie Kessler, and John Beck appear at REIA Clubs as featured guest speakers, selling books, tapes, etc "in the back of the room".

1983-1995 - The guru industry is dominated by late night infomercial gurus, many trying to disguise the commercial as if they’re a guest on a talk show.  They all push ‘flipping” houses, and the ability to do so with “no cash or credit”.  Dave Del Gotto, Tony Hoffman, Tom Vu and of course Carlton Sheets dominate the after midnight VHS stations and secondary cable stations

1996 - First professional seminar company out of Salt Lake City enters the field hiring a professional actor to front as the guru.  It almost falls apart when they make the mistake of having this “guru” actor give a talk at the Realty Investment Club of Houston and during the question and answer period he is stumped by questions he obviously does not understand and is heard cursing into the microphone before stating that he’s late for his flight out, but would be happy to answer any questions by mail. 

1996 - 2023 - The formula is refined; a seminar company operating out of Salt Lake City,Utah, or Las Vegas,Nevada develops a complete marketing and sales program for real estate gurus.  Wanna be gurus, usually salespeople with little real estate investing experience, “audition” with the seminar companies akin to a screen test” in Hollywood.  Those successful are allowed to pay an upfront fee to the seminar company, and agree to pay ongoing royalties based on sales.  The method consists of marketing/publicizing the guru to create demand for the initial “free seminar”, where a pitch is made for a low priced $99 - $199 weekend workshop.  Those that sign up for the workshop  - bring your spouse at no additional charge! - are subject to a hard sell by professional salespeople roaming the workshop to sign up for a $20k - $40 k complete mentorship program.  

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Oct 30 2023, 09:52
Quote from @Don Konipol:

Let’s separate the very DIFFERENT things we are talking about here….I think they are being “lumped together” resulting in a lack of clarity 

1. Outright scams. -  these are like the famous “Nigerian Scam” , i.e., “my cousin is the Prince of Nigeria and has $2 billion tied up in petrodollars; if you send me $20k US I will share half with you when he receives it” 

2. Fraud  - A guru states that using his methods will lead to riches but his methods are actually illegal, or states he has been very successful utilizing this method and the truth is he hasn’t.

3. Guru BS - A guru charges $30k for mentorship of a program that while legal is only doable in a very limited number of circumstances and or his “training” in no way prepares the student to successfully implement any real estate investment strategy let alone the one the guru is selling 

4. Guru Buyer Beware - in this circumstance the guru does offer sound investment advice, methodology, and has been successful himself using this.  However, what he offers is available for $15 on the internet, and the other $39,985 that is paying for “mentorship” gets you 2 hours a week with an “advisor” who has never personally done a deal and whose main qualification was that he failed as a salesperson selling the gurus mentorships. 

BTW../.history of the “real estate guru”

1971 - Bill Nickerson, author of the first and maybe the best small investor real estate book “How I Turned $5,000 into $5million in Real Estate in my Spare Time” teams with Albert Lowery, a successful disciple of Nickerson’s methodology to form the Nickerson - Lowery seminars.  They travel the country setting up free introductory courses in Holiday Inns.

1977 - Robert Allen, a California single family home investor, riding the California inflationary price increases.published a book “Nothing Down’ and crosses the country with his own “introductory workshop”. People who sign up for his course automatically become members of the “RAND” clubs (Robert Allen Nothing Down clubs) where the emphasis is on buying real estate with “nothing” down.

1979 - Wade Cook (convicted felon), Ted Thomas, Carlton Sheets, and Ed Beckley pioneer using late night infomercials to sell their books, tapes. and “complete systems” for $999 discount to $599 if “you act now”

1981 - Real estate investment clubs are formed around the country following a REIA formula - many RAND clubs are merged into these REIAs

1981 - Jimmy Napier, Joe Land, Ernie Kessler, and John Beck appear at REIA Clubs as featured guest speakers, selling books, tapes, etc "in the back of the room".

1983-1995 - The guru industry is dominated by late night infomercial gurus, many trying to disguise the commercial as if they’re a guest on a talk show.  They all push ‘flipping” houses, and the ability to do so with “no cash or credit”.  Dave Del Gotto, Tony Hoffman, Tom Vu and of course Carlton Sheets dominate the after midnight VHS stations and secondary cable stations

1996 - First professional seminar company out of Salt Lake City enters the field hiring a professional actor to front as the guru.  It almost falls apart when they make the mistake of having this “guru” actor give a talk at the Realty Investment Club of Houston and during the question and answer period he is stumped by questions he obviously does not understand and is heard cursing into the microphone before stating that he’s late for his flight out, but would be happy to answer any questions by mail. 

1996 - 2023 - The formula is refined; a seminar company operating out of Salt Lake City,Utah, or Las Vegas,Nevada develops a complete marketing and sales program for real estate gurus.  Wanna be gurus, usually salespeople with little real estate investing experience, “audition” with the seminar companies akin to a screen test” in Hollywood.  Those successful are allowed to pay an upfront fee to the seminar company, and agree to pay ongoing royalties based on sales.  The method consists of marketing/publicizing the guru to create demand for the initial “free seminar”, where a pitch is made for a low priced $99 - $199 weekend workshop.  Those that sign up for the workshop  - bring your spouse at no additional charge! - are subject to a hard sell by professional salespeople roaming the workshop to sign up for a $20k - $40 k complete mentorship program.  

Very good summation Don..  Although Dave Del Gotto name is Del Dotto  now successful vintner in the Napa Valley..  I used to live across the street from his Atlas Peak winery and would catch him at late afternoon tastings for some reminiscing on the old days.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Oct 30 2023, 10:37
Quote from @Jeff Langham:

I currently live in Pacific Grove, in Monterey county, California. I became financially independent through real estate investing in 2020, have been a landlord since 2004, and joined the Subto mentorship because I feel that the market is ripe for more creative deals. Below is my summary of my experience since joining last November:

1. Network of People, Friends That Do Deals Together

We have met our best friends in this community, not an exaggeration. Like-minded investors who give each other the best deals because we want our friends to succeed. We bought our first deal 2 months after joining from another Subto member.

2. Creative Finance Training and Paperwork

The paperwork alone has made this mentorship pay for itself. The creative contracts and the zoom recordings on the particulars have been extremely valuable.

3. Live Zooms (13 - 20 per week), Active Role Playing

There are very talented and successful people in this mentorship, many are making six figures or more each month and I have received first-hand role playing coaching, live from some of these people, free of charge!

4. Professional Undwriter On Staff

Pace pays a professional underwriter to be on staff, over $250k per year I believe, just to underwrite everyone's deals, residential and commercial, for free. Crazy value. 

5. Meetups

We have gone to several meetups in San Jose, Santa Cruz, Orlando, Los Angeles, and have met newbies along with extremely successful investors that have a huge go-giver mentality, thanks to Pace Morby's desire for successful mentees to give back to newbie. 

I am now under contract with my first creative deal in San Antonio, a Subto deal that we might wholesale or keep for ourselves. I am confident if I were to have started taking action sooner I would have had many more deals under my belt but I was a knucklehead and was swinging hammers on my fixer-upper instead of hiring a contractor. My eyes have been opened to new opportunities to grow our portfolio, thanks to Pace and the Subto mentorship. Hands down the best decision of my investing career. 

If anyone is interested in learning more about Subto or wants a discount link to sign up, DM me. 

Jeff,  you were doing good until the link for a discount.. so it appears if you do bring in other folks there is some benefit to you making these posts?  Which is OK.. but it is a little MLM ish :)

User Stats

Votes
Michelle Harrington
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Jose
Votes |
  • San Jose
Replied Oct 30 2023, 11:00

@Jeff Langham, I'm thinking of joining to the Pace Morby's Subto Community. Seems legit. Thanks for sharing your input!

User Stats

Votes
Michelle Harrington
  • San Jose
Votes |
  • San Jose
Replied Oct 30 2023, 11:06

@Jonathan Greene I know this post is old. but this definitely helped me decide if I should spend thousands of dollars with Subto community or just continue with what I'm doing right now by learning from all the free information in YouTube, google etc. and communicating with experience ones here in Bigger Pockets. ;) Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Greene#2 Starting Out Contributor
  • Specialist
  • Mendham, NJ
Votes |
Jonathan Greene#2 Starting Out Contributor
  • Specialist
  • Mendham, NJ
Replied Oct 30 2023, 11:42
Quote from @Michelle Harrington:

@Jonathan Greene I know this post is old. but this definitely helped me decide if I should spend thousands of dollars with Subto community or just continue with what I'm doing right now by learning from all the free information in YouTube, google etc. and communicating with experience ones here in Bigger Pockets. ;) Thank you!

I think Pace is the real deal and I know a lot of people who crush in the SubTo Community, but too many people think signing up gets you a win. It's mostly user error when people fail so with someone like Pace, there is a TON of free information to sample first and read his book before spending up on the big one.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Langham
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA
Replied Oct 30 2023, 12:42
Quote from @Jeff Langham:

I currently live in Pacific Grove, in Monterey county, California. I became financially independent through real estate investing in 2020, have been a landlord since 2004, and joined the Subto mentorship because I feel that the market is ripe for more creative deals. Below is my summary of my experience since joining last November:

1. Network of People, Friends That Do Deals Together

We have met our best friends in this community, not an exaggeration. Like-minded investors who give each other the best deals because we want our friends to succeed. We bought our first deal 2 months after joining from another Subto member.

2. Creative Finance Training and Paperwork

The paperwork alone has made this mentorship pay for itself. The creative contracts and the zoom recordings on the particulars have been extremely valuable.

3. Live Zooms (13 - 20 per week), Active Role Playing

There are very talented and successful people in this mentorship, many are making six figures or more each month and I have received first-hand role playing coaching, live from some of these people, free of charge!

4. Professional Undwriter On Staff

Pace pays a professional underwriter to be on staff, over $250k per year I believe, just to underwrite everyone's deals, residential and commercial, for free. Crazy value. 

5. Meetups

We have gone to several meetups in San Jose, Santa Cruz, Orlando, Los Angeles, and have met newbies along with extremely successful investors that have a huge go-giver mentality, thanks to Pace Morby's desire for successful mentees to give back to newbie. 

I am now under contract with my first creative deal in San Antonio, a Subto deal that we might wholesale or keep for ourselves. I am confident if I were to have started taking action sooner I would have had many more deals under my belt but I was a knucklehead and was swinging hammers on my fixer-upper instead of hiring a contractor. My eyes have been opened to new opportunities to grow our portfolio, thanks to Pace and the Subto mentorship. Hands down the best decision of my investing career. 

If anyone is interested in learning more about Subto or wants a discount link to sign up, DM me. 

Jeff,  you were doing good until the link for a discount.. so it appears if you do bring in other folks there is some benefit to you making these posts?  Which is OK.. but it is a little MLM ish :)

@Jay Hinrichs some people sign up and pay full price and wish they knew that Subto students that refer them get a discount. I understand what you're saying but wouldn't you like to know if there was a discount on something before you invest in it?