GCs, architects/designers, and lawyers in Portland, OR

GCs, architects/designers, and lawyers in Portland, OR

Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hi Everyone,

I am beginning planning for a new build 14-18 unit, ~13,000 sq ft rental property in Portland, OR. I am starting to build up the team of the various external contractors I will need for the project. Does anyone have recommendations or suggestions for general contractors and architects with experience dealing with the city of Portland for a moderate size project like this? 

I am also interested in finding a local, reasonably priced, real estate lawyer who could assist me with the Land Use application process and potential tenant issues down the road. 

Any input would be much appreciated. 

Best,

Elliott

0Reply
6 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
8y

@Account Closed  check in with us 3 years from now when you have permits in hand  LOL.. just being facetious but city of Portland the city that can.. CaNNOT they are horrid to work with these days..

if you doing zone change and other major changes your in for a long road

Emerio design works in the city I have faster permits on one of my jobs.. but they just marshal the permits once you get check sheets and you will get check sheets its still up to you to circle back to your architect land planner etc to make the changes the city wants..  

I am personally done in the city of Portlandia.. I have 3 more to go .. only way I would build there now is lot confirmations or corner lots.. those seems to allow up sizing or zoning .. but this last one I did in a R2A zone was just a joke and took 2 freaking years to get through the city  .. crazy.. one department does not know what the other is doing.

its kind of like the FBI and CIA prior to 911...  

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2013 · 85 posts · 37 votes
    8y

    I use faster permit to get through the planning and permitting process with the city.  They are very knowledgeable and fast.  Price is reasonable.   Sounds like a great plan.  Good luck! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 338 posts · 332 votes
    8y

    Congrats on your project, @Elliott Gansner!  What aesthetic/style are you going for?  There are many great architecture firms that do beautiful Pacific Northwest modern, or just modern/contemporary in Portland.  

    For a lawyer, I've worked with @Shawn Morgan on some property boundary issues; he's friendly, fair, and knowledgeable.  I don't know what types of work he prefers to take on, but I do know he has rental properties of his own and also employs staff who manage property for others.  

    You said you want help with a land use application.  Are you changing uses from what is currently on the property?  Are you wanting to apply for a variance to change zoning?  If you are changing uses, @Mike Nuss has done this with an adaptive re-use from residential apartments to commercial hotel. He may have some insight into that process, in case you run into a snag.  But it sounds like maybe you're referring to just the regular permitting process?  If you're not changing uses, permitting will probably be more straightforward, though I recommend an early assistance meeting with BDS to get all your questions answered (and in writing; I recommend paying for a copy of the meeting notes) upfront.  

    As far as GCs go, that's the million dollar question.  If you find someone, I recommend checking their references (not just the ones they give you), checking how long they've been in business, checking their BBB ratings and their CCB license page online, and also making sure that you and they mesh, personality-wise.  I also recommend structuring payment as periodic draws based on completed phases of the project/punchlists, rather than providing any portion of payment in advance.  Good luck!  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    @Account Closed  check in with us 3 years from now when you have permits in hand  LOL.. just being facetious but city of Portland the city that can.. CaNNOT they are horrid to work with these days..

    if you doing zone change and other major changes your in for a long road

    Emerio design works in the city I have faster permits on one of my jobs.. but they just marshal the permits once you get check sheets and you will get check sheets its still up to you to circle back to your architect land planner etc to make the changes the city wants..  

    I am personally done in the city of Portlandia.. I have 3 more to go .. only way I would build there now is lot confirmations or corner lots.. those seems to allow up sizing or zoning .. but this last one I did in a R2A zone was just a joke and took 2 freaking years to get through the city  .. crazy.. one department does not know what the other is doing.

    its kind of like the FBI and CIA prior to 911...  

  • Mike NussPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 451 posts · 328 votes
    8y

    @Elliott Gansner I second @Tony Ngo about faster permits. If you're just needing help with the application process, they're the group to go to. We have multiple projects with them right now.

    Also, @danni is right on about @shawn morgan. He's our go to attorney in this field. 

    I'm happy to chime in on some property specific stuff too if you would like. Feel free to dm me. 

    Thanks!

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 213 posts · 60 votes
    8y

    Let me know if I can provide any value. I would need to know little more about what type of project you are trying to accomplish before i could push you in any direction. 

  • Vendor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2017 · 65 posts · 31 votes
    8y

    @Elliott Gansner
    Are you planning on going for any of the Energy Trust of Oregon Incentives or Rebates? There are better and cheaper ways than having to use Earth Advantage. You may be eligible for thousands of dollars from their incentives. This is above and beyond what is required with the Home Energy Score (HES) if you are building within Portland city limits.

    Please reach out if interested. 

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 182 posts · 115 votes
    8y
    Jay Hinrichs Love the honesty Jay!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.