Thoughts on Cleveland REI after a 4+ day investor visit

Thoughts on Cleveland REI after a 4+ day investor visit

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 476 votes

I became interested in the Cleveland/Cuyahoga County market around May of this year. After several months of talking to folks on BP (and others outside of BP who have invested there or lived in the area), I decided to take a trip with an awesome fellow BP colleague, like myself from LA, and a good friend from school who also invests. He's the first one I first talked about this Cleveland idea with. I've done deals locally but am a newer investor for sure. 

We booked an Airbnb in Cleveland Heights. Took a red eye flight from LA, landed early Thursday morning (10/11/18), and had our first meeting just a couple of hours after getting to our pad, and the day didn't finish until almost 9 PM. The other days were a bit less crazy but not by that much - we stayed pretty busy the entire time! 

I have lived mainly in California (LA area, and SF for a bit), as well as NYC for around five years, so am very much a coastal big city person. Thus, I did not know what to expect. All I knew of Cleveland were the sports teams (let's be honest, mainly just the Cavs and Indians, lol), Bone Thugs N Harmony rap group, and I'd heard of Cleveland Clinic. Very stereotypical, I know. 

Anyhow, here are some thoughts on what I learned and observed in my time there. Hope it is helpful to folks who are as new to the Cleveland market as I am. 

1. If you are considering investing here, DEFINITELY visit for several days. You are spending hard-earned money in a place where you don't live. Why not take a trip, to see what you are getting in to? It is a sizable area with many neighborhoods, suburbs etc. You also need to get to know the typical ins and outs of Cleveland properties, especially basements and the issues that come with them, which I think can be a new thing for many West Coast folks.  

2. Network before you get there, and try to meet with a variety of folks whom you might collaborate with, in order to invest successfully. This includes realtors, property managers, contractors, lenders, and of course fellow investors who are local to the area. BP is an outstanding resource, although people we know outside of BP who invested or lived there did help us out as well. Speak with fellow investors, to find out who they would suggest connecting with. 

Also, see if you can time your visit as the same time as the local REI events. The main REI that I know of was not happening the week we went, but hopefully on a future trip we can attend. We did have a chance to hang out with some wonderful local investors we met through BP and are getting to know, and these folks have been incredibly helpful.

3. Look at a variety of neighborhoods. It seems like everyone from Cleveland has their own views on east vs. west side and different suburbs. Still, the best way to approach your visit is get to know different areas that are within your current OR future price point (especially if you were to partner with others in the future). I see some areas mentioned more than others on BP, but worth exploring a wider range of what Cuyahoga County offers, particularly suburbs. 

4. I know everyone has their own view re appreciation vs. cash flow. I thought of Cleveland, at least when I started researching, purely in terms of cash flow. 

After arriving though, I do think there are some areas where you'll also see good (or better) appreciation in the future, in addition to cash flow. Ohio City and Tremont are awesome hip areas, as is much of downtown. This apparently that was not the case 10 or maybe even 5 years ago? It does seem like there are other areas which are transitioning over time too. Where they will end up is something that is inherently uncertain, as with all markets. Yet, I do see potential for growth.

5. Healthcare is massive in Cleveland, relative to the size of Cuyahoga County. We did not realize how much of a footprint it has, until we arrived. Not just Cleveland Clinic either, but also UH, Mercy Health and others that seem to have a strong reputation. I like this, in that it's far easier to move factories away to another state or abroad, compared to huge healthcare facilities with significant research components, and which serve lots of patients, both locally and from farther away.

6. The data in terms of population trends is mixed, which was a concern for me. It seem that this sentiment is shared by many other investors.  

However, the population of educated, somewhat younger folks (i.e. millenials, I am an older millennial myself) is growing solidly (8th highest rate nationally I read). That is positive for wherever these folks settle within Cuyahoga County, and for the local economy and real estate market in general.  

Again, not making a value judgment on folks' education levels or earning potential. We all have different life experiences and opportunities. Still I think we can agree that educated and/or creative people with good paying jobs or who start businesses, is good economically for most places! I did notice several nice areas with a lot of young professionals and families. 

Cleveland is not, from what I saw, Austin or Seattle or Denver as far as population trends. Then again, most markets in this country are not, yet plenty of people are making money coast to coast. Still, I think we are seeing some good things happening in Cleveland. With that said, the population here does on average seem a good deal older than you might find in the Sunbelt or West Coast. Of course, that may present other opportunities, including assisted living? Just a thought. 

7. Something being cheap or having high potential rents relative to price, does NOT make it a good deal. I think a lot of us from the expensive markets see prices in Cleveland and assume these must all be solid values. I was, to a degree, one of those people, prior to my visit. Not the case now. 

I did have at least one person we met, tell us he could not believe what folks from out of state were paying for relative junk. There are plenty of great opportunities, but since when is anything handed to us? Homework is key. 

8. Most areas of both the city and county feel relatively safe. There are definitely pockets that appear like they could be quite rough. Statistics tells us crime and violence is sadly quite high in some of those areas. Investing in such places is risky, in Cleveland or anywhere else. However, I have been to other cities where the "bad" areas were far more dominant, and the overall atmosphere of the city was rather hopeless and tired. Cleveland is not in that category at all. Quite the opposite. 

9. People in Cleveland are friendly and welcoming, both folks in the real estate world, and outside of it. This is not per se a reason to invest somewhere, but I think most of us enjoy being around people we like. Even if you went to Cleveland and did not invest (I plan to in the near future), you'll be glad for the experience.

Hope this helps! 

22Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 192 posts · 346 votes
7y

Spot on @Shiva Bhaskar! I was fortunate to meet Shiva on BP (we are both from LA) and help coordinate our  trip together. I have to say, what made the biggest impression on me was the folks we met there, doing the work on the ground and being creative about their approaches. I'm talking contractors, PMs, turnkey providers, wholesalers, realtors, local investors -- in 5 straight days of back to back meetings there was not one person we didn't enjoy spending time with. My main priority was getting to know people I would like to work with for the long term -- through referrals, due diligence and flying out there I found that and will definitely be investing in Cleveland after this visit. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk, I'm new to RE but make up for it by doing my homework, being open to advice and learning from the right people. Grateful for BP and folks who have been generous with their time and experience!

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    Good write up . I’d second the notion that investors need to actually visit the area and practice due diligence before money is spent  . I live around an hour and a half from Cleveland and go there several times a year for a few museums the zoo and hard rock cafe , other than that i consider Cleveland a giant ghetto with horrible roads ..Seems like west coast investors get all hot and heavy about Cleveland and Detroit which is a mystery to people like me 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 880 votes
    7y

    Nice write up! Sounds like you had a good visit! 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    To add to what @Dennis M. is saying, it's not really well understood in other places that in these mature Rust Belt MSAs dominated by Democratic union machines (and I say this as a registered Democrat), the best action for OOS investors is rarely within the city limits proper, or even in the immediate suburbs. I am a highly specialized local investor and yes, the silver lining of a ghetto is where I look for my properties, but I couldn't in good conscience advise someone working OOS to go into these communities and have at it blind no matter how good the deals look on paper.

    Instead, the kind of safer and newer turnkeys someone at a distance should be looking for are most often well outside the city limits proper in highly-rated school districts or just over the county line.

    Of course, if you feel differently and suspect I might be talking out my butt to save the best deals for myself and my local colleagues, oh PLEASE, by all means, come-one-come-all and invest in my area! Cross my heart and hope to die, you'll fall in love eventually with haggling with investor agents, wholesalers, and hard-core slumlords over your abandoned half-renovated money pits stuffed with your pitilessly-shredded dreams of financial freedom. We're really a fun bunch.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 476 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    To add to what @Dennis M. is saying, it's not really well understood in other places that in these mature Rust Belt MSAs dominated by Democratic union machines (and I say this as a registered Democrat), the best action for OOS investors is rarely within the city limits proper, or even in the immediate suburbs. I am a highly specialized local investor and yes, the silver lining of a ghetto is where I look for my properties, but I couldn't in good conscience advise someone working OOS to go into these communities and have at it blind no matter how good the deals look on paper.

    Instead, the kind of safer and newer turnkeys someone at a distance should be looking for are most often well outside the city limits proper in highly-rated school districts or just over the county line.

    Of course, if you feel differently and suspect I might be talking out my butt to save the best deals for myself and my local colleagues, oh PLEASE, by all means, come-one-come-all and invest in my area! Cross my heart and hope to die, you'll fall in love eventually with haggling with investor agents, wholesalers, and hard-core slumlords over your abandoned half-renovated money pits stuffed with your pitilessly-shredded dreams of financial freedom. We're really a fun bunch.

     Lot of good advice here. I think a lot of people look at what they can afford BUT that is often not a great deal - in fact, is a diasaster. There are some areas in this market with decent or better schools and low crime and a decent tenant base. I plan to focus on that, but many other folks seem to enjoy walking on the wild side. 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Shiva Bhaskar

    When you walk on the wild side, sometimes you wake up next to a shaved orangutan.

  • Investor · Lakewood, OH · Member since 2016 · 158 posts · 49 votes
    7y

    @Shiva Bhaskar Great write up. I feel like you got a good understanding of our city.

    @Jim K. Thats not the worst thing to happen. Shaved orangutan, at least its well groomed?

  • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    I've lived in the greater Cleveland area my entire life and @shiva Bhaskar has a reasonable assessment. However, the areas he references, Tremont and Ohio city have done well, they may be tapped out.

    There are many different unique markets within cuyahoga county and the northeast ohio area. I'm just getting into real estate investing and have been surprised to see some of the out of state investors buying in terrible areas in Cleveland. I guess it depends what you are looking for, but if you are from an area like San Francisco, LA or any larger market, I suspect the Cleveland area may operate differently than you are used to. 

    Cleveland is a great place to live and invest - with caution. There are certain areas which will not appreciate in the near-term, and other areas with low crime and good schools that will still only see minimal appreciation. I would highly recommending visiting and/or partnering with someone local.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mitchell Litam:

    @Shiva Bhaskar Great write up. I feel like you got a good understanding of our city.

    @Jim K. Thats not the worst thing to happen. Shaved orangutan, at least its well groomed?

    Now THAT'S a Cleveland-area investor talking!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 118 posts · 90 votes
    7y

    Hey @Shiva Bhaskar thanks so much for sharing your insights! Myself and a buddy (we're both located in San Francisco) who is originally from Cleveland are also looking to invest in that market. Curious to learn if you're looking for SFR's, Mult family or what "lens" you were looking at this market from? We're focused on MF, would be happy to connect if you're interested!

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 476 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nate Zeigler:

    I've lived in the greater Cleveland area my entire life and @shiva Bhaskar has a reasonable assessment. However, the areas he references, Tremont and Ohio city have done well, they may be tapped out.

    There are many different unique markets within cuyahoga county and the northeast ohio area. I'm just getting into real estate investing and have been surprised to see some of the out of state investors buying in terrible areas in Cleveland. I guess it depends what you are looking for, but if you are from an area like San Francisco, LA or any larger market, I suspect the Cleveland area may operate differently than you are used to. 

    Cleveland is a great place to live and invest - with caution. There are certain areas which will not appreciate in the near-term, and other areas with low crime and good schools that will still only see minimal appreciation. I would highly recommending visiting and/or partnering with someone local.

     I agree re Ohio City and Tremont actually. I think for a lot of out of state investors, cash flow in decent areas is strong, so appreciation is icing on the cake. I plan on partnering with some of the local folks we've gotten to know when the right opportunity presents itself. 

  • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Shiva Bhaskar That's the way to go. I suspect some people see the rental demand in areas on the east side of town like Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights and aren't taking into account the absurdly high property taxes and mediocre (at best) schools in those areas.

    Regardless of the area if you have reasonable cash flow, you should be okay, just as long as you build in some cushion for evictions/maintenance in areas where the quality of tenants may be less desirable. 

    If you ever have questions about a certain part of town and want a local's input, feel free to reach out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Thanks for the write up, @Shiva Bhaskar! I have been lurking the forums for the past few months, learning a significant amount every day. Cleveland is on my list of cheaper/cashflow cities and this insight from a new out-of-towner was helpful.

    cheers

  • Real Estate Broker · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 192 posts · 346 votes
    7y

    Spot on @Shiva Bhaskar! I was fortunate to meet Shiva on BP (we are both from LA) and help coordinate our  trip together. I have to say, what made the biggest impression on me was the folks we met there, doing the work on the ground and being creative about their approaches. I'm talking contractors, PMs, turnkey providers, wholesalers, realtors, local investors -- in 5 straight days of back to back meetings there was not one person we didn't enjoy spending time with. My main priority was getting to know people I would like to work with for the long term -- through referrals, due diligence and flying out there I found that and will definitely be investing in Cleveland after this visit. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk, I'm new to RE but make up for it by doing my homework, being open to advice and learning from the right people. Grateful for BP and folks who have been generous with their time and experience!

  • Rental Property Investor · Brunswick, OH · Member since 2018 · 200 posts · 127 votes
    7y

    @Shiva Bhaskar I'm so happy you made it out to to assess the CLE market in person. I think you're doing it the right way, and that's one more reason you'll probably be successful in the end. From our prior discussions, and the referrals you have given to me personally, I sense that you're finding great people to partner up with. I still can't get over how many Cleveland REI pros I've been introduced to by you and other CA investors! BiggerPockets is one thing we all have in common.

    @Nate Zeigler regarding Tremont and Ohio City, I would not agree that they are tapped out. It's true that it's too late in the game to pick up properties for pennies. That pesky supply and demand thing have had pricing through the roof. But I think that as demand and pricing normalize, there will be plenty of opportunity for continued investment in those areas. The revitalization effort is strong, but from a pure numbers perspective, there are still a LOT of properties still to be turned.

  • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Shiva Bhaskar I am glad you enjoyed your visit in my hometown. Great idea for an out of town investor to come in town and get a feel for the city. I agree when it comes to Cleveland you have to look at appreciation vs cash flow and what areas you are willing to invest. Personally with the help of Amazon opening up around affordable suburbs there might be a rush for people to move closer to there jobs.  Something to think about. Thanks for the review of Cleveland. 

  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Shiva Bhaskar Great advice man...you could basically remove and reference to the word "Cleveland" and apply this universally.

    From my experience, the serious investors in my city all visit multiple times to build a team...very wise indeed.

    If I could add one thing to pay attention to for out-of-state guys, it would be DO NOT SIGN AN EXCLUSIVITY AGREEMENT WITH ANY BROKER.

    Real estate agents are not to be trusted...you'll find a good one through the natural selection process...don't just settle.

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Investor · HI · Member since 2017 · 328 posts · 124 votes
    7y

    I am out of state and invest in Cleveland.  All very good insights for any OOS investor.  I currently own a 17-unit multifamily (that I'm looking to sell) and I'm into two flips in the Shaker Heights area.

  • Real Estate Investor · Middle Island, NY · Member since 2016 · 147 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    Great post, I've been researching Cleveland myself, and am planning a trip out there very soon. I am looking at some of the C+ to B areas, as I understand the difficulties some of the lower asset classes bring for OOS Investors.

    Looking forward to hearing more of how Cleveland works out for you!

  • Real Estate Broker · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    Thanks for the post, @Shiva Bhaskar! This is great insight into a market that, just like you said, is attractive to Californians based on cash flow potential. Curious what opinions @Lesley Ray might have?

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 538 posts · 432 votes
    7y

    From someone that's lived in OH his entire life....we sell high volume turnkey properties in Cincinnati and Dayton areas for a reason.  Cleveland is good, but management is harder to find, POS inspections can be a real PITA, and it's just not considered as "growing and booming" as areas like Cincinnati.

    I also find 99% of the deals presented to me as B class in Cleveland...are C or D class trash.  

    But don't let me dissuade you, we still buy and sell up there all the time!  

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 191 posts · 432 votes
    7y

    @Shiva Bhaskar

    Great point, I always emphasize to investors to fly into any area they are going to invest. You need to look at people you might do business with EYE TO EYE.

    Again it was a pleasure meeting you Shiva on your Cleveland visit. I hope the information I gave you was helpful at our meeting.  I wish you luck in your future investments and I am happy to have you in my network.  Lets keep in touch.

  • Architect · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 89 posts · 41 votes
    7y

    @Eduardo Zepeda thanks for the mention! 

    I'd agree with most of what has been said. Cleveland can be great for investing but it is very street by street. Doing due diligence here is key.

    Shiva's analysis is spot on. Cleveland is not traditionally known for appreciation but has many long-term, blue collar renters. This means cash-flow and long-term tenants are much more feasible. As Shiva mentioned it is also home to many world-class hospitals and universities. While many of the higher-up employees at these facilities likely won't be renters (doctors, nurses, professors), having these facilities means many associated jobs (janitors and sim.) which are more likely to be renters.

  • Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2018 · 63 posts · 45 votes
    7y

    Great post @Shiva Bhaskar! I really want to emphasize your fist point: VISIT! It is quite mind boggling to me that folks would be willing to invest so much in a market and product that they have never seen. We've been helping OOS investors pick up rentals here in Cleveland for some time now, and have had a number of clients invest without visiting. Now, I'm proud to say that we operate from a high moral/ethical standard and are very transparent about what these investors are getting. BUT there are obviously a lot of turnkey providers or individuals who might be less than trustworthy.

    COME, VISIT, SEE, INTERVIEW. Make sure you're working with reputable folks and buying what you think you're buying.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 732 votes
    7y

    @Shiva Bhaskar , great post. I think some great tips for anyone looking at investing in an out of state market. 

    I've done some research on Cleveland, it does seem to be the one that comes up the most these days for cashflow. I have heard there is a lot going on in the downtown area, but looks like downtown itself is pretty expensive , pricey new builds etc . There has been a big increase in young professional millennials moving into downtown. 

    Some articles on this 

    https://tech.co/startup-millennials-cleveland-tech...

    https://www.clevelandfoundation.org/news_items/mil...

    Seems like their could be an opportunity of investing in the areas closeby that might cheaper. I know in L.A as Downtown L.A revitalized the areas surrounding started to get a lot more popular as many people wanted to live near all the cool bars , restaurants ,events etc happening in the area. Now areas there used to be sketchy and dangerous growing up are considered so hip and cool and have high prices. Echo Park, Koreatown, Highland Park are some examples. 

    Is there a particular neighborhood you are looking to focus in on Cleveland?

    Best of luck

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 732 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Im all for flying out n doing ones due diligence.  Morris investors would have saved a ton of money doing so.

    But now is where the touchy feely stuff goes out the window.

    Lets say every trip out equals one years cash flow..........The question one needs to ask is how much cash flow you willing to spend on non-appreciating property in the heartland?

    Investors dont buy midwest for appreciation.

    If someone is just going to buy 1 small property out of state that just cashflows $100 month , maybe. I imagine OP is looking at buying  more than one property though.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.