Kansas City neighborhood recommendations

Most Popular Reply

Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y

@Ann Nguyen I recommend the suburban areas outside the 435 loop. We focus on Independence, Raytown, South Kansas City and Grandview. These areas consist of mainly B and C class neighborhoods. If you want to be in a B class neighborhood, look at those with prices of $100K to $120K and rents of $1000 to $1100. I like the South Kansas City area a lot with the new Cerner headquarters there. Feel free to reach out if you'd like some help or insight.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Financial Advisor · Issaquah, WA · Member since 2017 · 241 posts · 141 votes
    5y

    Suggest starting here:  https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

    Best to chat with some agents and get a feel from them as well, and same goes for PMs.

  • Drew MacPro Member
    Kansas City, MO · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Ann, I agree with Pete's post. The first city on there is Parkville which is hard to make a bad investment in. However, what is not on that map is Leavenworth, KS which is just outside of the KC Metro area. A mentor of mine and myself have been doing well in this area renting out to military families. They are typically officers so they take great care of your property as well as most of the time rent is paid in the stipend from the base itself- which means no late payments. Parkville and Leavenworth are by far the best areas to invest in the KC Metro area in my opinion. If you would ever want to talk about the individual pockets in both of those locations you can feel free to reach out to me. 

  • Title Representative · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 66 votes
    5y

    I've been looking in Leavenworth for a while. From what I'm seeing it's not an appreciation market, and the type of tenant may vary on a street by street basis. And you need to know the tenants you're shopping for. There are 2 large prisons in the area (federal pen and state pen) and a college and a hospital and a military base, which means there are plenty of steady jobs, but if you're expecting one of those workers for a tenant and you pick a street that prisoners' family members live on, you're likely in for some disappointment.

    I'm shopping C and D class right now, bit I still don't see it as an appreciation market. 

    While the market is low on inventory, there are several turn-key properties for sale in Leavenworth, but I'm hesitant to pursue any of those because they're mostly priced right for owner-occupied, ROI is tight, and I feel the market is currently kind of at a peak, and it will be hard to recover from a high purchase price in a non-appreciating market.

    There are also quite a few historic homes here, but the renovations and maintenance are out of my financial range.

    Hope this helps. It sure helps me to have to write it all out clearly.

    (don't be afraid to upvote on posts!)

  • Santa Cruz, CA - California · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    Thanks to all who have responded.  This community is wonderful and so generous with their knowledge.

  • Real Estate Investor · Raymore, MO · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Ann Nguyen

    Hi Ann, i am a local investor here In the Kansas City Market. I rehab and buy and hold. I find deals every month as I have a marketing team who finds my deals. I’d be happy to help and give some outlook on the current market. As some mentioned, the inventory is very low but there are still deals out there. Feel free to reach out.

    Javen

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Ann Nguyen I recommend the suburban areas outside the 435 loop. We focus on Independence, Raytown, South Kansas City and Grandview. These areas consist of mainly B and C class neighborhoods. If you want to be in a B class neighborhood, look at those with prices of $100K to $120K and rents of $1000 to $1100. I like the South Kansas City area a lot with the new Cerner headquarters there. Feel free to reach out if you'd like some help or insight.

  • Investor · San Mateo, CA · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Drew Mac. 

    I would like to get more idea on those two areas. Would you like to connect with me for this? Thanks

  • Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Javen Harris Hi, Javen! A little late to this post and just starting out in REI, but would be great to connect and pick your brain, if possible. Looking to learn from the experts in the KC area!

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2019 · 130 posts · 118 votes
    5y

    Hi @Ann Nguyen,

    I currently live and invest in the KC metro.  I think it really depends on your goals for your investment property.

    I like that you're targeting B-class because you'll have a great tenant base to choose from and benefit from appreciation.  It will cost you a bit more - most B-class neighborhoods in the metro now start at $200K.

    Happy to share my thoughts on areas/neighborhoods you're evaluating in more detail.

  • Atchison, KS · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    @Drew Mac

    Newbie here from rural Atchison County, KS. I’m very interested in learning about the various pockets to invest in rental housing in Leavenworth. Open to investing in rentals with positive cash flow, including rehab & rent. Are there many opportunities in those pockets of which you mentioned? Or perhaps in close proximity to those pockets? I suppose I should check out Zillow for listings or talk to a local realtor? As I said, just starting out, and also interested in old farmhouses for rehab/rentals/AirBnB. As you can imagine, those rural properties with acreage get snapped up like hot cakes nowadays. Keeping my powder dry. LOL. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.