Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mark S.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Kentucky
Votes |
American Homeowner Preservation (AHP) Fund

Mark S.
Pro Member
  • Kentucky
Posted

I stumbled across the American Homeowner Preservation (AHP) Fund ad on a podcast.  Upon going to their website and researching further, it appears it's a hedge fund that buys discounted mortgages and supposedly tries to let homeowner's stay in their homes (and obviously make a profit) in doing so.  This is now open to non-accredited investors (as well as accredited) for as little as $100.  They keep any profits above 12% and it appears they charge about a 2% fee plus a couple other nonsense items (based on my very brief skimming through some info).  Anyone familiar with AHP?  Thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Here is a link to AHP's Motion for Temporary Restraining Order v. Land Home Financial Services seeking an "order enjoining Land Home from continuing as 'servicer' of loans held by AHP Entities, or previously held by AHP Entities but subsequently transferred pursuant to abused and now-revoked powers of attorney." The Motion states that "Land Home has participated in the improper conveyance of the AHP Entities' assets to Land Home affiliates, converted assets belonging to the AHP Entities, and neglected loans resulting in diminution of value, lost proceeds, and adverse judgments. Land Home took such actions or inactions while feigning to fulfill its duties and obligations as 'loan servicer' for various mortgage loans located throughout the United States." 
https://ahpservicing.com/AHP_Motion_for_TRO_v._Land_Home.pdf

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied
Quote from @Jorge Newbery:

Here is a link to AHP's Motion for Temporary Restraining Order v. Land Home Financial Services seeking an "order enjoining Land Home from continuing as 'servicer' of loans held by AHP Entities, or previously held by AHP Entities but subsequently transferred pursuant to abused and now-revoked powers of attorney." The Motion states that "Land Home has participated in the improper conveyance of the AHP Entities' assets to Land Home affiliates, converted assets belonging to the AHP Entities, and neglected loans resulting in diminution of value, lost proceeds, and adverse judgments. Land Home took such actions or inactions while feigning to fulfill its duties and obligations as 'loan servicer' for various mortgage loans located throughout the United States." 
https://ahpservicing.com/AHP_Motion_for_TRO_v._Land_Home.pdf

I hope you prevail in this motion.. Best of luck with it.. Although sounds like some major damage has already been done.. having been in the note business ( private notes) I would personally never hire a servicer we handle all our own collections and servicing.. I know or I think I know with your kind of loans your forced to go to licensed 3rd party servicers.. Keep in mind I am servicing my own HML s

PS Its great you come on here and communicate so the rumor mill does not go wild.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Here is a link to AHP's Motion for Temporary Restraining Order v. Oak Harbor Capital LLC, Atlantica, LLC and Cymbidium Restoration Trust seeking an order that:

"1. Cymbidium is ordered to provide an accounting of the Trust Assets transferred, serviced, and monies collected by Cymbidium, and its affiliates to determine whether or to what extent Cymbidium and its affiliates Oak Harbor and Atlantica are still owed money under the MLSA and First Amendment.

2. Oak Harbor and Atlantica are hereby enjoined from transferring Trust Assets out of the Trusts and to their affiliates."

The Motion further states that "Since the limitations of the powers of attorney did not prevent abuse and the revocation of the LPOAs failed to cease transfers, AHP Entities know of no other means to stop the unlawful transfer of assets short of a court order."

https://ahpservicing.com/AHP_Motion_for_TRO_v._Oak_Harbor_Capital.pdf (the document is 1,306 pages because it includes copies of many of the assignments executed with abused and/or revoked LPOAs)

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Frishman
  • Ridgefield, CT
Votes |
  • Ridgefield, CT
Replied

Is there any chance we get any equity back on our investment.??

User Stats

Votes
James Mc Ree
  • Malvern, PA
Votes |
  • Malvern, PA
Replied

@Andrew Frishman It will all hinge on the outcome of the lawsuits or settlements. I would be shocked if there was 0% return of equity and very pleasantly surprised if it was 100% consider the legal costs to be incurred. I am just speculating.

The information above regarding the filings is the only real information available right now. We just have to follow along.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Frishman
  • Ridgefield, CT
Votes |
  • Ridgefield, CT
Replied

Anyone get any updates information regarding  AHP lawsuits??

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

@Andrew Frishman

For the case in washington the last docket report in pacer noted below

Note this is only case in washington state not the case in Illinois which has an extension for joint party report.

ORDER SETTING TRIAL DATE AND RELATED DATES by Judge Jamal N Whitehead. Length of Trial: 5 days. Bench Trial is set for 6/9/2025 at 09:00 AM in Courtroom 16106 before Judge Jamal N Whitehead. Joinder of Parties due by 5/10/2024, Amended Pleadings due by 11/12/2024, Expert Witness Disclosure/Reports under FRCP 26(a)(2) due by 11/12/2024, Discovery Motions due by 12/11/2024, Discovery completed by 1/10/2025, Dispositive motions due by 2/10/2025, Attorney settlement conference to be held by 4/10/2025, Motions in Limine due by 4/30/2025, Deposition Designations due by 5/19/2025, Pretrial Order due by 5/19/2025, Trial briefs to be submitted by 5/27/2025, Pretrial Conference set for 6/2/2025 at 01:30 PM in Courtroom 16106 before Judge Jamal N Whitehead. (GC) (Entered: 03/11/2024)

User Stats

Votes
Akash Gaur
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied

@Jorge Newbery

Back to the immediate fire drill - any possibility of getting 2023 K1s for ahp2015+ and ahp servicing in the next few days?

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Guys I don't think were ever getting a dime back. I think this whole lawsuit thing is a distraction to cover up what's really going on.. If I owed 60 million to investors I would be out front causing a distraction as well. I just hope for this ride to be over and hopefully try to recoup some of our money through the tax code. I've done research and know some people in the same industry as Jorge and here's what I've found and/or been told by reliable sources.

1. AHP Servicing never filed their 2022 Audit.

2. AHP Servicing closed their servicing arm and never provided an update in a SEC filing.

3. AHP servicing assets (investor money) was allegedly used as collateral for other affiliated entities controlled by the sponsor which are now tied up in litigation. (If this is the case, that is really really really bad).   

4. In reading the files in the case, there appears to be a dispute between Oak Harbor and AHP where AHP was to buy back loans and never did. What is transpiring now is clearly disputed on who has rights to what assets.

5. if you read everything in the SEC and their 1-SA and financials, if you see how much they paid in salaries/bonuses you would vomit. I invested in another servicing company and the payroll for the company that was smaller but not drastically as AHP was around $800k, I believe AHP was $6M... That's a lot of salary and bonuses....

My questions are....?

- For the loans sold to Oak Harbor, which entities were those loans from?

- Were AHP Servicing and its investors funds/assets used as collateral for loans from affiliated entities?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied
Quote from @Jason Monaco:

Guys I don't think were ever getting a dime back. I think this whole lawsuit thing is a distraction to cover up what's really going on.. If I owed 60 million to investors I would be out front causing a distraction as well. I just hope for this ride to be over and hopefully try to recoup some of our money through the tax code. I've done research and know some people in the same industry as Jorge and here's what I've found and/or been told by reliable sources.

1. AHP Servicing never filed their 2022 Audit.

2. AHP Servicing closed their servicing arm and never provided an update in a SEC filing.

3. AHP servicing assets (investor money) was allegedly used as collateral for other affiliated entities controlled by the sponsor which are now tied up in litigation. (If this is the case, that is really really really bad).   

4. In reading the files in the case, there appears to be a dispute between Oak Harbor and AHP where AHP was to buy back loans and never did. What is transpiring now is clearly disputed on who has rights to what assets.

5. if you read everything in the SEC and their 1-SA and financials, if you see how much they paid in salaries/bonuses you would vomit. I invested in another servicing company and the payroll for the company that was smaller but not drastically as AHP was around $800k, I believe AHP was $6M... That's a lot of salary and bonuses....

My questions are....?

- For the loans sold to Oak Harbor, which entities were those loans from?

- Were AHP Servicing and its investors funds/assets used as collateral for loans from affiliated entities?

Jason

For those who are investors and wish to follow the case, you can go to PACER and sign up for a free account. Both the illinois case filed by AHP and Washington case filed by Oak Harbor are on the website. This is a great source for information on the status of the cases. 

PACER – Case Search Only | PACER: Federal Court Records (uscourts.gov)

User Stats

Votes
Dani Sung
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied

cymbidium-restoration-tr-v-AHP

Case text above.

https://dfpi.ca.gov/enf-a/ahp-servicing-llc/

Indicated all AHP Servicing licenses has been revoked, this is issued by federal government. This was NEVER disclosed to investors!

Also, AHP claims they have no $, so they are unable to pay their vendors, including their CPA. So unlikely to even get a K1 form this year since no one will work with them when they can't pay their bills. 

https://www.law360.com/cases/6598a12377be790224df4fbf/articl...

apparently, there's more to the story then what AHP claims...

1. January 16, 2024

Mortgage Co. Chief Seeks Toss Of Nonperforming Loan Suit

The CEO and manager of multiple mortgage loan servicing companies urged a Washington federal court to throw out a lawsuit accusing the companies of selling a portfolio of loans that weren't outstanding, arguing that the presiding court lacks personal jurisdiction, in part because he's an Illinois resident.

1. January 08, 2024

Mortgage Servicer Sold Off Paid-Up Loans, Trust Claims

An affiliate of Seattle investment firm Oak Harbor Capital claims in a suit removed to Washington federal court that it is owed at least $2 million after a Chicago loan servicer sold it a group of 200 mostly nonperforming loans that it had already cashed out, among other breaches of a mortgage sale agreement between the parties.

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Lender
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied

There are many investors that look at promises ROI or interest rate and nothing more. About 15years ago I got a call from an investor in one of my funds that told me he from now on was going to put his money into a new fund he found paying 44% interest while my fund paid 13.5%. When I checked it out the fund he spoke of was making unsecured working capital loans to businesses with no credit. Unsurprisingly a year later he had lost 60% of his investment. "Blinded by the light…"

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied
Quote from @Don Konipol:

There are many investors that look at promises ROI or interest rate and nothing more. About 15years ago I got a call from an investor in one of my funds that told me he from now on was going to put his money into a new fund he found paying 44% interest while my fund paid 13.5%. When I checked it out the fund he spoke of was making unsecured working capital loans to businesses with no credit. Unsurprisingly a year later he had lost 60% of his investment. "Blinded by the light…"

also reminds me of an Australian investor who had come to see one of my clients turn keys in Birmingham that paid a respectable 9 or 10% COC etc.. And the investor said Why would i do that I can get 20 or 30% in Detroit with no clue as to risk.  I have fund many deals over the years were the sellers were Aussie or their superannation funds ( Aussie retirement funds) and props were being sold for 10 to 20 cents on the dollar to my clients.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

@Don Konipol

Reminds me of an investor who came to us and was like “you give 10% per year with your fund, I can invest with a company called drive planning and they pay 10% per quarter which is 40% annual, why should we invest with you”

Yep too good to be true it probably is….

User Stats

Votes
Amanda K.
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

This doesn't look good. Any idea what us investors can do in the meantime?

User Stats

Votes
Dani Sung
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied
Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
Quote from @Don Konipol:

also reminds me of an Australian investor who had come to see one of my clients turn keys in Birmingham that paid a respectable 9 or 10% COC etc.. And the investor said Why would i do that I can get 20 or 30% in Detroit with no clue as to risk.  I have fund many deals over the years were the sellers were Aussie or their superannation funds ( Aussie retirement funds) and props were being sold for 10 to 20 cents on the dollar to my clients.
The sad part is AHP was only paying 9-10%. And they took non-accredited investors who invested large part of their net worth and was never informed of the risky business decision made by the operator! 

User Stats

Votes
Paul B.
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied

On the last webinar, we heard about a fund for legal fees, which would be starting up in a couple weeks (March 20). It was supposed to offer something like a 15% return, but obviously would pay nothing if no money was recovered.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied
Quote from @Paul B.:

On the last webinar, we heard about a fund for legal fees, which would be starting up in a couple weeks (March 20). It was supposed to offer something like a 15% return, but obviously would pay nothing if no money was recovered.

that seems like high risk to me.  or throwing good money after bad..  Of course i have no clue as to what has really happened but it sounds like a massive mess and those usually do not end well for limited partners who have no control.. And as usual lawyers make out very well. Not their fault of course its the bizz they are in everyone has to get paid for their time.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Anyone know anything about K1s for AHP?  I'm guessing at this point we shouldn't expect them anytime soon.

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Eddie King:

Anyone know anything about K1s for AHP?  I'm guessing at this point we shouldn't expect them anytime soon.

I talked to Sean at AHP. he said Jorge was uploading them last Friday, then it was Monday, then it was Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, etc. He'll tell you anything you want to hear just to kick the can down the road. I have no idea what to expect at this point.

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Eddie King:

I talked to Sean at AHP. he said Jorge was uploading them last Friday, then it was Monday, then it was Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, etc. He'll tell you anything you want to hear just to kick the can down the road. I have no idea what to expect at this point.

Jason - basically the same story to me...

User Stats

Votes
Paul B.
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied
Quote from @Eddie King:

Last year (before sh*t really hit the fan), there were monthly webinars. I swear there were at least two webinars (a month apart) where K-1s were coming "next week." We did eventually get them, but again, things were still looking okay last year. 

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Just saw a few mins ago K1 was uploaded to online portal! 

User Stats

Votes
Mark F.
  • Bergen County, NJ
Votes |
  • Bergen County, NJ
Replied
Quote from @Eddie King:

Just saw a few mins ago K1 was uploaded to online portal! 

Yup confirmed. K1 in online portal.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

and we get one more year before we talk about AHP K1 again.