• Homeowner
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Cat pee in concrete

Marc Cleverley
  • Homeowner
  • Houston, TX
Posted Jun 8 2012, 20:30

Didnt see a previous BP topic on cat piss for concrete. We fell into this property for a great price, but the house reeks now. We are worried about the walls and the concrete since it is porous. Any ideas on how to remove the smell. We plan on using killz on the wall, but I want to make sure the smell doesn't come back 3 months from now also.

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Replied Jun 8 2012, 20:39

straight on the cement? Muriatic acid wont help?

User Stats

Votes
Jason Grote
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 8 2012, 20:43

Marc Cleverley
We once acquired the stinkiest house ever and used 50% bleach solution and sprayed everything liberally that was affected. It worked very well. Just spray and leave it for a day with the windows open.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Marc Cleverley
  • Homeowner
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Homeowner
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jun 8 2012, 20:59

It wasn't straight on the carpet, but through the carpet and pad. Will try the bleach and acid solutions. Still have tack strips in house so that might be making it house. Previous owner used to travel and had hired a cleaning lady to fix the litter box and clean the house. Turns out the lady was allergic to cats so she never touched the litter box and did the minimum around the house so she wasn't with the cats. Long story short house stinks terribly, but the stench dissipates if we leave he windows open. Being in Houston though the humidity can just make it worse and worse.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Grote
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 8 2012, 21:21

Pee on tack strip, carpet, or pad... they have all got to go!

User Stats

Votes
Dave M.
  • Residential Landlord
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Residential Landlord
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jun 8 2012, 21:30

Doesn't a concrete sealer both seal anything from the top down as well as the bottom up?

How about just applying a liberal coat and re-carpeting?

Account Closed
  • SFR Investor
Votes |
  • SFR Investor
Replied Jun 8 2012, 21:32

I have had two dog pee houses, I take 5 gallons of bleach and mix it with 5 gallons of water and flood the floors. If they are wood floors it gets vacuumed up in 30 minutes and aired out two days. We then seal the floors with two coats of OIL based sealer like Kills original.

In each case the smell is gone, I now look for stinky pee houses because they are cheap.

User Stats

Votes
Jodi Barraclough
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Humble, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Humble, TX
Replied Jun 8 2012, 21:38

@Marc Cleverley

We too purchased a home where the carpet, padding, base boards and even concrete smelled of cat urine. We ripped it all out including base boards and tab boards, washed the foundation with a diluted bleach and this remedied the problem beautifully :-) I'm glad you sorted it out!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan M.
  • West, MI
Votes |
  • West, MI
Replied Jun 9 2012, 09:41

Oil based Killz all concrete and forget about it.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Bill Gulley#3 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Jun 9 2012, 12:48

Bleach, bleach and bleach! After the smell is gone and the place smells like a laundramat paint it with Kilz or better yet an epoxy concrete paint, want to improve it, install tile....

Seems cat and dog odors are absorbed in all kinds of fabrics, get rid of it. Paint trim, you might need to paint the walls a ceilings too.

At lest it's not as bad as meth! Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Dan V.
  • Contractor
  • Illinois
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Illinois
Replied Jun 9 2012, 16:04

Ditto to oil based Killz.
I've also used products to kill organic odors such as Chlorine Dioxide(CLO2). A couple of brands are OdorXit and NosGuard(no association to either).

I've used an ozone generator before but only because I've been told that it helps and I had one available to me; I wouldn't purchase one though.

User Stats

Votes
Karen Margrave
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
Votes |
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
ModeratorReplied Jun 9 2012, 17:02

Go to someplace like Petco and ask. You just need to find something that neutralizes the amonia probably. Bleach might work, or something with baking soda. Or google it!

User Stats

Votes
Lee G.
  • Developer
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Boise, ID
Replied Jun 10 2012, 10:04

Odor Xit is awesome... A couple bombs, a couple hours and no more smell (www.odorxit.com)

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Cheryl C.
  • Investor
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Reston, VA
Replied Jun 10 2012, 10:14

Definitely pull all the tack strips. Also clean the floor ducts (I sprayed the heck out of them) and replace the registers and any filters. I agree with the others on the bleach and floor sealant. Good luck. You should be fine.

User Stats

Votes
Ann Bellamy
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Replied Jun 10 2012, 12:19

If you haven't already tried bleach, try SCOE 10x (google it) You can't use bleach first, so if you haven't, try the SCOE 10X first, follow the instructions carefully.

I had a tenant who let the rabbit pee on the carpet, which is almost worse than cat pee. This stuff did the trick.

My car vents get a nasty sour smell that SCOE 10X solves also.

User Stats

Votes
J Salter
  • Multi-family Investor
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Multi-family Investor
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 10 2012, 17:48

Nice Jeffery, the "stinky-pee house" strategy - I like it!!

That's the value, you have to find products that no one want's to touch and turn them into gems!

User Stats

Votes
J Salter
  • Multi-family Investor
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Multi-family Investor
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 10 2012, 17:50

Curious guys, is hardwood flooring recoverable if cat-pee is left on it over night or should the wood be resist for a while?

User Stats

Votes
Marc Cleverley
  • Homeowner
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Homeowner
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jun 10 2012, 18:16

We ended up hitting the baseboard and bottom foot of the wall with a water/vinegar mixture. Then the 50/50 bleach mix on the concrete and the place smells ten times better. We're still doing killz on the walls, not sure about the oil based on the floor. Thanks for the tips, really made a difference. Cool part was the bleach on the tack strips starting bubbling when the pee soaked part got hit.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Mazzrillo
  • Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Replied Jun 11 2012, 00:07
Originally posted by Lee G.:
Odor Xit is awesome... A couple bombs, a couple hours and no more smell (www.odorxit.com)

I'm with Lee. Odor Xit is the best. Every landlord / house flipper should have some on hand.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Mazzrillo
  • Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Replied Jun 11 2012, 00:08

If it is a rental, you could also advertise it as "Cat Lovers Paradise!" hahaha

Account Closed
  • Palm Coast, FL
Votes |
  • Palm Coast, FL
Replied Jun 15 2012, 08:14

Cat urine consists of mainly three chemical parts. The one creates the odor is, Uric acid which consists of salts and crystals that give off the extremely pungent odor. These odors attach to minute solids floating in the air, most are invisible, and each particle has a positive electrical charge because it is missing an electron. This enables it to drift as it is drawn in one direction and then another by electrical charges imbedding in carpets, drapes and walls creating phantom odors. Carpet and furniture are reservoirs for pet allergens, and the allergens can remain in them for four to six weeks.,aerosol sprays and candles only replace the odor with a more pleasant odor, they do not remove the odor only masks it.

User Stats

Votes
Jim Hiler
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Delray Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Delray Beach, FL
Replied Oct 27 2018, 05:17
@Account Closed
Hiler Group LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jim Hiler
Pro Member
  • Delray Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Delray Beach, FL
Replied Oct 27 2018, 05:22
Im in contract to buy a cat infested condo. In my reno costs assumed doing similar remedies as to what all are describing above however now the HOA HOA president is trying to make me gut the place down to the shell and start over. She wants air reports from a certified mold company that all the mold and toxic by products of cat pee are removed.My plan would be to remove all flooring, baseboards, etc and remove 24" of drywall on walls, treat the slab and bottom of studs and put it all back together. Then kilz all remaining drywall. If I can't convince her of this approach I may not be making much if any money on this flip.
Hiler Group LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Sam Shueh
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Replied Oct 27 2018, 07:31

Lemon flavor detergent scrub.  Then spray baking soda powder.