Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Angie's List: Have You Used it to find a Contractor? Thoughts?

Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Posted

I'm having a horribly difficult time finding contractors for a large project I need completed at my home. One of three red flags appear when I contact one:

a) They come and never follow up with an actual bid - over 50% of the contractors who have come to see the full task.
b) Their bids take much longer to return then promised. If you can't return a bid on time, how are you going to be able to complete a large project in any kind of reasonable amount of time?
c) Their bids are incomplete or include several areas where markups are excessive (eg. bid came in that included gutter work that was 2x the bid of all other bids on that part of the job).

So - I'm running out of patience - fast - and need to get this job done in the next 2 months.

Which leads me to Angie's List. Have any of you used this site to screen contractors (looking for a GC)? What are your thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Jason S.
  • Investor
  • Diamond Bar, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Diamond Bar, CA
Replied

I think I will start a second company, charge much more per job, get listed on Angie's List and then rake in the dough from customer's willing to pay extra. It's easy to satisfy when you are being paid much more for the job than you would have originally charged. Anything the customer wants that's a little extra - just do it.

Apparently Angie's list is like the BBB, giving false security to the Buyer and undeserved credibility to the Business.

And yes, it is easy to game Angie's List, even with their checks and balances.

With that said I am certain that there are many reputable businesses listed.

1. Reviews are unpaid.
2. Reviews at the top are from paid member's.
3. Contractors at the top of the list can buy their way to the top, though they cannot buy their rating unless they game #1 or #2 above.

User Stats

Votes
Julie Grupke
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Canton, MI
Votes |
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Canton, MI
Replied

I know this post is old but I just signed up for AL then came to BP to search your guys' opinions on it.

Few things I noticed - the letter ratings don't tell you anything nor do the result rankings, but the comments sure do - especially when I found several raving & borderline threatening contractor responses to negative reviews!

I couldn't believe some of the things written - from "You gave me an F for not returning your phone calls??" to personally insulting the reviewers to saying reviewers were taking food off their kids' table.

AL totally dropped the ball on site moderation, something you BP moderators excel at. Makes BP more professional and useful for all - AL's lack of it did the opposite for me. I can read ranting insults on Facebook for free, if that's my mood. :) I wish Amazon had contractor reviews!

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
John Moore
  • House Flipper
  • East Stroudsburg, PA
Votes |
  • House Flipper
  • East Stroudsburg, PA
Replied

Go to your local large lumber yard or large supplier and ask the service manager to make recommendations for the type of contractor you need. They are aware of most contractors reputation and how they conduct their business (volume, time in trade and if they have good credit) I have found them to be a very reliable source.

User Stats

Votes
John Moore
  • House Flipper
  • East Stroudsburg, PA
Votes |
  • House Flipper
  • East Stroudsburg, PA
Replied

Approach the local lumber yard or large construction supplier and ask them for referrals. They know their reputation is on the line and will recommend professional types with equally good professional reputations and who have good credit standing with the supplier.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Replied

Best way to find a good contract is through professional organizations initially and by word of mouth. Building regs is a good source after you get the into general conversations and ask to see permits and inspections with completion dates for a final inspection.

I don't trust any site like AL as anyone can join, make statements as to how great someone is, so that may boil down to how many friends a contractor may have and how big his/her extended family might be. :)