Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Herm M.
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • NorCal, CA
Votes |
How To Get A Discount At Home Depot Or Lowes...?

Herm M.
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • NorCal, CA
Posted Dec 17 2010, 08:24

A while back, I read that you can get a 15% or so discount at Lowe's if you go talk to someone at a particular desk at the store.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

User Stats

Votes
James Vermillion
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
  • Lexington, KY
Replied Dec 27 2010, 06:31

Using the market always works especially with Lowes and Home Depot....they hate losing customers to each other. So if you are not getting the discount you think you should (within reason of course), let them know about it. Also, developing relationships is important (as always) and can lead to better prices.

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied Dec 27 2010, 10:05
If they're not offering you more than 10% at the bid desk, just tell them that you're going to Lowes where you have a 10% coupon and where they have better selection. They'll increase the discount if you do that, and you can also ask for free shipping as well.

My guy at the bid desk knows not to even bother coming back at less than 12% discount...as he knows I can get 10% off without his help...and we average about 14%...

Also helps that he knows I'll escalate to my wife if we're not getting enough of a discount... :)

Spot on!

As with many other aspects of RE investing, "building relationships" is key in this context as well. I haqve made purchases for as little as $100 and without a coupon, have gotten 10% off simply because the manager at the bid desk wants ALL my business and does anything she can for me.

Relastionships, Relationships, Relationships.

Topic locked
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mike G.
  • Rehabber / Flipper
  • Simi Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Rehabber / Flipper
  • Simi Valley, CA
Replied Dec 27 2010, 10:30

Yep, for my last flip, the Home Depot bid room came in under 10% off for the whole order. I said I should go to Lowe's to get the discount, and they (Home Depot) ended up giving me an additional 15% off the whole order. I've also had 10% discounts applied on "small" purchases, too, because they know me.

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Danny Day
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jan 3 2011, 15:57

Yes

You need to speak with someone at the Pro Desk (at Lowes) or the Bid Desk (at Home Depot).

Before you go and speak with them, have a good idea of what you'll need (item numbers and quantities) and they will draw a bid for you.

We were buying toilets at one time for $17 per toilet....

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Jim S
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Virginia, DC &, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Virginia, DC &, MD
Replied Jan 3 2011, 22:11

I seem to average around 14% discount at Lowes. I usually do not buy any drywall or lumber as I leave that up to the contractor. If I need more supplies for the job a few days later I just show them the bid and they honor the bottom line discount on any extra supplies.

As a side note, I have been having issues with receiving items that were previously returned by someone else. Sometimes with duct tape all over the box. Last time it was wood flooring boxes dropped off at a jobsite that were filled with missed cuts and ugly wood. 4 out of 15 boxes. You would think the guys at the return desk would catch this stuff let alone they not pull and deliver it to me.

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Paul B.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Alpharetta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Alpharetta, GA
Replied Jan 3 2011, 22:24
Originally posted by J Scott:
Also helps that he knows I'll escalate to my wife if we're not getting enough of a discount... :)

I am SO stealing this.

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Mark H.
  • SFR Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • SFR Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Nov 27 2011, 06:31

Just wanted to thank the poster who mentioned buying gift cards under face value.

I put an ad up on Craigslist offering to buy cards at 75% of face value and scored around $1500 (retail) in cards in just a couple of days...

Then I had a "big fish" call who had $3k in cards @ 80% of face value.

I combined those deals with the 10% lowe's coupons, or sale prices (currently 20% off cabinets)... (i wasn't able to "stack" discounts though...)

Looks like I ended up with most everything for a "gut-style" rehab for around $4k out-of pocket. Best of all, I've now got phone numbers for several people who get these cards frequently.

The thing to watch for with these is that there is a difference between "store credit" and a "gift card" - you can combine multiple gift cards, swap them out for new ones right in front of the seller, etc. Store credits should really be spent ASAP.

If the seller has the "pin" and the card number, they can empty the card anytime by ordering stuff online. If you buy gift cards and swap them, the seller doesn't have the card # or the pin. But store credits can't be used for gift cards...

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Mazzrillo
  • Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Replied Nov 27 2011, 12:40

I always go to the Post Office and get a handful of change of address cards. I didn't know about the 10% military discount Thanks Luis A. That will save me a trip to the post office... Unless I can use the coupon and the military discount together....

Topic locked
Account Closed
  • SFR Investor
Votes |
  • SFR Investor
Replied Nov 27 2011, 18:56

I have a "Pro Rewards" account at HD and get 4% off of anything then pay for it with the HD Visa card and get 5% more off, we pay the card back down to 20 dollars when the bill is due. If I'm buying paint I go to the contractors desk and ask for my "Pro Paint" discount that can be anywhere from 10 to 20% off depending on how much I buy.

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Perich
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Granite City, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Granite City, IL
Replied Jul 6 2014, 07:45

@Ryan B. I used a service to "trade" my gift cards, for which this service was paid a modest fee.

I had about $400 in Best Buy gift cards and traded them for about 92 cents on the dollar in Amazon electronic cards. If I wanted other cards, the rate was about 88 cents on the dollar.

If I go to these sites to buy cards, you're usually at a 5% discount or so. Their spread is where they make their money.

I have another suggestion for investors who also want to help out in their local communities. You won't make money on this deal, but it does help out a local charity. There are a lot of small private schools and organizations that sell "scrip". These organizations buy at a discount (5-15% usually) and sell at face value. It can really help them with their mission, gets you the same product, and provides you with yet another form of marketing. If you are a big buyer of scrip, your name will get out there.

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Martel
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jul 6 2014, 08:01

I personally have not done this, but I have a buddy of mine who put laminate floors down on the cheap by pulling this doosey.

He went to lowes, and managed to talk them down on the cost of flooring and installation.  Took that offer and went to the Depot and and they gave him similar flooring for 10% less than the lowes folks. I personally haven't tried this, but they do beat their competitors pricing by 10%...

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
John Weidner
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Mar 30 2016, 11:38

Whats the latest on the pro desk discount at Home Depot -  on my latest project I have my GC buying a majority of the material as I don't have time to run around and source it but I still have to buy exterior doors, toilets, tub, faucets, lighting.   Is the threshold for the discount at th pro desk still $2500?  

Topic locked
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Replied Mar 30 2016, 11:45

you should have started a new thread since the info in this one is super obsolete.

last i know, they do not give the 5% discount and they dont accept lowes coupons. so now i just pay retail at HD, where i shop exclusively. 

i think they still have the bid room, but i never used it since the few times i tried to use it would have "saved me" pennies, so i said "forget it, never again will i bother with this crap".

i knew a contractor that he gets special discount for spending 150k+ at HD each year, but i have no idea how that works..

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Gary Hert
  • Investor
  • Hopatcong, NJ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hopatcong, NJ
Replied Mar 30 2016, 13:47
Originally posted by @George P.:

you should have started a new thread since the info in this one is super obsolete.

last i know, they do not give the 5% discount and they dont accept lowes coupons. so now i just pay retail at HD, where i shop exclusively. 

i think they still have the bid room, but i never used it since the few times i tried to use it would have "saved me" pennies, so i said "forget it, never again will i bother with this crap".

i knew a contractor that he gets special discount for spending 150k+ at HD each year, but i have no idea how that works..

George,

If you have a Home Depot / Lowes business credit card, you will get a 5% discount on all purchases. The discount at Lowes will occur automatically, and it must be requested with each purchase at Home Depot.

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
John Weidner
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Mar 30 2016, 14:36

So the conclusion is no discount?   Guess I'll have to go there and ask directly. 

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Manolo D.#3 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 30 2016, 18:32

John Weidner Go to bid room if you're buying 2500+. Ask for "bid room" price at contractors desk. I got 26% discount on my milgard windows, but my other supplier offered me 35%, so good bye home depot.

Topic locked