Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Daria B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
Cleaning dishwasher - not often used - looks like rust???

Daria B.
  • Gainesville, FL
Posted
Hi all- I've got a dishwasher that is seldom used. Today I had the plumber out to switch a kitchen facet. Since he had to cut off the water I wanted to make sure everything was flowing and working correctly. When I opened the dishwasher to run it to make sure it was still flowing water - I was met with surprise at the build up of "I am not sure what it is". I ran it to see if it would clean out and it didn't. What can I use besides vinegar as a solution to run through the cycle? I would post a picture but I'm using the iPhone app and there is no upload. I'll try later when I get to a real computer. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Bob H.
  • Cedar Park, TX
Votes |
  • Cedar Park, TX
Replied

Try Lime-A-Way, CLR or the generic equivalent from Dollar Tree. If the racks have rusted, you can buy time with a vinyl paint called Uber Goop.

Account Closed
  • Greenville, OH
Votes |
  • Greenville, OH
Replied

"The Works" is the only thing I've found that works for the rust in my house.  Our water is very high in iron and even though we use salt pellets for iron in the softener, I still get signs of iron on the shower.  Spray it on, let it do it's thing.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Daria B.
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
  • Gainesville, FL
Replied

thanks @Account Closed and @Bob H. I'll try those suggestions.

The racks are fine. It's the bottom of the dishwasher where the water would drain that has what appears to be rust. The rotating arm just above where the water sprays looks to be okay.

I am not able to post a picture. I guess that feature has been removed. :\

Account Closed
  • Frederick, MD
Votes |
  • Frederick, MD
Replied

CLR - same as @Bob H. suggested.

User Stats

Votes
Bob H.
  • Cedar Park, TX
Votes |
  • Cedar Park, TX
Replied

One more thought: I recently bought LemiShine Multi-Purpose Machine Cleaner to clean the inside of a dishwasher that I thought was not washing well. I suppose it helped. I didn't have a rust problem, but I see that the product claims to eliminate rust stains. A three-pack at Big Lots was cheap, so it's worth a try. (It says you should use two pouches for an initial cleaning of heavy buildup.) The product also is intended for clothes washers and garbage disposals.

User Stats

Votes
Matt R.
  • Blue Springs, MO
Votes |
  • Blue Springs, MO
Replied

Many years ago, I had a job selling appliance parts, and the parts book listed a package of citric acid crystals for cleaning dishwashers.  You put it in the dishwasher detergent cup, instead of soap, and then ran a normal cycle with no dishes loaded.  Our service guys advised us (and we told customers) that Tang powdered drink mix would do the same job for less money, and every grocery store has it.  I've never had a dishwasher that was crusty enough to try it myself, though.

GE's information on using citric acid to clean out a dishwasher is here .

User Stats

Votes
Remmy Vernon
  • Vilas, WI
Votes |
  • Vilas, WI
Replied

We have rust issues in the water around here and our dishwashers often look orangish. I have had great luck with using some 'rust out' in them. Just fill the cleaner area with some, and run it. I then run it a few more times afterwards with regular cleaner.

User Stats

Votes
Daria B.
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
  • Gainesville, FL
Replied

Found the solution that worked - Thanks all!

I put a cup of vinegar on the top rack and ran the normal cycle.

Then I sprinkled some baking soda around the bottom affected area. Also a dash of Clorox. Ran this on the highest cycle.

Brand new and no signs of break down in material or mechanics.

@Account Closed

@Bob H.

@Account Closed

@Matt R.

@Remmy Vernon

User Stats

Votes
Scott Schultz
  • West Bend, WI
Votes |
  • West Bend, WI
Replied

Rust Out, is the best, we use it all the time, otherwise everything is orange in these parts.