Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Kelly
  • Investor
  • canton, MA
Votes |
Carpet Tiles

Patrick Kelly
  • Investor
  • canton, MA
Posted Jan 18 2016, 10:03

I've seen carpet tiles used in a lot of commercial properties and was wondering if they are worth using in small multi-family units. This is a C property in a B+ area and I'm looking to rehab. It has tenants in it, but the flooring is really beat up and the tenants are complaining. I was thinking of either doing an allure flooring that looks like wood or carpet tiles that can be replaced individually as they get damaged. Just wondering if anyone has any experience.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Jan 18 2016, 10:16

Rubber backed commercial carpet tiles have worked great for me.  They can stand about anything except heat.  A cigarette cherry or iron will burn right through.  Nice to be able to replace squares as necessary.  Is the floor itself pretty level @Patrick Kelly?  What's on the floor now? Plywood or particle board underneath? 

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
ModeratorReplied Jan 18 2016, 10:21

Carpet tiles will look awesome for about 5 minutes. If the floors are beat up now, your best bet is either a solid hardwood floor which can be refinished multiple times, or an Allure flooring. Cheapest is not always best for the long term. I'm in the solid hardwood camp, because it can be refinished so many times. But water does bad things to hardwood and you're in Massachusetts. Snow could ruin them. I'd vote Allure.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Roy N.
Pro Member
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
ModeratorReplied Jan 18 2016, 10:21

We use carpet tiles in corridors and other common areas.  

I suppose if you had the right pattern, they could work in a living space without looking overly institutional.

In the apartment itself, I would lean towards vinyl plank with an area rug in lieu of carpet ... much easier to clean and deal with between tenants.  You can get vinyl floor which uses a pressure adhesive and the planks do not ship-lap or interlock; this allows each plank to be pulled-up/replaced without disassembling the entire floor.

In (converted) houses, I tend towards hardwood (engineered or traditional), a good quality laminate, or ceramic/porcelain tiles (if the subfloor is stable enough).

In {older}, stick-built multis, you are often compelled to use soft flooring options (carpet, vinyl, linoleum, cork), particularly in bedrooms and living rooms, due to sound transference.  

Laminate, or floating engineered hardwood, can be maddening for downstairs tenants in a stick-built multi!  {Life lesson learned the hard way ... lifeline provided by using custom area rugs in all living rooms and bedrooms.} 

User Stats

Votes
Tim Wilkinson
  • Investor
  • Salisbury, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Salisbury, MA
Replied Jan 18 2016, 10:24

common area is perfect for it. I agree with Roy. Sheet vinyl or hardwood in the unit. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hurney
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Jan 18 2016, 12:58

@Patrick KellyI've had good luck the past few years with self stick vinyl tiles from Depot, especially in kitchens.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Thomas
  • Okmulgee, OK
Votes |
  • Okmulgee, OK
Replied Jan 19 2016, 21:36

Coming from a handyman, carpet is only as good as the installation, and carpet tiles are doubly so. If you go that route,you HAVE to make sure the adhesive is REALLY good and make sure the edges have plenty. If you dont the corners will eventually poke  up. Installation is quick and fairly straight forward though. The floor needs to be fairly level and the surface you stick them to needs to be clean when installed.  

User Stats

Votes
Jim Adrian
  • Architect
  • Papillion, NE
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Papillion, NE
Replied Jan 20 2016, 08:40

Carpet tiles will hold up but if the edges aren't glued well it will look crappy. They can be replaced easy. What ever product you use make sure it sits in the house for a few days to acclimate.  You may want to open up the product packaging.   At this point, it comes down to what look you want.  A wood looking floor will always look richer that carpet. 

User Stats

Votes
Rick H.#4 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Lender
  • Greater LA/Orange County area, CA
Votes |
Rick H.#4 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Lender
  • Greater LA/Orange County area, CA
Replied Jan 20 2016, 09:00

It would seem to me that carpet tiles in bedrooms only makes sense for rentals.

I've been in the habit of using ceramic tile in common areas, including high traffic like entryway and hallways then creating islands of carpet in bedrooms. 

This makes replacing carpet in a single bedroom easy with remnant carpet. However, I've never tried carpet squares as an alternative for nice remnant carpet. Also, I don't get a lot of turnover. 

Anyone use the 'islands of carpet' method with carpet squares?

User Stats

Votes
Michael Quarles#1 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
Michael Quarles#1 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied Jan 20 2016, 09:17

I guess in a high crime area carpet tiles make sense... Ya know... easier to clean up the blood stains... 

Other then that it seems too much of a trailer trash mentality.

User Stats

Votes
Alison Robinson
  • Investor
  • Joliet, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Joliet, IL
Replied Jan 22 2016, 13:12

I'm planning to use carpet tiles in a small mud room entryway to replace old laminate flooring.

User Stats

Votes
Sylvia B.
  • Douglas County, MO
Votes |
  • Douglas County, MO
Replied Jan 22 2016, 17:55

Our local home center carries a loose lay sheet vinyl that looks and feels like wood. At less than $1/ft² you really can't beat it. My nicer houses get engineered hard wood, but I have 2 smaller houses with this flooring throughout.

User Stats

Votes
Julie Marquez
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Skagit County, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Skagit County, WA
Replied Jan 22 2016, 18:08

I think carpet tiles can be great in the right spaces, with the right adhesive and installation. Just make sure to keep a healthy stock of tiles. They often discontinue quickly, or change lots.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!