Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Chicago Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jay Ritchie
Votes |
Contractors to replace lead / supply / main water line?

Jay Ritchie
Posted

I searched but didn't find any specific referrals. Just posts that say get a lot of quotes because they can vary considerably.

Need to replace a supply line from the main to the house. Luckily the main is on my side of the street.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Paul De Luca
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied

@Jay Ritchie

I came across this website which I think could help you: https://www.leadsafechicago.or...

If you qualify for the city's programs, you may be able to get it done for free or at a discount. They also provide a list of licensed plumbers that you can contact to do the job if you scroll down.

• Real Estate Agent Illinois (#475.190985)

Magnus Properties LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jarrett Harris
  • Calumet City, IL
Votes |
  • Calumet City, IL
Replied

Where are you in Chicago? If you are near the far south side I night be able to recommend someone. 

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Jarrett Harris:

Where are you in Chicago? If you are near the far south side I night be able to recommend someone. 

I would love a recommendation for a place near Midway Airport. Who are you using, if I may ask?

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Replied

@Jay Ritchie if you need to do this near Berwyn I have an excellent plumber who did this for one of my listings. The prices can very wildly that is for sure, but I last saw this cost around 12k. 

Forte Properties, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Eudith Vacio
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago & NWI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago & NWI
Replied

Hey @Jay Ritchie - yikes 😳 

If you are near the southeast/west side of chicago, I can definitely recommend you someone that I work with that is reliable and pretty reasonably priced. 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Contractors
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Contractors
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied

Hey @Jay Ritchie - From our experience here in Chicago, we typically see new water/sewer lines range in cost from $16-24k depending on the depth of the trench, distance from the street to house, and just different contractors.

What area of the city are you in?

User Stats

Votes
Jay Ritchie
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Jonathan Klemm:

Hey @Jay Ritchie - From our experience here in Chicago, we typically see new water/sewer lines range in cost from $16-24k depending on the depth of the trench, distance from the street to house, and just different contractors.

What area of the city are you in?

Hi Jonathan,

The project is on the north side, near Bryn Mawr and Kedzie. If you have referrals, I’d take them.

Jay

User Stats

Votes
Jay Ritchie
Votes |
Replied

@Jarrett Harris @John Warren @Eudith Vacio thanks for the replies but this project is on the north side. @Paul De Luca I’ve looked into the program. Unfortunately I don’t qualify for the free option and finding a contractor that actually wants to jump through the hoops for the permit waiver is another hurdle. I heard the way it works is the plumber applies, has to pay the permit fee and then gets reimbursed months later. 🙄

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Contractors
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Contractors
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied

Hey @Jay Ritchie - We have a couple of decent Chicago plumbers we could refer.  Feel free to shoot me a PM and I can provide their contact detail.

@Paul De Luca - Thanks for sharing about the lead program.  I've also heard of it but never heard of anyone who has actually utilized it.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Stephenson
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orland Park, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orland Park, IL
Replied

Reviving an old thread as I have a similar issue. I've got to replace about 40' of sewer line out to the street at my rental in Orland Park. The sections of pipe are separated, so I'm thinking it's an open trench job. Does anyone have any recommendations for contractors/plumbers to do the work? Also, any suggestions for ways to save money on the repair? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Just get lots of estimates, as they can differ by thousands. Keep in mind you will need city permits. Maybe ask city inspectors which contractors have the least problems passing inspection?