Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Rodney Brandt
Votes |
Best introduction book to syndication real estate investing

Rodney Brandt
Posted Jul 31 2024, 09:52

Hello.  I am looking for a recommendation for best book to introduce me to syndication as a real estate investment strategy.  Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Messer
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lima, Perú
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lima, Perú
Replied Jul 31 2024, 13:59
Quote from @Rodney Brandt:

Hello.  I am looking for a recommendation for best book to introduce me to syndication as a real estate investment strategy.  Thank you.

I strongly recommend The Hands-Off Investor: An Insider’s Guide to Investing in Passive Real Estate Syndications, by Brian Burke.

He also is active here on BiggerPocketshttps://www.biggerpockets.com/users/cirrusav8or.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 31 2024, 14:03

What aspect of syndication are you looking to learn more about? You looking to run a syndication or be a passive investor?
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Rodney Brandt
Votes |
Replied Jul 31 2024, 14:48
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

What aspect of syndication are you looking to learn more about? You looking to run a syndication or be a passive investor?
I wish to be a passive investor. Thank you. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 31 2024, 18:08

1. 'Investing in Real Estate Private Equity' by Sean Cook is a great intro level book, that assumes you know nothing about the syndication space but it doesn't treat you like an idiot either, it takes you along and educates you

2. higher level is "CRE analysis and investments" , a textbook by Geltner et al. which I loved, breaks down all aspects of CRE, how to underwrite etc.

3. lots of online stuff helpful too, like The Real Estate Syndication Show, recent episode below

Over 100 Passive Investments and Lessons Learned with Joe Fairless (youtube.com)

4. For information about the legal implications of syndication investing and structures. look at Mauricio Rauld, a recent video:

How to Become an Accredited Investor | Updated 2024 (youtube.com)

5. an obviously read all the threads on the BP thread for syndication investing under forums/real estate strategies/ syndications etc

good luck

User Stats

Votes
Rodney Brandt
Votes |
Replied Jul 31 2024, 18:18
Quote from @Paul Azad:

1. 'Investing in Real Estate Private Equity' by Sean Cook is a great intro level book, that assumes you know nothing about the syndication space but it doesn't treat you like an idiot either, it takes you along and educates you

2. higher level is "CRE analysis and investments" , a textbook by Geltner et al. which I loved, breaks down all aspects of CRE, how to underwrite etc.

3. lots of online stuff helpful too, like The Real Estate Syndication Show, recent episode below

Over 100 Passive Investments and Lessons Learned with Joe Fairless (youtube.com)

4. For information about the legal implications of syndication investing and structures. look at Mauricio Rauld, a recent video:

How to Become an Accredited Investor | Updated 2024 (youtube.com)

5. an obviously read all the threads on the BP thread for syndication investing under forums/real estate strategies/ syndications etc

good luck

Thank you. 

User Stats

Votes
Ian Ippolito
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Aug 1 2024, 05:17

This is the book I wish I'd read when I started...and I think it should be required reading for every beginner and pro.

It's called "Investing in Real Estate Private Equity: An Insider’s Guide to Real Estate Partnerships, Funds, Joint Ventures & Crowdfunding". And it's written under the pseudonym of Sean Cook by Paul Kaseburg.

Paul’s sat on both sides of the table on over $2 billion of real estate deals. And in my opinion, his book covers everything a newbie needs to understand: from asset selection, to evaluating sponsors, to capital structures. For pros, he challenges conventional wisdom and explodes sacred cows by exposing hidden conflicts of interests and mis-alignments that many in the industry won’t admit to.

And I feel this book took my personal due diligence (and how I look at deals) to the next level.

User Stats

Votes
Natalie Bender
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied Aug 1 2024, 08:34

If you are close to retirement or looking to plan ahead I would recommend, Cashing in Tax Free written by Leslie Pappas. This book is your ultimate guide to tax-free retirement and estate planning using 1031 exchanges and DSTs.

User Stats

Votes
Jim Pfeifer
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dublin, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dublin, OH
Replied Aug 1 2024, 09:06

I am a full time passive investor in real estate syndications.  There are two books that have been the most helpful in my journey and I believe both are must reads for any new and experienced investors:

The Hand's Off Investor by @Brian Burke.  It takes you through the whole process, including specific details on how to analyze a deal.

Avoiding Rookie Errors as a Left Field Investor by @Steve S.. This book highlights 20 lessons learned by Steve over his 14 years of investing in syndications.  It allows you to learn from the mistakes of others so you can shortcut the process and avoid common mistakes investors make.

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Aug 1 2024, 14:29

You’ve got some of the best experts in syndication here in @Ian Ippolito and @Brian Burke.  Always listen to experts who have no bias in their opinions.  Don’t listen to an expert with something to sell you - like me! 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia