Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Seo Hui Han
Votes |
SBLOC, All Cash Purchase, Refi, Payback, Repeat. Is this a thing?

Seo Hui Han
Posted

I must have too much time on my hands. Was having a fun, purely academic conversation with someone and somehow the topic went from the stock market, ETF's, to real estate, to BRRR's and either he or I or both us came up with this and wondered is this a legit strategy that others have used?

Here's how it works:

For starters, we are assuming that you have a sizeable stock portfolio.  For argument's sake, and to keep the math simple, let's say you have $1 Million in ETF's or some other safe-ish, well-diversified assets.

Step 1: Take out an SBLOC (Security backed line of credit) on said portfolio. Could be a different product too (Pledge Asset, for example), but basically a loan against your holdings. Let's say you want to stay conservative and only take 50% LTV, or $500,000.00, so that you don't have to sell anything in case of a market correction and there's a margin call.

Step 2:  Purchase a rental property, all-cash, with that $500,000.  Or maybe 450K, because you may need reserves, have to do some reno, etc.  Stabilize and lease up the property.  At this time, you would also be making interest only payments on your SBLOC.  Also at this time, your stock portfolio would continue to increase in value as well.

Step 3: Refinance your rental property. If you're lucky, then after a couple years your property has appreciated, gone up in value (possibly because of rehabs you've done, rents that have been raised, or both). If you get 70% LTV, you would be getting a sizeable chunk of that original $500K back. Or maybe all. Depends on market conditions, interest rates, etc.

Step 4:  Pay back the principal you originally took out on your SBLOC, bringing your leverage balance on your portfolio back to 0.

Step 5:  Repeat.

Opinions?  Is this playing with fire?  Is this so crazy that it might just work?  I imagine if stocks and RE took massive corrections, this might be a recipe for disaster?

User Stats

Votes
Replied

There's a lot to unpack there I think.  This is a viable strategy as I almost did this my self.  I ended up going a different route but this is as good of strategy as any depending on the terms on the SBLOC. Betting on appreciation for the recapture of initial funds in this market with a refi may put you negative cash flow. I would keep that in mind.

User Stats

Votes
Seo Hui Han
Votes |
Replied

@Stetson Oates, Thanks, and you are right, market conditions would limit how much of the initial funds one would be able to withdraw.

I should also add that, while I am not an accountant or tax professional, it appears that at no time in the strategy above would one trigger a taxable event, since you're not selling any stocks or property.  There would be the cashflow from the rental property, of course, but that would be largely mitigated by depreciating the property.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#4 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied

@Seo Hui Han

that's just the BRRRR strategy, and using borrowed money for the buy.

it's just about risk.

low risk: buying with actual cash, from your own checking account.  no financing costs whatsoever.  but that money is tied up.

higher risk: borrowed money. any kind of borrowed money. hard money, private money, HELOC, 401K loan, SBLOC, your uncle's money.

User Stats

Votes
Seo Hui Han
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Nicholas L.:

@Seo Hui Han

that's just the BRRRR strategy, and using borrowed money for the buy.

it's just about risk.

low risk: buying with actual cash, from your own checking account.  no financing costs whatsoever.  but that money is tied up.

higher risk: borrowed money. any kind of borrowed money. hard money, private money, HELOC, 401K loan, SBLOC, your uncle's money.

You're right.  In fact, I'm embarrassed to say that not only is this not anything new, but there's also a YouTube video about this:

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied

@Seo Hui Han

All good.  Are you investing in RE?  I'm actually trying to get more into stocks while continuing to grow my RE portfolio.

User Stats

Votes
Seo Hui Han
Votes |
Replied

Yes, I am all into RE.  But I am also into stocks, and this seems like the best of both worlds.

Also realized I messed up with the YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZnjNdW3Yck&t=58s

User Stats

Votes
Ivan Terrero
  • Investor
  • Naples, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Naples, FL
Replied

@Seo Hui Han

There was a guest on BP money who did this......don't remember the episode...

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
#3 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied

This would be a precarious time to do a loan from stocks. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Replied

At the end of the day, you are pledging an asset (stocks, in your example) for potential liquidity. Disclaimer: my stock 'portfolio' is small relative to NW. 

After the GR (Great Recession) we did these types of loans through a pool (group of properties in a tranche) on lower-cost, lower-rent property. See this BP post, for example.  Simple collateral substitution. 

Would I be doing business today like on 12/21/2012? #e!! no. There is a time and place for every strategy. When factoring in risk, I agree with @V.G Jason

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied
Quote from @Chris Martin:

At the end of the day, you are pledging an asset (stocks, in your example) for potential liquidity. Disclaimer: my stock 'portfolio' is small relative to NW. 

After the GR (Great Recession) we did these types of loans through a pool (group of properties in a tranche) on lower-cost, lower-rent property. See this BP post, for example.  Simple collateral substitution. 

Would I be doing business today like on 12/21/2012? #e!! no. There is a time and place for every strategy. When factoring in risk, I agree with @V.G Jason

The start of the fall....margin call. Get ready. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Replied
Quote from @V.G Jason:
Quote from @Chris Martin:

The start of the fall....margin call. Get ready. 

Scary stuff. Over $800 Billion sounds like a big number. $2,400 per person in the US. Chart is from FINRA data on their Margin Statistics page

(Chart goes right to left chronologically.)