Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brooke Larson
Agent
Votes |
Investing in Residential Construction?

Brooke Larson
Agent
Posted May 11 2024, 18:42

It seems like there hasn't been much discussion about new residential construction projects and the opportunities they offer. Given the potential for high returns, customizable involvement levels, and significant tax benefits, I believe this is a great investment opportunity, particularly in markets experiencing rapid growth.

I've been keeping an eye on developments in Georgia, where builders are struggling to meet the surging demand driven by population increases in certain areas. This presents a unique opportunity for investors!

Let's kick off this discussion— if you've ventured into residential construction investments, could you share which market you're in, your experiences or challenges, and any advice for newcomers?

Also, if anyone's curious about investing in residential construction in Georgia, feel free to reach out. I have connections with an experienced building & financing team and would love to keep the conversation going!

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied May 12 2024, 15:45

I agree with this but im in central IN. I listen to construction podcasts often too!

User Stats

Votes
Brooke Larson
Agent
Votes |
Agent
Replied May 13 2024, 10:21
Quote from @Kerry Noble Jr:

I agree with this but im in central IN. I listen to construction podcasts often too!

Awesome! Do you mind sharing a bit about your construction experience in Indiana? What construction podcasts do you listen to? 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied May 14 2024, 06:18
Quote from @Brooke Larson:
Quote from @Kerry Noble Jr:

Awesome! Do you mind sharing a bit about your construction experience in Indiana? What construction podcasts do you listen to? 

I've done about 3 rehabs and managed about 3 for others. Would love to get into new construction.

"the construction management podcast" and "the construction leading edge" podcast are the 2 that I've listened to the most

User Stats

Votes
Scott P.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indiana...mostly
Votes |
  • Indiana...mostly
Replied May 18 2024, 20:34

My 2nd duplex was a new build in Indiana.  I just finished gathering pricing for a new build.  It was 30% more than I initially estimated.  I'm reducing the footprint and repricing....

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 19 2024, 11:37
Quote from @Scott P.:

My 2nd duplex was a new build in Indiana.  I just finished gathering pricing for a new build.  It was 30% more than I initially estimated.  I'm reducing the footprint and repricing....

finally a smart person. our floorplan for each unit we build is 668 sq ft and 2 beds for that exact same reason. people that Aren't in cheap markets don't understand. in columbus we face appraisal issues if we don't keep it as small as possible. 

User Stats

Votes
Brooke Larson
Agent
Votes |
Agent
Replied May 20 2024, 09:13
Quote from @Scott P.:

Very interesting! Do you focus more on multi-family builds versus single family? Is the new build similar to your 2nd duplex, how much time between the two? That seems like a rather large price hike! 

User Stats

Votes
Scott P.
  • Indiana...mostly
Votes |
  • Indiana...mostly
Replied May 20 2024, 14:19
Quote from @Scott P.:

Very interesting! Do you focus more on multi-family builds versus single family? Is the new build similar to your 2nd duplex, how much time between the two? That seems like a rather large price hike! 

@BrookeLarson, Over 25 years between the two. I do a little of both. The new build looks like a SFR. So no, not really similar to a 2-family dwelling.

I've drawn the new build for an owner-occupant to have a single family home but with the option of having a "tenant"/roommate or family member (perhaps in-laws, or elderly parent/grandparent, or a brother/sister, who wants private, separate living space, etc.) living in their own space with their own separate utilities. This gives the Owner the best of all worlds - SF or STR/LTR - enabling keeping the home affordable for home owner while also providing an affordable place for a friend or family member to live, all while having privacy for both.

The 30% is just the difference between the total of my experienced estimate of what the build would have cost just 3 or 4 years ago plus a factor for the current period of inflation, versus the total of the bids that came in.  It's 30% more than I expected even though I was expecting to pay more than I would've just 3 or 4 years ago.   

A well known, senior Builder in my area quoted this new build from the same prints and for the same lot in the spring of 2021 after buying the lot in the fall of 2020.  I decided not to build at that time.  The bids now total 61.3% more than that Builder quoted. I expected it to cost 30% more than 2021, not 60% more. There are Scope differences between now and then.  I downsized the heating and air system but added a 2nd, separate system.  I upped the electrical service from 200 Amps to 400 Amps to accommodate future car charger(s).  I added rough-in only of a back-up generator.  And also,.... I deleted the Builder.  Builder's save people like me a lot of time and they earn their fees.  However, the largest line item in any new home construction cost for this type of home is the Builder, followed by the framing package and then the foundation system.  Even deleting the Builder left me 30% higher than I expected on this small, custom home.  So it's unaffordable at this time in my case to pay someone to Build i.e. be the General Contractor.  Had I hired that Builder or someone else to build it 4 years ago I'd have save 62% as well as a huge amount of time being the GC.

So, this build isn't just 30% more than that duplex I mentioned.  It's 30% more than I though it would be, even allowing for the recent inflation. So to answer your other question,  the estimated cost for this build 3 times the cost of that duplex build for roughly equal square footage and including the lots and utilities and everything for both.  If I add 10% for the Builder/GC for this new build, it would be 3.25 times the cost of that new build duplex 28 years ago.   (Keep in mind that duplexes have 2 kitchens, 2 HVAC systems, a garage on each side, etc.)

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 21 2024, 19:46
Quote from @Scott P.:

building multifamily is one of the lowest risk strategies out there. single fam has no economies of scale and in columbus right now I would argue that the cost of a garage is greater than the value you even get for an appraiser. so a 400 sq ft garage if that was heated space is worth 5x to 6x. because of that, we build multifamily more because of the economies of scale as well as density, increased rent coverage, etc etc