Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sara Ball
  • Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Converting a grandfathered duplex to SFH + ADU

Sara Ball
  • Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Posted

We have a nice, large lot (7500sf, level, no trees) in a prominent NR3 zoned location in Seattle, currently serving as a grandfathered duplex. With the 2019 ADU law, we are considering converting the duplex to a single family home plus ADU, so that we can build a DADU in the ample backyard. Does anybody know about the process to convert a grandfathered duplex to an SFH + ADU? We would love to hear from anyone who has been through is process! Are there any foreseeable downsides to this conversion? What kinds of code updates should we expect this to trigger? It seems like a really cool opportunity, so we'd love to participate. Thank you so much, BP community!

User Stats

Votes
Eric Yu
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle, WA
Replied

Nice! This is an awesome opportunity for you. I'd recommend reaching out and speaking to a real estate attorney about how to best approach this. 

I haven't gone through the conversion you're trying to do, but I'm currently working on building out a DADU on an NR3 lot myself, so happy to knowledge share what I learn along the way. Feel free to DM me to chat more!

User Stats

Votes
Sherief Elbassuoni
  • Realtor
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied

@Sara Ball, I did that and I can show you the steps!

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Sara Ball
  • Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Replied

@Sherief Elbassuoni Thank you! I see your number in your signature - I will give you a call this morning.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

@Sara Ball and @Sherief Elbassuoni, I am in a similar situation where I need to convert duplex SFH + ADU to be able to build a DADU.

Sherief, if I may, I would love to connect with you and learn from your experience. Sara Ball, did you end up going through the process?

Best,

Parth

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied
Quote from @Parth Panchal:

@Sara Ball and @Sherief Elbassuoni, I am in a similar situation where I need to convert duplex SFH + ADU to be able to build a DADU.

Sherief, if I may, I would love to connect with you and learn from your experience. Sara Ball, did you end up going through the process?

Best,

Parth

@Parth Panchal One thing you would want to consider is that Fannie/Freddie will NOT finance a 2-4 unit building with an ADU. So, that can potentially limit your buyers when/if you go to sell. There are non-conventional programs that will allow on an exception basis but not ever one can qualify or will even know about those programs.

See here for Fannie:  https://selling-guide.fanniemae.com/Selling-Guide/Originatio...

User Stats

Votes
Sara Ball
  • Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Replied

@Parth Panchal I did and it was relatively painless. In construction phase now. Happy to discuss - feel free to call or DM me!

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Thank you Sara!, DM sent

User Stats

Votes
Matt Devincenzo#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Votes |
Matt Devincenzo#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Replied

@Jay Hurst I thought Freddie had actually chamged their guidelines to finance MFR with a single ADU...

https://guide.freddiemac.com/app/guide/section/5601.2

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied
Quote from @Matt Devincenzo:

@Jay Hurst I thought Freddie had actually chamged their guidelines to finance MFR with a single ADU...

https://guide.freddiemac.com/app/guide/section/5601.2

That is great!  I had not noticed that change. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied

@Sara Ball I am also looking to convert my duplex into an SFH+ADU and wondering if you'd be willing to talk with me for a few minutes about the process you went through successfully. I'm new to Bigger Pockets and still figuring things out around here ;)

User Stats

Votes
Sara Ball
  • Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Replied

Sure, happy to chat. I just gave you a call from your DM so you have my number. Feel free to reach out there.