Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Off Topic
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
If you think gas prices are high now, just wait until you're forced to drive an EV

Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Posted

I saw this in a story regarding an event in Las Vegas:

Marjorie Taylor Greene, speaking at a Donald Trump rally, tackled the topic of electric vehicles in a way that left many attendees puzzled. She boldly claimed, "If you think gas prices are high now, just wait until you're forced to drive an electric vehicle,"

I, like many others, doubt she has actually driven an EV let alone charged one. That is too bad, because with some understanding she may gain an appreciation for them when property used. I hope that happens. For those in BP Nation who don't know, EVs like my F-150 Lightning run 100% on electricity via batteries and do not use petroleum products as fuel. Other F-150 models can run on gas or diesel, but the Lightning runs on electricity-driven motors.

As for cost, my nuclear-powered Duke Energy NC Residential Service (RES) costs $0.11661 per kWh. At 100kWh to charge my truck yesterday, from about 15% charge to 95% charge, my cost was $11.66. That $11.66 allowed me to drive 250 miles. So, my cost per mile is ($11.66/250 miles) $0.04664/mile, or about $0.05 per mile. A nickel per mile.

The 2025 RAM 1500 (gas) gets 17-23 MGP which represents one of the best in its class for fuel efficiency. Well, at $0.05 per mile, a gallon of gas should be $0.85 to $1.15 to match what I pay in the EV MGP-equivalent. I'll stick to the Lightning... but I still have my long-paid-off 1996 RAM 3500 dually and 1999 RAM 2500 just in case (especially if I ever have to tow long distances.) 

Loading replies...