How does the property management industry do in a downturn?

How does the property management industry do in a downturn?

Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 2 votes

I am looking at getting out of commercial construction management and into something more related to real estate investment (particularly buy and hold rentals). I am looking towards property management. I am wondering how this industry does in a downturn.  I'm thinking that it probably does okay because more people might be renting their homes instead of buying in a downturn, but it would be nice to hear from someone with actual experience in this industry.

2nd question: what kind of licenses would be more likely to get me hired and for a higher salary starting off, and what kind of salary could I expect? I am in Texas, where I believe that somewhere in the company, someone needs to have a real estate license license to be a property manager, but not necessarily everyone, akin to how a bunch of workers can work on electrical systems in a structure as long as they are working under a licensed electrician.

Any info would be very helpful, as I'm just beginning my research on this.

1Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Dawn Brenengen:

@Jay Hinrichs We have had an influx of emails from our property owners, but so far, they have all been to proactively say they want to work with tenants if they are having any financial trouble.  It's actually been really heartwarming to see the response so far.

Ya a month ago I made a post on BP what would you do.. and of course 75% of those on BP who answered did so with the 

NO PAY NO STAY or we are not a charity  or we are a profit business or its not our issue etc etc.. Now of course when they realize this is a world wide issue attitudes have changed..  I suggested back then one would want to be proactive to save GOOD tenants.. not Tenants that are problem childs but GOOD tenants.. and we are seeing that now

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Forney, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 399 votes
    6y

    Welcome to Biggerpocket!! Wish the most success in your 2020 future adventures!! I hope the best for you in your new goals. I have future plans to do Property Management myself. 

    You may think about working for a company part time to learn the ropes before jumping out there. 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Unfortunately, I already work 60+ works per week, and am not really available during normal office hours, but thank you for the advice.

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Shaun Roark I started my PM company in 2010 during the last recession in response to finding more people needing that service.  Sales were slow at the time, and the number of accidental landlords was on the rise. I was able to replace my previous income within my first year.

    Most states will require you to have a real estate license to do PM activities.  You can do admin duties as an employee of a PM company without a license, but you will likely not be able to be hired as a property manager without a license.  Look up the requirements for your own state

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Brenengen:

    @Shaun Roark I started my PM company in 2010 during the last recession in response to finding more people needing that service.  Sales were slow at the time, and the number of accidental landlords was on the rise. I was able to replace my previous income within my first year.

    Most states will require you to have a real estate license to do PM activities.  You can do admin duties as an employee of a PM company without a license, but you will likely not be able to be hired as a property manager without a license.  Look up the requirements for your own state

    this was very common for brokerages all over the US as it created income for them.. I suspect right now coming into April and the uncertainty of rents coming in PM's are going to be quite busy and will like landlords suffer reduced incomes as their income is based on collected rent at least the monthly portion .. just going to be a wild ride for landlords and Pm's in the next few months but it will pass.

    I suspect PM's are being bombarded right now with worried investors..  

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jay Hinrichs We have had an influx of emails from our property owners, but so far, they have all been to proactively say they want to work with tenants if they are having any financial trouble.  It's actually been really heartwarming to see the response so far.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Brenengen:

    @Jay Hinrichs We have had an influx of emails from our property owners, but so far, they have all been to proactively say they want to work with tenants if they are having any financial trouble.  It's actually been really heartwarming to see the response so far.

    Ya a month ago I made a post on BP what would you do.. and of course 75% of those on BP who answered did so with the 

    NO PAY NO STAY or we are not a charity  or we are a profit business or its not our issue etc etc.. Now of course when they realize this is a world wide issue attitudes have changed..  I suggested back then one would want to be proactive to save GOOD tenants.. not Tenants that are problem childs but GOOD tenants.. and we are seeing that now

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Next question, exactly which type of license would I need? I have heard from one source that I would need a sellers license and to be sponsored by a broker. Another source said that I wouldn’t need a sponsor if I wasn’t using the license to actually sell real estate. Follow up question: if I do need a broker sponsor, how does one go about finding a broker sponsor? Do I just look one up in the phone book and pay them a certain amount, or is it more complicated than that?

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Shaun Roark The company your work for will have a broker who will be your sponsoring broker.  You would need a broker if you are doing anything that requires a RE license, like property management.  The broker is basically your supervisor.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Dawn Brenengen I'm a little confused.  You say the company I would be working for will have a broker and I will need a broker to sponsor in order to get a license. And yet you say I would not likely be hired as a property manager without a license.  Am I understanding this correctly?  So what's my way in? I was hoping to get a license to be able to be more desirable to hire. I've asked a few people this question, and when I say "how do I get a broker", it's never really a clear answer. Why do you think this is?

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Shaun Roark You get a license first.  Then you hang that license with with a supervising broker, at which point you will be able to actually activate and use your license.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Dawn Brenengen Ah, so I CAN "get" a license without first having a broker sponsor, but in order to "activate" it and use it I'd need a sponsoring broker.  Thank you so much for clearing that up.  That explains why I've been seemingly been getting two different answers from everyone. 

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Shaun Roark Correct!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.