Newbie with 100k available in SD looking at Indy / Grand Rapids

Newbie with 100k available in SD looking at Indy / Grand Rapids

Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes

Greetings everyone,


TL;DR Newbie from San Diego with 50k liquid, 50k potential 401k loan saved up looking for a cap rate 10%+ property in Indianopolis/Grand Rapids. Looking for a turn-key to start out. Do not want to invest in SD due to horrible numbers.

I'm Ray and I'm a newbie from San Diego but grew up in the Midwest (which is where I'd like to invest); I've joined and attended my first meeting last night at our local REIC which was fantastic – Kathy Fettke was here (she rocks!). I want to focus on cash-flow and not speculate, so I'm avoiding my home market because the numbers don't make sense (unless you want a low cap rate class D property in this California frenzy). I've read a lot of books, posts, and listened to a large number of the BP podcasts and regularly speak with my mentors. I'm currently trying to figure out my first step – cheap SFH with cap rate of 10% in the Midwest, or going big with a commercial 16+ unit Grand Cardone style.

I'm an honest person. I squandered my cash in the stock market (to the tune of 250k…) but I've stopped gambling in stocks, and now have a bit built up in my war chest for real estate investing and money from my 401k available for investing. I currently have 50k liquid available in cash and another 50k potential 401k (TSP) loan so I have about 100 liquid. I don't want to touch the remaining stocks I have, they serve as a reminder of never gambling and I'm leaving those there as an emergency fund if I truly have to liquidate and take all the losses.

I learned from stock investing that I'm not risk averse enough; I will be conservative and prudent with real estate investing. I have already started my business plan, formed a mastermind group, and gotten a lot of friends/family interested. I plan on showing them a successful track record with 4 of my own cash-flowing properties first before accepting outside funds. I come from a business background and have a personal network that has cash available for investing.

I started drafting my business plan and I’m going to purchase my first 10 units with my own funds; first 6 should be easy with only 20% down, I like that the rule changed for only 25% on the last 4 for Fannie and Freddie. I have a decent salary with no debt and will focus on cash flow for out of state properties, my personal cash flow is about $2300 a month – I can increase it if I cut out things (travel or stop maxing my 401k's 18k yearly contribution cap. I'm particularly interested in Indianapolis or Grand Rapids, and I’m currently working on building a team there so I can invest remotely for cash flow in "C" areas. I'm considering a turn-key just to get my feet wet because I don’t like sitting on cash and not having it work.

I’m really interested in commercial units 16+ units but believe I need to buy some smaller units to provide a track record so that I can tap into my personal network that has the funds available to partner with for the bigger deals that truly excite me. They have bigger pockets of cash saved up due to going to a good b-school and going into more lucrative fields than myself.

I have a BBA from the University of Michigan's Ross School of Business, and a Masters in Engineering Systems from the Naval Postgraduate School. I'm a program manager by profession. I have 7 years of PM experience, and 3 years of experience prior to that as a Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Consultant focused on supply chain and financial module implementations for corporate enterprises. I like systems and efficiency.

I write my goals down in the morning and before bed and reflect everyday on how to get closer to achieving my goals. I find many of the podcasts here very helpful, and my two BP heros are Sharad Mehta and Grant Cardone.

What I struggle with now is that I learned all this great information from BP by my local market is in a bubble and I want to avoid it but I don’t know how to apply the techniques to build an out-of-state system. It’s hard not being able to physically visit properties or people. I know Sharad does it with technology but he built his systems in place before moving to California from IL.

Am I forced to pay retail with turn-keys as a starting investor if I’m looking in lower cost, non-bubble areas?

I follow macro trends and noticed that in the last few months, the Bay Area, Manhattan, Vancouver and other high price areas are starting to soften significantly but there are still deals to be had in other parts of the country.

Favorite Podcasts:

BP Podcast 155: From Zero to 200+ Deals in Five Years with Sharad Mehta

BP Podcast 108: Building a $350 Million Real Estate Empire Using the 10X Rule with Grant Cardone

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Kathy FettkePro Member
Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 100 posts · 180 votes
9y

Hi @Ray Lai, Thanks for the shout out!

You definitely don't have to pay retail for turnkey properties. Unfortunately, it's getting a little harder to get equity in Indianapolis, but it is possible. 

The best markets in our network for getting double digit cash flow AND equity are in Pittsburgh and Cleveland. These are still my two favorite markets still. Although, our new team in Tampa is pretty insanely good - their properties come with built in equity because they buy from probate and then turn 2-beds into 3 beds. 

We are just vetting 4 new teams - one in Detroit, and we think that will be a homerun too.

Anyway, there are some companies that offer "semi-turnkey" or BRRR (Buy, renovate, rent, repeat...) and you can get more equity at purchase. Most of our investors want totally turnkey and don't want to do a thing - they are 100% passive because they have demanding jobs and lives that don't allow them to spend much time on their investments (for now, until they build enough cash flow to quit their jobs!)

Let me know if you'd like a one-on-one strategy session to come up with a plan for building back some of those losses. (Trust me, I've been there!)

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
    9y

    Wow, you've been through a lot! I hate to hear you've had so much trouble in the market. It is hard.

    BP 108 is also my favorite podcast!

    Let me know if you have any questions!

  • Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
    9y

    Also yes, turn keys are market value.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Ray Lai

    Welcome to bigger pockets. Make sure to check out the Bigger Pockets Blog: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/

  • Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
    9y

    Thanks Rosston and Mark :)

    Will check out the blog.

    It's funny, right after I wrote my post I saw the posting from yesterday saying how Midwest and Indy are no bueno haha

  • Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
    9y

    Forgot to mention in the OP that my credit score is in the highest range.

  • Rental Property Investor · CA · Member since 2011 · 82 posts · 32 votes
    9y

    Heres a new BP article to reference.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2016-inve...

    "Indianapolis, IN was the market in the study that offered the least opportunity for residential real estate investors overall."

  • Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
    9y

    Thanks Rami, I literally read that right after this post. *facepalm

  • Rental Property Investor · CA · Member since 2011 · 82 posts · 32 votes
    9y

    I, too, was surprised by the data. A lot of people on here have been raving about Indy. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    @ray let's connect on IA
  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Ray Lai

    Thank you for your kind words. I am glad you enjoyed the podcast.

    I will send you a BP request and will connect with you offline. I might be able to help you with your goals.

    Thanks again for your kind words.

    Sharad

  • Kathy FettkePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 100 posts · 180 votes
    9y

    Hi @Ray Lai, Thanks for the shout out!

    You definitely don't have to pay retail for turnkey properties. Unfortunately, it's getting a little harder to get equity in Indianapolis, but it is possible. 

    The best markets in our network for getting double digit cash flow AND equity are in Pittsburgh and Cleveland. These are still my two favorite markets still. Although, our new team in Tampa is pretty insanely good - their properties come with built in equity because they buy from probate and then turn 2-beds into 3 beds. 

    We are just vetting 4 new teams - one in Detroit, and we think that will be a homerun too.

    Anyway, there are some companies that offer "semi-turnkey" or BRRR (Buy, renovate, rent, repeat...) and you can get more equity at purchase. Most of our investors want totally turnkey and don't want to do a thing - they are 100% passive because they have demanding jobs and lives that don't allow them to spend much time on their investments (for now, until they build enough cash flow to quit their jobs!)

    Let me know if you'd like a one-on-one strategy session to come up with a plan for building back some of those losses. (Trust me, I've been there!)

  • Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
    9y

    @Kathy Fettke

    I went through the full listings at your website and found limited inventory because you've got so much demand that it's hard to keep the shelves stocked. One of your partner companies contacted me (AREI) and I've picked out 4 properties with 13.79% COCR in St Louis, 2 in Indianapolis (BP rear view window look be damned), and 1 in Kansas City. I'm still doing due diligence though, but I did wire over $6k earnest money so the deal will probably consume all my funds. I won't have enough capital to redeploy for 12 months, unless I start wholesaling in San Diego, which I plan on doing to earn more income on top of my day job.

    It'll be awesome when your new team in Detroit comes online. I really wanted to invest in Grand Rapids but couldn't find anything there, it's flush with hot money.

    Thanks for the information on Pittsburgh and Cleveland and also the "semi-turnkey". I really wanted to go through your company but the inventory was just not there at this time, but I'll check again when I have more cash to deploy.

    Will sign up for a strategy session next time I have more cash to deploy. 
    Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write to me! You rock Kathy.

  • Kathy FettkePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 100 posts · 180 votes
    9y

    Hi Ray,

    We have the inventory - just not posted. You have to reach out to the providers because they often sell before they can post on our site. But AREI is great! Did you find them through our site? If so, say hello for me. And keep us posted (it always helps to have the backing of our network to make sure you get exactly what is promised....)

  • Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
    9y

    Hi @Kathy Fettke

    Ohh that makes sense. When I have more cash available I'll setup an appointment.

    Josh actually contacted me directly after seeing this post and mentioned that they've partnered with your company which means they are legit. 

    Will definitely keep you posted. I just wired over the deposit to hold 3 properties and I'm in the due diligence phase so no cash at this time. 

    Thank you,

    Ray

  • Kathy FettkePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 100 posts · 180 votes
    9y

    Ray, 

    We keep our website updated with the turnkey companies we recommend - and more importantly, no longer recommend. 

    Markets can change rapidly, and so can the quality of the teams that we vet. Sometimes good companies can go bad for various reasons (changes in the market or personnel), so it's really important to stay tuned in to our website to see if there are any changes to markets or turnkey providers we've recommended.

    I say this because in the past I've heard people bought from companies we once approved but then stopped using because the quality of their services started to suffer. We don't want that to happen ever again!

    That's really the power of working with Real Wealth Network. We hired a Six Sigma Blackbelt systems guy to perform regular audits of turnkey providers to make sure they continue to meet our very high standards.

    Be sure to speak with one of our investment counselors as well to get the inside scoop! They can look over the proforma and give you feedback based on years of experience on what to look for.

    All the best to you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.