New Part-Time Investor from Western New York

New Part-Time Investor from Western New York

Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 477 posts · 426 votes

Good Morning All!

I'm a new member from Western New York. My wife and I both work full-time jobs and are starting to purchase investment/income properties on a part time basis. Right now we own a single family home that has been rented out very successfully (knock on wood) for the past 18 months, and we are currently evaluating several more properties in a neighboring town.

Our current goal is to generate enough income/cashflow in the next 4 years to replace my wife's current income by investing conservatively, buying good cashflow properties, and rehabbing homes for rental when we can buy them right (cheap.) Our current investment property was an extensive rehab, and I find that it is work I actually enjoy doing.

Without knowing the community better, I may take some flack for this, but we are adverse to debt (at least as far as most Real Estate folks are concerned.) I don't believe in borrowing every single penny available, then refinancing what I already own to borrow more. I understand why many people do so - it's just not who we are. I have no problem taking on a mortgage to buy a property (or two, or three) but the goal is to own outright as much as possible, as fast as possible. I also understand the math looks better, and sometimes much better, when you borrow more for longer, but this is an investment philosophy choice for us. Hopefully that wont' make me stand out like too much of a sore thumb.

I work full time as a mechanical engineer, and in addition to the little experience I already have being a landlord/doing rehabs, I've been reading as much as I can. 'The ABCs of Real Estate Investment' had quite a bit of good information, and I'm just starting 'What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures, Updated Edition' which the engineer in me is very much looking forward to. I've also read quite a few other general business/finance books over the years, and am always looking for more information. I plan to start listening to the BiggerPockets podcasts during my commute (about 45 minutes each way, every day. Longer now that the snow is falling again) so if anyone has recommended ones to start with, I'd appreciate the info.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to how much there is to learn here, and hearing the experiences of folks who have been doing this for a long time. 

2Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bay Shore, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
10y

@Jason V.

Welcome aboard the vibrant BP community. You already have some tools in your toolbox....no pun intended.

Since your interest lies in buy and hold, I added several links below for your review. Upon reading and listening the included podcasts I am sure you and your wife will have a candid discussion about the pros and cons of your investment philosophy/strategy. 

Frankly, there is no right or wrong way, it's what you are comfortable with and if it's in line with your freedom number as mentioned in podcast 151.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/05/26/real-estate-financing/ (RE financing)

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/03/27/financing-options-rental-property-guide/ (financing options for rentals)

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/03/06/bp-podcast-060-serge-shukhat/ (0-68 rentals in 4 years)

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/08/02/passive-real-estate-investing/ (slowly building wealth through passive investing)

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/09/30/bought-rehabbed-rented-refinanced-14-properties/ (BRRRR explained)

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/01/04/how-to-rent-your-house/ (house rental guide)

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/02/22/buying-rental-property/ (how to buy a rental property)

Now, you simply have to work on the other elements to progress your REI pursuit.

Ok, now that you have taken your initial step, below are some quick links to get engaged.

REI books suggested by BPers

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/04/14/best-real-estate-books/?utm_source=search&utm_medium=internal&utm_campaign=books

Simply, bone up on the areas that you need to expand knowledge in such as, Forums, Marketplace, Learn, Network, Analyze and Resources.

Feast on the Podcasts, #askbp Podcasts, blogs and webinars

Lastly, this site thrives on interactions and as such we encourage two way exchanges and look forward to educational and thought provoking ideas relevant to REI.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael S.Pro Member
    Biggerpockets Support · Las Pinas, Metro Manila · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Jason V.

    Welcome to Biggerpockets. Great to have you here

    BiggerPockets
  • Investor · Bay Shore, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    10y

    @Jason V.

    Welcome aboard the vibrant BP community. You already have some tools in your toolbox....no pun intended.

    Since your interest lies in buy and hold, I added several links below for your review. Upon reading and listening the included podcasts I am sure you and your wife will have a candid discussion about the pros and cons of your investment philosophy/strategy. 

    Frankly, there is no right or wrong way, it's what you are comfortable with and if it's in line with your freedom number as mentioned in podcast 151.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/05/26/real-estate-financing/ (RE financing)

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/03/27/financing-options-rental-property-guide/ (financing options for rentals)

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/03/06/bp-podcast-060-serge-shukhat/ (0-68 rentals in 4 years)

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/08/02/passive-real-estate-investing/ (slowly building wealth through passive investing)

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/09/30/bought-rehabbed-rented-refinanced-14-properties/ (BRRRR explained)

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/01/04/how-to-rent-your-house/ (house rental guide)

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/02/22/buying-rental-property/ (how to buy a rental property)

    Now, you simply have to work on the other elements to progress your REI pursuit.

    Ok, now that you have taken your initial step, below are some quick links to get engaged.

    REI books suggested by BPers

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/04/14/best-real-estate-books/?utm_source=search&utm_medium=internal&utm_campaign=books

    Simply, bone up on the areas that you need to expand knowledge in such as, Forums, Marketplace, Learn, Network, Analyze and Resources.

    Feast on the Podcasts, #askbp Podcasts, blogs and webinars

    Lastly, this site thrives on interactions and as such we encourage two way exchanges and look forward to educational and thought provoking ideas relevant to REI.

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 477 posts · 426 votes
    10y

    Thanks Linval! Looks like some really great information there, and I really appreciate you taking the time to post it for me.

    My wife and I are actually both graduates of Stony Brook, which isn't too far from your stomping ground. We definitely miss the milder winters in LI, but we're Western New Yorkers at heart. 

  • Property Manager · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2015 · 537 posts · 56 votes
    10y

    Hi @Jason V., welcome to the BP community!

    You came to the right place. There's lots of great information here that will help you get started. With these great goals you have you're off to a great start! Just be aware that procrastination is your enemy.

    Wishing you lots of success!

  • Investor · Hamburg, NY · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Welcome Jason, I am also a part time investor working full time.  I am also an engineer, civil/structural though.  My goals are very similar to yours, looking to get cash flow so my wife can stay home with our kids. 

    I do recommed listening to the podcasts to get more insight, there are definately things there that you won't get in a book.  That is pretty much how I started, I went to a seminar and then listened to every single podcast as well as reading "Landlording on Autopilot", "Rich Dad Poor Dad" and the "Beginners Guide to Real Estate Investing".  Good luck with your investing.

  • Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 74 posts · 19 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jason V.:

    Good Morning All!

    I'm a new member from Western New York. My wife and I both work full-time jobs and are starting to purchase investment/income properties on a part time basis. Right now we own a single family home that has been rented out very successfully (knock on wood) for the past 18 months, and we are currently evaluating several more properties in a neighboring town.

    Our current goal is to generate enough income/cashflow in the next 4 years to replace my wife's current income by investing conservatively, buying good cashflow properties, and rehabbing homes for rental when we can buy them right (cheap.) Our current investment property was an extensive rehab, and I find that it is work I actually enjoy doing.

    Without knowing the community better, I may take some flack for this, but we are adverse to debt (at least as far as most Real Estate folks are concerned.) I don't believe in borrowing every single penny available, then refinancing what I already own to borrow more. I understand why many people do so - it's just not who we are. I have no problem taking on a mortgage to buy a property (or two, or three) but the goal is to own outright as much as possible, as fast as possible. I also understand the math looks better, and sometimes much better, when you borrow more for longer, but this is an investment philosophy choice for us. Hopefully that wont' make me stand out like too much of a sore thumb.

    I work full time as a mechanical engineer, and in addition to the little experience I already have being a landlord/doing rehabs, I've been reading as much as I can. 'The ABCs of Real Estate Investment' had quite a bit of good information, and I'm just starting 'What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures, Updated Edition' which the engineer in me is very much looking forward to. I've also read quite a few other general business/finance books over the years, and am always looking for more information. I plan to start listening to the BiggerPockets podcasts during my commute (about 45 minutes each way, every day. Longer now that the snow is falling again) so if anyone has recommended ones to start with, I'd appreciate the info.

    All in all, I'm really looking forward to how much there is to learn here, and hearing the experiences of folks who have been doing this for a long time. 

    Jason,

    Welcome to the BP community! Make sure you check out the keyword tab, it looks like the little bell up in the top right next to your image. You can list all the keywords you are interested in and get alerts when other BP members are discussing those topics. A great tool when first starting out. 

    Have you ever thought about investing in Turnkey assets? It is a great way for part-time investors to gain some experience and knowledge about Real Estate Investing. If you have any interest please do not hesitate to reach out to me!

    I wish you the best of luck and Happy Investing!  

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome to the site @Jason V.

    The math does look much better when taking out a long term loan.

    That is the best part about the business. You can use someone else's money (bank) to buy a home then have someone else (tenant) pay off your loan. IMO principle paydown is the number 1 reason to invest in real estate.

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Welcome to BP Jason! Where in western NY are you from? I grew up in Orange County. BP is great, so many honest helpful people on here.
  • Turnkey Provider/Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 167 posts · 37 votes
    10y

    @Jason V.

    Welcome to BP! I think you will find this forum extremely helpful - there is a wealth of knowledge! 

    Check out the BRRRR method in investing if you haven't already done https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/04/2...

    I think you will find it extremely helpful.

    Good luck to you!  Feel free to reach out with any questions. 

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 477 posts · 426 votes
    10y

    @Valerie Couch

    Thanks Valerie! Tons of smart people here, and it seems like I learn something new every time I log on. 

    As for the BRRRR strategy, I'm good with BRR, but I would be concerned about over-leveraging with constant refinances of the full BRRRR. In my mind (and I know lots of people think differently here, and I don't disagree with their choice) I'm comfortable borrowing money to buy a property with the intention of having that property pay for itself. The 'lever' is pretty short in that situation, enough that I would be comfortable with it, should it start putting some pressure on me. What I'm not entirely comfortable with is borrowing money from something I borrowed money on, that I borrowed money on, that I borrowed money to buy in the first place. That 'lever' is pretty long, and it doesn't take a lot of pressure on the end of it to make life uncomfortable for me. Again, just a personal choice based on my situation and goals. I understand it works well for people with different goals and circumstances.

    Thanks again for your input Valerie! 

  • Turnkey Provider/Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 167 posts · 37 votes
    10y

    I can certainly appreciate that!  It's refreshing to hear from someone who isn't using the usual "American Way" method of continuous debt.  Sounds like you will do very well - I wish you all the best.  Please let me know if I can help in any way.

    Kindly,

    Val

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.