Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Robert Carter
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ashburn, VA
Votes |
Standard for receiving payment

Robert Carter
Pro Member
  • Ashburn, VA
Posted Dec 4 2020, 11:25

I have a potential guest that would like to book the weekends next fall for all football home games. When it comes to receiving payment how should I approach this? Is it standard practice to ask for full payment, half of payment upfront then other half a month before they arrive, a deposit then they pay every month until 30 days before they arrive? Should I also put the payment schedule into the rental agreement? Any assistance would be great. Haven’t dealt with this before usually I go through Airbnb but this guest came across my property thru Instagram and doesn’t want to deal with the Airbnb fees, which I can understand.

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Dec 4 2020, 11:30

@Robert Carter.

Your comment is very vague seems like you’re renting to friends and using PayPal. Don’t do that.

Use Vrbo or ownerrez

User Stats

Votes
Lisa Graesser
  • The Villages, FL
Votes |
  • The Villages, FL
Replied Dec 4 2020, 11:41

I would send a rental agreement with all dates requested and all costs. Collect 1/2 now and 1/2 30 days prior to 1st weekend arrival. 

You receive payment with a check, PayPal, Venmo or Zelle, I have done all and not had any problem.

You might want to list your property on Houfy.com, free for guests and hosts and you can connect square or stripe and receive payments via credit card or the other options above. This site works well for me to send the link to previous bookings to receive direct bookings.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Carter
Pro Member
  • Ashburn, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Ashburn, VA
Replied Dec 4 2020, 12:53

Thanks @Lisa Graesser didn’t think of houfy.com. I’ll check into it.

@Luke Carl not trying to be vague. Really just received an inquiry outside of Airbnb which I normally use to book my rentals and they wanted multiple specific dates. I wanted to know the best way to move forward if the guest didn’t want to go thru Airbnb due to fees. Wasn’t sure what was the preferred way to gather payment since they won’t be checking in until 9 months from now. 

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl
Pro Member
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Dec 4 2020, 12:58
Originally posted by @Robert Carter:

Thanks @Lisa Graesser didn’t think of houfy.com. I’ll check into it.

@Luke Carl not trying to be vague. Really just received an inquiry outside of Airbnb which I normally use to book my rentals and they wanted multiple specific dates. I wanted to know the best way to move forward if the guest didn’t want to go thru Airbnb due to fees. Wasn’t sure what was the preferred way to gather payment since they won’t be checking in until 9 months from now. 

If they came through Airbnb make them book on Airbnb. It’s not worth the 15% to deal with the hassle 

User Stats

Votes
Robert Carter
Pro Member
  • Ashburn, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Ashburn, VA
Replied Dec 4 2020, 13:04

@Luke Carl it didn't come through Airbnb. I was direct message through our STR Instagram page. But normally I funnel it thru Airbnb because that's where I predominantly receive bookings (I don't have a direct booking site yet). I'll try houfy and also check out the other options. Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Bafia
  • Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Dec 4 2020, 13:35

Not trying to speak for @Luke Carl but i think whats being said is if you NORMALLY book guests through Airbnb, just keep the same process and direct the guest to book there.  Have them lock in all the dates they want and all the payments are scheduled and protected.

We were recently contacted by what ended up being a scam.  A guest was inquiring about a booking and said their company was paying for his rental as an "award" for his performance and wanted to get my address to send a check.  Granted this is not the same scenario as yours, but just sharing that there are scams, people  who don't pay, etc.  Why not keep it simple and just have them book through a legit platform and make it easier.

https://help.vrbo.com/articles/What-are-the-most-common-booking-request-scams#:~:text=In%20a%20classic%20overpay%20scam,send%20the%20%22overpayment%22%20back.&text=Some%20scammers%20send%20the%20correct,before%20the%20check%20has%20cleared.

Otherwise, if they really want it and you want it boked offline, collect 100% up front for any weekends they want to book and say that if you're tying up those dates that far out, you want commitment.

I'd personally not prefer an offline method.

User Stats

Votes
Chris O.
Votes |

What’s wrong with taking direct bookings? 

User Stats

Votes
Lisa Graesser
  • The Villages, FL
Votes |
  • The Villages, FL
Replied Dec 4 2020, 21:54

There is nothing wrong with taking direct booking, some would just prefer to rely on the OTA's

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Replied Dec 5 2020, 09:14

I collect in person, at the property.