Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brian Plesscher
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Should we Airbnb, rent to college students, or rent to a family?

Brian Plesscher
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Posted Oct 23 2020, 07:43

We are looking at buying our second home and renting the first. We live extremely close to a college in Colorado Springs. One property manager told us the highest cash flow option for us would be to rent to students but I would like to explore the idea of short term rentals. What do you think would be the best option for us?

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Replied Oct 23 2020, 07:55

Rent it to visiting professors instead of students.  I was a college student once, and I would never rent to someone like myself and the people I associated with.  One of my associates drove his motorcycle through a sliding glass door of his residence.  Another associate shot holes in his walls with a revolver.  Another associate came running up the stairs from the basement with a keg of beer and collided with a 55 gallon fish tank.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Oct 23 2020, 08:00

Unless you have a true vacation property then I would not do short term during the Pandemic.

Sounds like you already have a good recommendation. I'd go with that at least for now.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
The Easiest Way to Save 150 hours & $5,000 / year Stop the busy work and start growing your RE business with market leading APY & automated finances

User Stats

Votes
Jon Crosby
  • Investor
  • Roseville, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Roseville, CA
Replied Oct 23 2020, 08:39

There is a lot more to STRs then most people realize.  Unless you are super passionate about it or if it was a property you wanted to visit yourself from time to time (not sure why you would in this situation), I would probably just make it a regular rental for now and leverage the college as your primary source of rental traffic, but hopefully catering to responsible students (who are not going to party and thrash you home) or professors or other support staff for the college. 

Best of luck.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Gaal
  • Colorado Spgs, CO
Votes |
  • Colorado Spgs, CO
Replied Oct 23 2020, 08:41

@Brian Plesscher str is not a bad idea, unfortunately not something that you can always do in the Springs. I debated doing the exact same thing (renting to students) as i have a few friends that are renting by the room and are quite successful at it. Best advice I can offer is screen tennants effectively. There are several books floating around regarding that. If you're thinking Airbnb it would come down to how your house is zoned.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Oct 23 2020, 08:43
Originally posted by @Brian Plesscher:

We are looking at buying our second home and renting the first. We live extremely close to a college in Colorado Springs. One property manager told us the highest cash flow option for us would be to rent to students but I would like to explore the idea of short term rentals. What do you think would be the best option for us?

- Depends.

-Is it a 3 bedroom+ rent to students

- 1-2 bedroom airbnb that stuff

- families are poor, don't rent to them.

My duplex on OSU campus is a total of 8 bedrooms and rents for $4,500.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Malara
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Oct 23 2020, 16:33

@Brian Plesscher I’d recommend going with what others have found success with in your area. I know that @Mark Hirleman has been able to successfully implement a rent by the room strategy in the Colorado Springs area and could provide great insight into that specific market if you’re interested

User Stats

Votes
Boris Mordkovich
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Oct 26 2020, 09:46

One way to look at it is as follows:

1. Least cashflow; lease hassle - rent to a single family
2. Medium level of cashflow; a little more hassle - rent it by the bedroom to college students
3. More cashflow; same level of hassle as #2 - furnish the rooms, then rent to college students
4. Most cashflow; most hassle - furnish it and rent it out as short-term rentals. You’ll make more, but it’ll just take more energy and more of a system to set it up and run efficiently

User Stats

Votes
Sofia Sharkey
  • Property Manager
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Oct 28 2020, 05:06

There is a podcast here in bigger pockets about a lady who chooses college towns for her short term rentals. She has several and is an expert in that arena. I would find the podcast, look her up, and ask how are STRs doing in college towns during the pandemic. That should help you with your decision because I know in my area all colleges have gone virtual so I would not be investing by a college right now. Things will change again but for immediate cash flow, I’m not sure. Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Brian Plesscher
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Oct 28 2020, 05:55

@Jordan Malara thank you, Mark is actually the one who suggested renting by the room to students. That is the direction I have been leaning but want to make sure I’m not missing an opportunity.

User Stats

Votes
JJ P.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San DIego
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San DIego
Replied Nov 4 2020, 15:00

I think if you are nearby and self managing, renting to college students is a great strategy.   Generally the parents guarantee the rent, so rent payment is not the issue.   They are, however, not accustomed to running a household and are likely to be very gleeful about being on their own, unsupervised, and far from parental eyes.   In other words, they are hard on homes.  They will forget to turn off or on landscaping water.  They'll use your nice countertops as cutting boards.  They may even drive through with a motorcycle, as someone mentioned above.   Even if they are very responsible, they're still kids.  They have minimal or no "fix it skills" and are in the middle of developing an adults common sense.  

User Stats

Votes
Gi'angelo Bautista
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Nov 11 2020, 00:40

@Brian Plesscher

I think you should ask local short term rental property managers nearby for their 2nd opinion for what your market is doing.

Generally, we like to rent our single family homes to families. We don’t like rent single family homes to college students because they party. During COVID, they like to party on weekdays too.

If the house is rented by room on 1-3 month basis, we like to rent to college students. They don’t cause any trouble usually.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Riches
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Denver, CO
Replied Nov 11 2020, 11:22

I have done a few STRs in Colorado Springs and found the market is pretty localized and cyclical. The farther you are from the city center, the less you will be able to charge nightly. Additionally, there are not a lot of people traveling to COS from November to April. Expect to get much less for your nightly rates and experience higher vacancies. 

Depending on your financial situation - if you are planning on claiming the income from the property to help you qualify for the new one, many lenders will not allow you to claim STR revenue as income on the property. This was the case for us in COS, when we were looking to buy our second property and rent out our first our lender told us we needed a signed lease and proof that the security deposit had cleared in order to qualify for our new loan.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
James Carlson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Nov 11 2020, 13:04

@Brian Plesscher

That's an exciting move. Are you close to Colorado College or UCCS? We have a 4br/2ba house in Colorado Springs near Colorado College and get $3,200 for it. We're happy, but I'd definitely do your due diligence when choosing tenants and get all parents to co-sign.

The bigger issue with Airbnb or short-term rentals in Colorado Springs is not how well they'll do -- they do great if you run them well. The biggest issue is the law. Yes, technically, you are allowed to do STRs in non-owner-occupied homes, but ... big but: Only on properties zoned R2 or some other multi-unit zoning and only if it's 500' away from another non-owner occupied Airbnb. When you start drawing those 500-foot bubbles on a map, most of the city is blotted out.

Final note: If you're going to do the college rental thing, I'd stick with renting to one group. If you really want to go the house-hack style, rent-by-the-room model, you can do that and do well, but be sure your lease addresses the issues specific to that model. (Specifically, how to handle shared costs and shared-space damage and also how to handle liability should one of the tenants -- who you chose -- damage the property of another tenant.)

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Robert Saunders
  • Long Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Long Beach, CA
Replied Jan 2 2023, 13:25

You might consider renting to parents who need a place to stay on move-in/out day or big game day. We provided summer and study abroad storage and shipping and the amount of parents looking for a place to stay near campus after moving their student is huge! Parents are often overlooked when it comes to needing a place to stay after a long day of traffic, schlepping boxes, moving and un/packing. Rooms can be made available to parents the week before finals, the week of finals, and the week after finals. Don’t forget some may need accommodations for summer sessions. It’s high stress time for students. You might also consider medical Schools. Students attending these campuses move around a lot and need accommodations. The collegiate market is wide open on catering accommodations. Connect with housing offices that are open to helping you market your off-campus accommodations. After you’ve gotten established in your business consider building relationships with international offices and consider attending a conference for housing directors. It’s called ACUHOi (Association of College University Housing Officers International). They have conferences all over the U.S. in different regions. Check them out!

P.S. Connect with alumni and parent clubs to get well networked and be the go to person for a place to stay near campus. Network with other property owners when you don’t have a accommodations. You never know when you’ll need them and vice cersa.