Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Johannie Keith Uy
  • Valdosta, GA
Votes |
Atlanta Condos that allow airbnb, short-term rentals?

Johannie Keith Uy
  • Valdosta, GA
Posted Jan 25 2018, 23:00
Hi, would anyone know which condos allow airbnb in metro atlanta? I know a lot of condos have restrictions on short-term rentals but I’m having difficulty finding details about it. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Jan 26 2018, 05:28

Find yourself an Atlanta agent the specializes in short term rental if there is such a person. This will take several phone calls in itself.
If there isn’t such a person.... be prepared to do the work yourself. Just pick up the phone and start making calls. First call should be to the city and ask 100 questions. Then call the front desk at condo buildings that are in areas you like and your price range and just ask the front desk.

Personally I would not look to do short term in an inner city. And certainly not in a condo. You’ll have way too many neighbors that will quickly get sick of the loud music and puking. This is what hotels are for.

That being said..... go for it!!!!! Just be careful and make sure you have an out if and when you get shut down (long term tenant), and pay your sales and occupancy tax!

Good luck happy to help any way I can.

User Stats

Votes
Evangeline Hooie
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Jan 26 2018, 05:28

Hi Johannie! I am an Airbnb host and a licensed Condo and HOA CAM Manager in Florida. Most Condos do not allow short term rentals - for the best chance I would look for older condos or if there are any vacation style condo properties.

If you find any Condos you are looking at send me the docs and I can look them over and try to best advise you.  Most Condos will still not like the fact that you are there and it could become a big pain for you.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Azeez K.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 26 2018, 08:54

Hi @Johannie Keith Uy

This agent specializes in short term rentals www.abovethelinehousing.com and could be a good place to start. 

PS. Do your own due diligence

Good Luck

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • National
Votes |
  • Investor
  • National
Replied Jan 26 2018, 10:07

Johannie Keith Uy

Atlanta has a growing market with pockets of Airbnb friendly buildings all over. Depending on where you are looking to be located there’s several locations you can do. There’s a company called Rented Capital that has contracts with building owners that rent out fully furnished apartments in buildings with hotel quality amenities such as pools and gyms for reasonable rates. Of course they do want a cut of the action with a fee that is 5% of monthly lease paid over course of term. 2.5% after year 1. Not terrible considering what you aren’t paying to furnish or find the place.

https://www.rented.com

User Stats

Votes
Ben Hooper
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 26 2018, 10:24

Peachtree Towers Condominiums and Landmark Condos. Both are downtown. 

User Stats

Votes
Johannie Keith Uy
  • Valdosta, GA
Votes |
  • Valdosta, GA
Replied Jan 26 2018, 16:52

Thank you for all your inputs!!! I will definitely look into those.

User Stats

Votes
Eliseo Magallon
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 26 2018, 22:30

let us know what you find out!

User Stats

Votes
Rick Baggenstoss
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Decatur, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Decatur, GA
Replied Jan 28 2018, 06:08

@Johannie Keith Uy - I know it's not your question, but a young physician shouldn't be buying/running Airbnb condos.   I think you should do a little tax planning and compare a house purchase vs. condo.  You should also consider master leasing the house to an Airbnb host.  

Unless you're a resident, you probably don't want the income yet.  A great benefit to you would be to build your balance sheet and shelter your income from taxes.

Lastly, downtown condos are going to be the first to get shut down, if any.  Imagine how a hotel would view a condo tower with more Airbnb units than they have rooms.  

GaREIA Logo

User Stats

Votes
Brian Moore
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Mar 25 2019, 09:04
I spoke with the company mentioned below on Friday March 21 2019, just wanted to share my findings specific to the Atl Airbnb set.

The agent (I forgot which one, terrible with names, not promising for my networking career right?) said that their firm helps people buy properties and the firm can then themselves market those properties on behalf of the homeowner to film companies that are filming in Atl.  For those not in the know, Atl bends over backwards with tax incentives for Hollywood film production so lots of movies are filmed here.  The crews that staff these movies need places to stay for a few months.

This agency does not have anything to do with Airbnb or any STR as their typical client will stay for a few months.  The firm gets paid by the homeowner when the person renting the home pays the rent, btw. 

They said that right now, in town is the best option and when I quoted my $300k ballpark figure, they said that there was a development at Ponce City market that would allow it and perhaps some other locations in town. I am sure they know exactly where those other places are, but I can't fault them for not giving away the entire game entirely on a free consult call.  That price would have you looking at 1BRs and studios exclusively. They said it was a sellers market and we are approaching the high season for prices.

They also said that the clients they place into your unit typically have a $3,000 housing budget. She actually said its about $3,500 for expenses for the month, and people just put that $3k into a lease of a place to live similar to what was in my price range. 

$3k lease on a $300k condo hits the 1% rule not counting HOA fees, vacancy and their commission each time they relet the place for you. This would be a play for somebody who is taking appreciation into their consideration mix, rather than just cash flow like myself.

In town is hot in general and Ponce City Market seems cool as hell to me, but I am not somebody to be weighing in on appreciation chances and %s.

I am leaning more towards Airbnb lease arbitrate myself, but happy hunting to anyone that wishes to go forward with it.

Originally posted by @Azeez K.:

This agent specializes in short term rentals www.abovethelinehousing.com and could be a good place to start. 

PS. Do your own due diligence

Good Luck

User Stats

Votes
Jason Mileshko
  • United States
Votes |
  • United States
Replied Sep 20 2021, 11:20
Originally posted by @Johannie Keith Uy:
Hi, would anyone know which condos allow airbnb in metro atlanta? I know a lot of condos have restrictions on short-term rentals but I’m having difficulty finding details about it. Thank you!

Yes, many Atlanta condos now have strict limitations on Airbnb and other short term rentals. Many people are simply doing it anyways which has its risks but most of them don't have a problem. I obviously would not advise this as the downside could be devastating. I will say this, that the person who is willing to do the hard work and find viable properties that allow short term rentals will be successful. 

User Stats

Votes
Donado Manuel
  • Stockbridge, GA
Votes |
  • Stockbridge, GA
Replied Apr 20 2022, 11:10
Quote from @Rick Baggenstoss:

@Johannie Keith Uy - I know it's not your question, but a young physician shouldn't be buying/running Airbnb condos.   I think you should do a little tax planning and compare a house purchase vs. condo.  You should also consider master leasing the house to an Airbnb host.  

Unless you're a resident, you probably don't want the income yet.  A great benefit to you would be to build your balance sheet and shelter your income from taxes.

Lastly, downtown condos are going to be the first to get shut down, if any.  Imagine how a hotel would view a condo tower with more Airbnb units than they have rooms.  

@Rick Baggenstoss you called this out years ago! Nice!