Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Burgeson
Votes |
Advise for Banking / Accounting for STR Management Company

Joshua Burgeson
Posted

Hello! Does anyone have any suggestions for banking and/or accounting solutions specific for STR management companies?
Would love to know how others in this space have their banking setup (specifically for trust accounting). 

I am looking at Baselane but unsure if that would work well as a PM versus an individual landlord that owns all of their properties. 

Context:
*For my business - I had initially setup a profit-first system w/ multiple bank accounts at my local credit union
*For the properties under management -  I setup two trust accounts (rents and deposits) with Chase. 

I also have a local bookkeeper, QBO, Bill.com & generate owner statements in OwnerRez.

We currently have 23 properties under management and am utilizing trust accounting to the best of my abilities (although we are not required to in our state) but everything is really inefficient when it comes time to do monthly reconciliation and distributions. Looking for a better solution to simplify expense tracking and work with a better banking product that can handle both my business operating account and the trust accounts so I can streamline better. 

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied

Maybe @Andrew Steffens can chime in @Joshua Burgeson.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

Thanks @Michael Baum

Even with 65 properties and 8 years in, owner payouts is still cumbersome.

We use Streamline PMS (also Trust reporting in a non mandatory state).  Our general system is run the initial payout reports, verify all reservations from our reservations sheet, verify owner charges, fix any issues, issue final payout to owners.

We only use 1 trust account and 1 operating account, with the same bank.  Our bookkeeper reconciles trust account with Streamline PMS, and reconciles ops account with QBO.

I hope that helps.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Burgeson
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

Thanks @Michael Baum

We use Streamline PMS (also Trust reporting in a non mandatory state).  Our general system is run the initial payout reports, verify all reservations from our reservations sheet, verify owner charges, fix any issues, issue final payout to owners.

We only use 1 trust account and 1 operating account, with the same bank.  Our bookkeeper reconciles trust account with Streamline PMS, and reconciles ops account with QBO.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the tip!

What bank do you use? 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

We use Regions Bank - not sure what state you are in but I think they are just in the Southeast.  I do not have anything positive or negative to say about them.  For me personally I like mid-sized/regional bank as you are not just a number like with a national bank, but they still have some of the bells and whistles like good online tools that small banks lack.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied

We use Relay bank since you can open a verity of accounts under the same company.   

User Stats

Votes
Gabe Chase
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
Replied
Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

Thanks @Michael Baum

I hope that helps.

This is exactly what we do! 62 units under management in Indianapolis. Glad I am on the right track here lol. It certainly is a task every single month! 

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied

Im an Affiliate for Baselane.....Can connect you if you need more help

User Stats

Votes
Max Emory
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • 100% Remote
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • 100% Remote
Replied

@Joshua Burgeson, look into Relay bank while you're doing your research. That's who our firm recommends to most in this space!