Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes

User Stats

Votes
Erica Calella
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied May 20 2024, 07:45

I have also experienced this, so following this discussion for any recs as well!

I wonder if it has anything to do with airbnb's push to promote this profile as a new listing on their platform?

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Kormylo
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied May 20 2024, 08:12

Airbnb boosts new listings, so that helped at first.  A few suggestions, not for better search results, but these will help get guests who view your page to book - your first 5 photos should show an array of views, because when viewing on a laptop or desktop, all 5 are visible at the same time.  Yours has 4 shots of the exterior from almost the same angle, except one is a night time shot.  The 5th pic is of your hot tub, but Airbnb puts a "Show All Photos" button across it on my laptop, so it's not very visible.  Mix up the first 5 pics with one exterior, one hot tub, and some interior shots of the kitchen, living room, and a bedroom.  Your house looks very clean and new, but lacking a little character with no artwork.  I know the slanted walls are hard for that, but adding a few pieces where you can, and maybe a few artificial plants in pots would help warm it up. Some of your reviews say the house looks better than in the photos. I would digitally lighten up a lot of the photos, because they do make the house look a bit dark.  Also straighten up a few that are crooked. I would add another pic of the hot tub taken from the other end of the deck, so guests can get a better idea of where it is in the layout.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied May 20 2024, 08:46

I think it is just slow for a lot of people right now.

I like the nighttime outdoor pictures, the outdoor spaces and games.

I don't think I'd list an air matress as a primary sleeping place. May have a futon or pull out couch instead.

For smaller rentals, such as yours,  I'd recommend a Kerurig coffee maker.

User Stats

Votes
Hanaa Abou Ouf
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 20 2024, 08:50

Make sure you are regularly changing your title, and moving your pictures around. 

Your first 5 pics should be your best ones. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan M kiefer
  • south carolina and michigan
Votes |
  • south carolina and michigan
Replied May 20 2024, 10:54

Ride it out your listing is great, your in the top 10%, they will come.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Hyman
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • CPA
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • CPA
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied May 21 2024, 13:44

I agree with Lauren. The pics are good, but there are some shadows in there. it might be worth uploading new pics that really pop. 

Best of luck and keep us posted!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied May 21 2024, 15:53

Also changing your description helps the boost.  I would also recommend trying to get on more platforms to help boost occupancy.

User Stats

Votes
Collin H.
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Replied May 21 2024, 17:59

I have found that it is all about professional photos. There are some really good interior photographers out there, and it's worth it to spend $500 to get it done right.  

User Stats

Votes
Kristine Ann
  • Investor
  • WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State
Votes |
  • Investor
  • WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State
Replied May 21 2024, 19:10

In your description, I wouldn't just say downtown. I would list the large venues in town that the cabin is near. Also specify it's "a convenient 10 minute drive".  If there are any concert venues, festivals or wedding venues within 30-45 minutes, list some of those two.

I'd also change your phrasing of "our hot tub" and "our fully equipped kitchen." Take anything that is possessive and replace with "the hot tub" and "the fully equipped kitchen.  You could even try "your hot tub" and "your fully equipped kitchen" and see if that snags more guests.  Really make them feel like it's theirs to enjoy.

Overall your beautiful house doesn't look very homey.  It's nice and uncluttered and beautiful, but looks very sparse. You need to add some art or photos that depicts the local nature, local mountains, or something special regionally.  It doesn't have to be expensive or overdone.  Some flowers or a potted plant in the kitchen for photos might make it look less sparse.  It sounds weird, but a vase filled sticks or small tree branches from around the property might be a nice touch on an empty table or counter.  Anything to highlight to local area.

Take another look at your beds.  They actually don't look comfortable or professionally made.  Maybe add a textured white or off-white Afghan and/or a wooden breakfast tray at the foot of the bed.  You could also have a basket filled with nice rolled towels at the foot of the bed.  Check out some ideas for staging bedrooms.  You really only need 2-3 items to make the bedrooms look more comfortable and put together.

Photos:

Your house looks beautiful, but I agree some of the pictures should be changed. If you were getting fully booked the photos would be fine, but since you need to increase your occupancy, definitely change your pictures. 

In my opinion your first photo should be the evening photo of the house with the pretty lights. Even the fire pit in the evening with a fire burning might be nicer than the plain shot from the front.  

You don't need a full shot of the bathroom sink.  You don't need the sponge in the kitchen sink photo.  Sponges and dish soap can be put in a small metal or black wood container to give it substance or removed for photos.  Just having things out on the sink without an "anchor" like a dish or basket makes it seem like they are junk when in actually it is very well planned out. The paper towel roll doesn't need to be photographed.

I think only show one bocce ball photo and leave out the evening bocce ball picture completely (you can't tell what it's showing and it's confusing).  Definitely leave out the pails.  Even though I'm sure it's super fun, it doesn't photograph well.

I would add one or two photos of the trees or the start of a nature path on your property.  You would be surprised how just a picture of trees or nature in your yard conveys the feeling of a cabin in the woods.  You don't show the view enough, in my opinion.

User Stats

Votes
Toni Escuder
  • Interior Decorator
  • Charlotte NC
Votes |
  • Interior Decorator
  • Charlotte NC
Replied May 22 2024, 04:52

It looks like you have great reviews so that is a good start! As others have mentioned, you may want to get some better photos taken. Overall it seems a bit dark and I would like to see more bright, light and airy images. Before doing that, you may want to consider added more decor and texture to the property. I recommend styling your tables, adding a theme and just making the property have more personality. For a house like this, guests want a cozy feel so some detail shots that depict this may help. Keep up the great work!

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied May 23 2024, 07:15

You need to create a "money listing"! What you're experiencing is the new listing boost and then drop after that boost is over. If you want a good example of a "money listing" DM me. 

To maintain a listing, one of the following should be done once a week. Just pick a day and every week that's the day you work on listings.

~Change hero (first) photo and rearraign photos

~Change title

~Change up description, even if you just trade a sentence or two around.

~Adjust pricing...this can really help!

~Learn the best SEO keywords for your area and change as needed. Best place for this is Rankbreeze, and then you can also keep an eye on where the listing is ranking on Airbnb.

~Add or take off promotional offers for guests....like book a weeknight for a $10 coffee gift card, etc.

Really the options for changing up a listing are endless, but there's a few ideas. And I would also agree it would be worth the hundreds to hire a professional architectural style photographer, with a splash of lifestyle to take photos. That style is the best to capture a STR due to the wide-angle shots to give guests a feel for the home, and then also detail shots to give them a feel for what they could experience at the property.