Best places for Short Term Rental Purchases and High ROI?

Best places for Short Term Rental Purchases and High ROI?

Lender · Freehold, NJ · Member since 2022 · 235 posts · 85 votes

I am seeing a larger number of people get into the Short Term Rental Space as they can cash flow their properties better than a LTR. For people who are looking into STRs, currently have them, or brokers whom have clients that are taking the step into looking into them more:

Where are you seeing the largest influx of STR purchases? Does a buyer need to shell out a large amount of funds in these areas and have to recoup it through Airbnb/VRBO listings? How have your STR experiences been overall?

I am curious as I will be starting my own real estate journey soon, and Airbnbs seem like the most profitable avenue at this moment! Would love to hear everyone's opinions. 

0Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Leslie Anne Morris:

Mostly in vacation markets. You’ll need cash to get in the game but originally I used retirement funds - basically robbed them. Overtime you could pay these funds back but it’s more fun to use the cash flow to scale. 


Many retirement accounts will let you take out a loan against your IRA money. This isn't a taxable event and prevents you from robbing your IRA money.

Many times it makes more sense to use your IRA money to make way better returns with RE

I personally have 2 self directed ROTH IRA'S that own Real Estate. I paid the tax hit when I converted to a ROTH, but they now growing tax free for forever! As they keep making more money the IRA is able to keep buying more properties.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    Best place for a vacation rental with a high ROI is going to be the same type place where you would want to spend your vacation dollars.

    Where do you go?

    What about Disney World, ocean front house, house on the lake or river, house in the mountains?

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dominic Pizzi:

    I am seeing a larger number of people get into the Short Term Rental Space as they can cash flow their properties better than a LTR. For people who are looking into STRs, currently have them, or brokers whom have clients that are taking the step into looking into them more:

    Where are you seeing the largest influx of STR purchases? Does a buyer need to shell out a large amount of funds in these areas and have to recoup it through Airbnb/VRBO listings? How have your STR experiences been overall?

    I am curious as I will be starting my own real estate journey soon, and Airbnbs seem like the most profitable avenue at this moment! Would love to hear everyone's opinions. 


    Still getting 20% ROI in Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater area. Its not any/every house but not finding a unicorn either.

  • Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
    3y

    Mostly in vacation markets. You’ll need cash to get in the game but originally I used retirement funds - basically robbed them. Overtime you could pay these funds back but it’s more fun to use the cash flow to scale. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Dominic Pizzi, I know ALLL the good places! Where I get bazillions of dollars in nightly rate! I ain't gonna tell you and cut into my bazillions! :)

    Seriously though, just about any area can do well if the house is purchased right, setup right, has lots of amenities, near cool stuff, run properly etc.

    Like others have said, vacation areas with solid STR friendly regs are the way to go for us.

    And it isn't running an AirBNB, it is running a Short Term Rental. AirBNB is a platform. 

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 383 posts · 389 votes
    3y

    @Dominic Pizzi

    Demand is weening but we are still seeing solid ADR and occupancy in the Tampa urban core. My colleagues and I are seeing a lot of people who were doing Airbnb arbitrage are not renewing leases with the landlords, so demand is shrinking slightly.

    If you are using the AirBNB platform, which is going through an algorithm change, the general consensus is that you should have instant book on, professional photos, dynamic pricing and competitive cleaning fees because now users can toggle and see the ‘total all in’ price for stays.

  • Member since 2022 · 33 posts · 15 votes
    3y

    Kristina,

    Is the Tampa market facing any regulations for STRs? I'm asking because that is more of city area than a vacation area. Are there any push backs from hotel lobbyists that you see might be coming in the future?

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Hey @Dominic Pizzi, I know ALLL the good places! Where I get bazillions of dollars in nightly rate! I ain't gonna tell you and cut into my bazillions! :)

    Seriously though, just about any area can do well if the house is purchased right, setup right, has lots of amenities, near cool stuff, run properly etc.

    Like others have said, vacation areas with solid STR friendly regs are the way to go for us.

    And it isn't running an AirBNB, it is running a Short Term Rental. AirBNB is a platform. 


     AMEN!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Leslie Anne Morris:

    Mostly in vacation markets. You’ll need cash to get in the game but originally I used retirement funds - basically robbed them. Overtime you could pay these funds back but it’s more fun to use the cash flow to scale. 


    Many retirement accounts will let you take out a loan against your IRA money. This isn't a taxable event and prevents you from robbing your IRA money.

    Many times it makes more sense to use your IRA money to make way better returns with RE

    I personally have 2 self directed ROTH IRA'S that own Real Estate. I paid the tax hit when I converted to a ROTH, but they now growing tax free for forever! As they keep making more money the IRA is able to keep buying more properties.

  • Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Leslie Anne Morris:

    Mostly in vacation markets. You’ll need cash to get in the game but originally I used retirement funds - basically robbed them. Overtime you could pay these funds back but it’s more fun to use the cash flow to scale. 


    Many retirement accounts will let you take out a loan against your IRA money. This isn't a taxable event and prevents you from robbing your IRA money.

    Many times it makes more sense to use your IRA money to make way better returns with RE

    I personally have 2 self directed ROTH IRA'S that own Real Estate. I paid the tax hit when I converted to a ROTH, but they now growing tax free for forever! As they keep making more money the IRA is able to keep buying more properties.


     There are quite a few different strategies. I also have an SDIRA that I use to invest in real estate today. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 694 votes
    3y

    I and the investors I work with are doing well with short-term rentals in Oklahoma City. With turnkey condition, you can furnish a 3 bed 2 bath for ~20k. Property management designs, gets approval through the city and then of course does the management throughout ownership. You can snag single-family homes that are ready to go at the 200k price point in great neighborhoods easily here. With only ~1% property taxes annually it makes the STR return more obvious than other markets. For the 20th biggest city in the US it's still under the radar so there's some peace of mind from a competition standpoint.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Sedona, AZ · Member since 2017 · 751 posts · 504 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dominic Pizzi:

    I am seeing a larger number of people get into the Short Term Rental Space as they can cash flow their properties better than a LTR. For people who are looking into STRs, currently have them, or brokers whom have clients that are taking the step into looking into them more:

    Where are you seeing the largest influx of STR purchases? Does a buyer need to shell out a large amount of funds in these areas and have to recoup it through Airbnb/VRBO listings? How have your STR experiences been overall?

    I am curious as I will be starting my own real estate journey soon, and Airbnbs seem like the most profitable avenue at this moment! Would love to hear everyone's opinions. 

    Hi Dominic.
    I have horse blinders on, as I specialize in The Sedona area. I can tell you that over 90% of my clients are getting 20%-35% cash on cash out here. In most cases we are seeing monthly STR cash flow at 1-2% of purchase price, which is fairly unheard of in most areas, now.

    Best advice I can give you is get a great deal on a property that checks enough STR boxes to yield a high income.

  • Ben ScottPro Member
    Property Manager · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 577 posts · 351 votes
    3y

    This is anecdotal, of course, but I operate two Air BNBs in the Oklahoma City area. I recently got my special exemption permit from the city (I'd run afoul of the law for too long) and there were at least 20 other home owners seeking a special exemption to operate a short term rental. I do wonder at one point does the market become saturated. Of course, those providing the best experience will rise to the top. 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    You may have missed the timing for STR gold. Recession will dampen travel spending.

  • Nick BelskyBusiness Member
    Residential and Commercial Broker · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 704 votes
    3y

    @Dominic Pizzi

    Near National Parks or popular vacationing spots.  I've yet to see any increases in vacancies in areas near the Smoky Mountains, Yellowstone, Yosemite, etc... Beach locations are also pretty solid if you can get them for the right price and with the right financing.

    AirDNA is an excellent tool for market research for STRs.

    Cheers!

    Belsky Mortgage, LLC527 Reviews
  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 710 posts · 641 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Drew Sygit:

    You may have missed the timing for STR gold. Recession will dampen travel spending.


     maybe far travel, but you should get more local travel or people within driving distance.

  • Member since 2022 · 272 posts · 253 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Trent Reeve:
    Quote from @Drew Sygit:

    You may have missed the timing for STR gold. Recession will dampen travel spending.


     maybe far travel, but you should get more local travel or people within driving distance.

    Agreed.

    anyone who is getting into STRs by making a hypothesis on just 2023 is going about it all wrong.

    take a 10 year view. People aren’t going to stop visiting the beach or mountains and NPs 10 years from now. One can’t let year to year noise cloud long term judgement 


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.