Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
David J.
  • Investor
  • shawnee oklahoma
Votes |
Unfair madness! Landlords getting hosed.

David J.
  • Investor
  • shawnee oklahoma
Posted

Some Perspective... 0.15%

That's the percent of American people who have Covid-19 at the time of this writing.  NOT even 1% of the total population.

Suppose the disease were to quadruple before this is over, that would only be 0.6%. Still not even 1%

I am not saying the Covid-19 pandemic is not serious. It is serious! But bear with me, I'm going somewhere here.

Percent of tenants with eviction protection 100%

Specifically in California landlords have been totally neutered.

THIS IS NOT RIGHT, THIS IS NOT FAIR!

Private citizens should not be compelled by law to provide free housing at their own detriment. As a landlord for 20+ years this is the most backwards and un-American situation I have ever seen. What good are constitutional protections, checks and balances if they only serve us when convenient? We need our rights, and freedom most when times are difficult. Where is the ACLU?

Do I think a tenant who has suffered a hardship outside of their control should be thrown out into the street? No of course not. But, 99.9% of landlords will do everything in their power to work with a tenant ALREADY, if for no other reason because they don't want to pay for turnover and vacancy.

I think some responsible laws could be put in place that prohibit abusive landlords from unfair evictions and also require landlords to work with tenants, but the current situation is totally 1 sided and unfair!

Consider, if a tenant loses their job they have options. They can apply for aid, they can look for an online job. They could take a temp position at a grocery store if they like. However, if a landlord has a tenant who can't (or wont') pay rent they can ask for rent and hope for cooperation but can do nothing beyond that to improve their situation.

This absurd! Is anyone thinking this through? How can this possibly not end badly? Allow me to list some problems.

1. If a tenant hears they "don't have to pay rent", many will simply push it as far as they can regardless of their actual ability to pay or not pay. Why not cease the moment? Wouldn't you?
  2. If a landlord does put a 3 days or quit notice and the tenant doesn't comply. Normal law states that the landlord can not collect anymore rent AFTER the 3 days are up, or the 3 day pay or quit notice is invalid. Does this mean landlords should just allow the tenant to live free till September or until (heaven only knows) when they are able to evict? Does letting a tenant free load till September seem like a good idea?
  3. Most landlords would agree that tenants who get behind really land themselves in a circle of debt they can't climb out of anyway. Thinking a repayment plan with landlords can work is basically fiction. AKA nonsense.
  4. How long till landlords start getting stretched too thin and start taking matters into their own hands? Anything is possible, Violence, fake insurance claims etc? That is a scary outcome that I don't want to even think about. (Please nobody do this)
  5. How long till landlords get fed up and say screw it and just let the bank have the property back?
  6. How long till word gets out about how landlords are being treated and many future (would be landlords) say, no thank you? How many current landlords will just get out of the game. (never want to take that risk again)

TL:DR; This is a disaster and I don't even know what to do anymore.

PS: I do have abusive tenants who are purposely leveraging the situation and not paying simply because they don't have to.

Loading replies...