perspective tenant claims bad credit due to identity theft

perspective tenant claims bad credit due to identity theft

Investor · Verona, NJ · Member since 2009 · 17 posts · 1 vote

I interviewed a perspective tenant who is a police officer. Her credit is really, really bad, but she said it was because her identity was stolen. Is there any way to verify that?
thanks
doreen

0Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2008 · 51 posts · 61 votes
16y

If they were the victim of identity theft, then they would have to have filed a police report to show that. Ask them to produce the police report where they filed for identity theft.

Considering they are a police officer I would say something not right. They would have access to creating police reports without it being a "real" and "verifiable" police reports. I am a landlord so I am very suspicious of comments like this from my tenants.

I would have them give you a copy of the police report. Then I would call the police state where the report is filed and ask them to send you a copy of the report. You have to pay for it. Compare the report from tenant to report from police officer.

Ask them to tell you all the accounts that were false accounts created by the person who stole their identity. Compare that to their credit report.

Also if they have a police report of identity theft, they should be able to give that to the credit reporting agencies and have the false information removed. Ask them why this has not been done? As a police officer he would know how this is done and should have done it by now. Police departments have lawyers that they can call on for help. They should have gotten the police lawyer involved and had this negative information removed.

If the negative information is from last month, that is one thing. But if it is from last year then something ain't right.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2010 · 156 posts · 65 votes
    16y

    Generally there would be a police report somewhere, and that is public record so you could find out where she filed the report and go request the report. You go to that police department and they will typically have a form you fill out with things like the name of the parties involved. Sometimes there will be a small doc fee for copies.

  • Property Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2008 · 51 posts · 61 votes
    16y

    If they were the victim of identity theft, then they would have to have filed a police report to show that. Ask them to produce the police report where they filed for identity theft.

    Considering they are a police officer I would say something not right. They would have access to creating police reports without it being a "real" and "verifiable" police reports. I am a landlord so I am very suspicious of comments like this from my tenants.

    I would have them give you a copy of the police report. Then I would call the police state where the report is filed and ask them to send you a copy of the report. You have to pay for it. Compare the report from tenant to report from police officer.

    Ask them to tell you all the accounts that were false accounts created by the person who stole their identity. Compare that to their credit report.

    Also if they have a police report of identity theft, they should be able to give that to the credit reporting agencies and have the false information removed. Ask them why this has not been done? As a police officer he would know how this is done and should have done it by now. Police departments have lawyers that they can call on for help. They should have gotten the police lawyer involved and had this negative information removed.

    If the negative information is from last month, that is one thing. But if it is from last year then something ain't right.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    16y

    IMO, credit is the least important of the Big Three with Felony Convictions and Prior Evictions taking first and second place.

    Around here, Cops get a DISCOUNT for renting, especially if they drive home in their 'company' cars.

  • Investor · Verona, NJ · Member since 2009 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    16y

    Thanks for the advice. I guess I will ask her for the police report. She said it was her sister who did it to her. Mark, I agree. If she wasnt' a cop I wouldn't even consider her. Her credit isn't bad, it's off the charts with delinquencies all.

  • Financial Advisor · Tampa Area, FL · Member since 2008 · 956 posts · 214 votes
    16y

    her credit reports should also be flagged. check for that.

  • Investor · Verona, NJ · Member since 2009 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    16y

    What does that mean?

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    16y

    Hi, run a credit report on her. There is a narative at the bottom for explanations and there should be a comment by the CR agency saying that the individual has reported ID theft and/or that her credit is flagged due to ID theft and that any creditor should verify requests for credit....etc. If it was her sister, there may not be a police report....obvious, but other creditors should have made notations on the report as well.

    There are irresponsible cops and they don't make much either. I had a probation oficer who had poor credit and she was great! I had another cop who was late all the time and thought he'd tell me how it was going to be and what the law was, well that came to a streaching halt after a phone call to the city attorney. So it goes both ways.....
    A discount is a good idea and common here as well, it's a good idea to have that "company" car outside! Good luck, Bill

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Cops are no better than anyone else! If her screening isn't right - move on and find a better tenant!

  • Investor · Verona, NJ · Member since 2009 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    16y

    Thanks All. I think I'd better just move on here and find someone else.
    Doreen

  • Real Estate Investor · Fenton, MI · Member since 2008 · 946 posts · 153 votes
    16y

    FYI: ID theft is very common and if police agencies wrote this up every time the officers would never be on the road. Many departments do not take written physical reports on this because the responsible person is often out of the country, eg. someone in Jamaica hacks into a computer in America.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.