Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Wesley W.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • The Vampire State
Votes |
Unauthorized occupant

Wesley W.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • The Vampire State
Posted

Hi folks,

Okay, I'm pretty sure my current tenant stays a lot at her boyfriend's place, and has allowed her sister (with two young children in tow) to stay at her place. I was suspicious for weeks, as I had gone about 6 weeks without seeing my tenant's car (I was there daily doing a renovation in another unit) but would quite regularly see her sister coming and going.  My suspicions were elevated when I " a friend of mine" happened to see some mail addressed to the sister being delivered to the unit in question.

I stopped the sister one day and asked her point blank if she was living there now, and she said "no", that she was coming over to "hang out" and check on the place because her sister was staying with her BF.  I didn't mention the mail to her.

I addressed my concerns with the current tenant (whom showed up last week), and she corroborated this story.  I didn't mention the mail to her, either.

My tenant's lease has a clause forbidding unauthorized occupants for more than 7 consecutive days or 14 total days over the course of the year. 

Here are my questions:

(1)  Is it an urban myth, or is it illegal for me "a friend of mine" to look into a tenant's mailbox as part of an investigation like the one described above?

(2)  Assuming I am correct about the occupant, what the possible consequences for me choosing to ignore this situation? Despite the lease, does she at some point get tenants' rights (I'm thinking something akin to "adverse possession.") or do I have to option to consider her a trespasser if I choose?

At the very least, I am going to give notice to enter and do an inspection in the coming days, just to see what has been going on inside.  

Other facts: current tenant has 2X security deposit down due to unverifiable income, and has been a trouble-free tenant otherwise.  As of this writing, rent has been paid on time since I noticed the shenanigans. (c. early April)

Any tips/advice/feedback is, as always, welcome and appreciated.

Loading replies...