Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |
renting to seniors--ideas?

N/A N/A
Posted

Any ideas on how to capitalize on the coming wave of retirees in need of affordable housing?

As far as renting to seniors goes, is there a way to rent to them exclusively, either SFH or multi-family? I would assume the fair housing laws would get in the way. I know there are some government programs out there. I am trying to find my niche, and I like the idea of seniors not tearing the place up and the low turnover.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Weaner
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Yardley, PA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Yardley, PA
Replied

I have heard that some are buying houses in retirement communities and then renting them. I am not sure how viable this would be, but then you would only be able to rent to seniors.

Account Closed
  • Tucson, AZ
Votes |
  • Tucson, AZ
Replied
Originally posted by "bs3488":
I like the idea of seniors not tearing the place up and the low turnover.

The first person I knew who rented their 2 bedroom house rented to a single senior professor at a local college. He sould sleep in one room and wet the bed. Next night, he'd do the same in the other room, and went back and forth between the two for the entire time of his stay. :crying:

So not every senior is the one of your heart! :D

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |
Replied

so the landlord rented their house to a senior, who then wet the beds in the rented house? What exactly is wrong with that? I would rather have seniors pee their pants than kids banging up the walls.