Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Pete Schiebel
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Is it common to require first and last month's rent for new tenants?

Pete Schiebel
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lakeland, FL
Posted

Hello, newbie landlord question here: Is it common to require first month's rent, last month's rent, and a security deposit for new tenants? I'm aware that Florida doesn't have hard limits on what is required up front, but I'm curious what others do. I'd consider our building a Class B. I mention that because I realize that requiring that much up front my limit my tenant pool. 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied

I agree that it is a lot of money up front, but if the norm for the area is first and last month's rent, remember that the tenants who are moving in won't have paid last month's rent to their current landlord (if they are from the same area).  I guess part of it comes down to how often tenants don't pay last month's rent and say use the deposit (don't do that, bad idea).

User Stats

Votes
Wesley W.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • The Vampire State
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • The Vampire State
Replied

I absolutely collected first, last and security for my class-C rentals until NYS prohibited that practice back in 2019.

Many tenants cannot manage their money properly, so this mitigates the issue of not being paid last month's rent when they need to move and the new landlord is receiving those funds they have allocated for their housing during the last month of their stay.

This was also helpful to me to pre-screen who has their financial house in order and had saved for their moving costs as part of their planning.

If I still could, I most definitely would - without exception.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

There is no "standard" practice. Some will collect first, last, and a deposit equal to a month of rent. Others will collect first, last, and a smaller deposit. Some will collect first and a deposit equal to two months of rent.

I personally recommend first and a double deposit. The tenant is less likely to trash a place or violate the lease if you hold a large chunk of money. If they skip out on their last month of rent, you have plenty of deposit to cover it. 

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Pete Schiebel
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied

Thanks for the advice all. @Theresa Harris, that's a good point that tenants might not have had to pay their previous landlord for last months' rent. I hadn't considered that.

@Nathan Gesner what is the benefit of the double deposit rather than collecting last month's rent + a single deposit? Let's use $1000 as the monthly rent amount and the deposit amount. Whether I collect First/Last/Deposit or First/Deposit (x2), the tenant is putting $3000 into it to start, with $2000 to keep them in line. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Pete Schiebel:

It's the same dollar amount for the tenant, but it's more leverage for the landlord. The last month's rent will be spent, then you have $1,000 on reserve to ensure they return the property in good condition. With a double deposit, you have $2,000 on reserve and they are more likely to want that money back.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Pete Schiebel
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied

> With a double deposit, you have $2,000 on reserve and they are more likely to want that money back

Thanks @Nathan Gesner, that makes more sense to me.

User Stats

Votes
Alan Asriants
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied

That's a pretty common practice in my area. 

If your local law allows it, see what everyone else is doing and go by the norm. 

3 months rent is a substantial amount for some, but really helps ensure the financial quality of a tenant.

Sometimes I have immigrants who apply who work their tails off and can't afford the 3 months up front. Case by case I'll set up a payment plan. Maybe I do 2 months, and then have the 3rd month broken up over a period of time. 

• Real Estate Agent New Jersey (#2323863) and Pennsylvania (#RS3399189)

• 267-767-0111
  • [email protected]
Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jake Knight
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis
Replied

It may depend on your market. Ideally, you don't want it to be too financially difficult to find a renter. That said, we require 1-2 months of rent in our market (Indy) and it's based on their qualifications.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Knight
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis
Replied
Quote from @Jake Knight:

It may depend on your market. Ideally, you don't want it to be too financially difficult to find a renter. That said, we require 1-2 months of rent in our market (Indy) and it's based on their qualifications.

Forgot to mention that we do lose renters sometimes due to this.  We're comfortable with that though as we want assurances that their financials are healthy.