Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ingrid Hussey
Votes |
Flat Screen TV's on the Wall

Ingrid Hussey
Posted

Hello All,

How do you all handle flat screen TV's wanting to be hung on the wall? Do you allow it? Do you have stipulations? Do you pre-hang a universal wall mount so that tenants can use it? Do you just make the repairs when they remove their own wall mount?

My SFR is well maintained with all walls intact, newly painted and orange peel textured. My rent is $2,350/mo (I could probably get more but I want it to move quickly) and it is in a gated community - just to give you a sense of they type of property it is and maybe what type of expectations a renter may have for what they are paying for that rent. What are those of you with similar properties doing and how is it working for you during turnover?

Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied

I see them in a similar way to hanging pictures. Tenants are going to do it and I don't think it's really fair not to allow them to. But the damage caused by hanging them (namely puddying the holes and touch up paint, or repainting walls if touching up doesn't work) will come out of their deposit. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied
Quote from @Ingrid Hussey:

Hello All,

How do you all handle flat screen TV's wanting to be hung on the wall? Do you allow it? Do you have stipulations? Do you pre-hang a universal wall mount so that tenants can use it? Do you just make the repairs when they remove their own wall mount?

My SFR is well maintained with all walls intact, newly painted and orange peel textured. My rent is $2,350/mo (I could probably get more but I want it to move quickly) and it is in a gated community - just to give you a sense of they type of property it is and maybe what type of expectations a renter may have for what they are paying for that rent. What are those of you with similar properties doing and how is it working for you during turnover?

Thanks in advance.

we allow it in our rentals - and as noted it is similar to pictures. We have when they moved out also had it so that if they left the mount we would not charge them for the wall repairs, as the next tenant coming in also in most cases wants it there as well which has been the case.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mary Smith
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied

We also allow our tenants to mount any TV's and any damage is taken out of their deposit. 

User Stats

Votes
Nate Sahm
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

@Ingrid Hussey

I allow the tenants to have a TV on the wall. Even if you don't allow it you'll go over one day and a TV will be up there anyway lol.

During the initial walk through of the house I tell them if they want a TV on the wall, let me know the size of the TV and where they want it. I tell them I will have my handyman stop by to hang the TV. If the tenant doesn't already have a wall mount I tell them that I will purchase it for them as a move in gift. 

I do not allow them to hang it themselves so there are no issues with a tenant who doesn't know what they're doing trying to get the wall mount up. Typically, when I offer to have my handyman come by to do it, they get excited about that. They also are really appreciative if they don't already have a wall mount so me buying it goes a long way in starting the landlord/tenant relationship off on the right foot. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

I allow a "reasonable" number of small nails for hanging art, photos, etc. I do not allow tenants to install shelves, TV mounts, or anything that requires large holes. If they do it anyway, I charge them for the repairs.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo