Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ana Vhan
Votes |
A tight comprehensive lease agreement

Ana Vhan
Posted Jul 11 2024, 00:53

How do we ensure that we have a comprehensive lease agreement in place and we have covered ourselves from all the potential liabilities? Is there a good template for Arizona that is comprehensive? If not, should I get a lawyer draft me a lease with all clauses? What specific clauses should we have in the lease specifically for Arizona? 

Please recommend a good source for the lease template or a lawyer who can help draft such a lease. 

Thank you. Appreciate all the help in advance. 

User Stats

Votes
Tim Baldwin
Legal Services
  • Attorney
  • Pensacola, FL
Votes |
Legal Services
  • Attorney
  • Pensacola, FL
Replied Jul 11 2024, 04:43

Find a lawyer who specializes in landlord-tenant law in your state, and not only that, but who know the rental and property management business well. I can tell you from experience, I've yet to see a "comprehensive lease agreement" that was not drafted by an attorney who knows this business well. While you may be able to find a satisfactory lease that you can simply download from a website, you will be "leaving money on the table" by not having your lease well crafted. Best wishes. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 11 2024, 05:41
Quote from @Ana Vhan:

Biggerpockets sells a Lease Agreement Package under "TOOLS" at the top of your screen. It costs $100 for a lease and several other documents written by investors and an attorney-approved for your state. It's better than what you'll get from most attorneys and what you'll find on the internet.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jul 11 2024, 05:57

@Ana Vhan even if you do what @Nathan Gesner recommends (which we also recommend), you'll want to add to the lease as you get experience.

Our lease started with 6 pages 24 years ago and it's now 26 pages!

Why?

Because dealing with tenants is like an "Arms Race". Tenants try to outsmart and outmanuveur landlords, so the landlord learns and improves their lease.

Since we all have different experiences and tolerence levels, the lease that works for one landlord may not work for another.

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Josh Young
  • Rental Property Investor / REALTOR® / Property Manager
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor / REALTOR® / Property Manager
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jul 11 2024, 06:38

@Ana Vhan

You want to use the Arizona Association of Realtors Residential Lease and supporting documents. These are the best forms written by the AAR attorneys. In order to use these forms you will need to hire a Realtor for a Lease up or as a property manager, but should cost less than hiring an attorney to write your own forms. Full disclosure, I help clients with lease ups and property management.

User Stats

Votes
Dick Rosen
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jul 11 2024, 11:07
Quote from @Josh Young:

@Ana Vhan

You want to use the Arizona Association of Realtors Residential Lease and supporting documents. These are the best forms written by the AAR attorneys. In order to use these forms you will need to hire a Realtor for a Lease up or as a property manager, but should cost less than hiring an attorney to write your own forms. Full disclosure, I help clients with lease ups and property management.

I disagree, we have developed our own lease and supporting docs. AAR lease is intended to be fair to all but tends to favor the tenant. There is no reason why your lease should not favor the landlord and still be fair to the tenant. This is after all, a landlord freindly state. We update our lease constantly and our attorney reviews it annually, I feel this is the best route and so do most of the instructors at CE classes that I attend.

LHM Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ana Vhan
Votes |
Replied Jul 17 2024, 00:47
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Ana Vhan:

Biggerpockets sells a Lease Agreement Package under "TOOLS" at the top of your screen. It costs $100 for a lease and several other documents written by investors and an attorney-approved for your state. It's better than what you'll get from most attorneys and what you'll find on the internet.

Nathan, thank you. Do you know if this is for one time use only or can I purchase it once and use it as needed? 

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 17 2024, 03:43

I use eforms.com   State specific forms and updated when there are law changes.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 17 2024, 08:09
Quote from @Ana Vhan:

You can use it forever. The forms are completely editable so you can change them as you see fit. If you lose them, you can download new copies.
  • Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo