Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Palmer
Pro Member
Votes |
Inheriting Tenants Process

Jacob Palmer
Pro Member
Posted

Hey everyone! An aspiring rookie investor considering a house hack as my entry into real estate. How does inheriting tenants work? Say I buy an occupied duplex, do I have to honor their current lease? Do I draft a new one and have them sign it?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Jerrod Rosen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Denver
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Denver
Replied

Hi Jacob, yeah legally you are required to honor the current lease they have in place. You can often talk to them before you take over the property to see if they would like to extend or vacate upon a change of ownership. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out! 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew B.
  • Rockaway, NJ
Votes |
  • Rockaway, NJ
Replied

The prior owner's agreements with the tenants are as legally binding as it would have been with your signature on it. This is why it is important to get an estoppel certificate signed by tenant and seller prior to taking on a inherited tenant. The estoppel certificate outlines any agreements between tenant and landlord. This protects you if the tenant tries to tell you that he prepaid rent for the next 6 months or he had a huge deposit on file.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied

@Jacob Palmer

Taking over tenants in a duplex means you must honor lease agreements, transfer security deposits, and provide proper notice. After leases expire, landlords can draft new leases, re-negotiate terms, adjust rent, and implement policies. Thorough due diligence, professional communication, and familiarity with local laws are essential for smooth management and positive tenant relationships.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Aaker
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Replied
I agree with all the other posts. I would add that in your purchase and sale agreement, have your agent add a clause that allows you to review the leases and the agreement is contingent on your satisfaction with the leases. Usually they will end within the next year. It'll give you an out. If in doubt, have an attorney review.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Jacob Palmer:

Existing contracts transfer with the sale. You can attempt to negotiate with the tenants to see if they will agree to new terms, but it's unlikely. Be sure to get any changes in writing, signed by all parties.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo