Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sam Leon
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
Is there such a thing as a cat proof door seal?

Sam Leon
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posted
When I have tenants who have cats, the exterior door weather seals get ripped to shreds.

Like this:

or like this:

and being in Florida, this increases the electric bill because the air conditioning has to run more, and the tenants complain about the electric bill.

I can replace the weather seal, and three days later we are back to the same place.

Is there something I can do to cat proof this?

User Stats

Votes
Julie Hartman
  • Property Manager
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Denver, CO
Replied

@Sam Leon The best way to cat-proof a property is not allowing them at all. We do not allow cats and scratching is just one of several reasons why. Cats also cause extreme allergies in some people, even more so than dogs, which can limit your tenant pool. And if you have ever had to remove cat urine from a property, you know what an uphill battle it is. Good luck. 

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/...@Sam Leon here are some things for you to try. No personal experience. We don't allow cats in our rentals for the reasons @Julie Hartman describes above.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Scott M.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Rochester Hills, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Rochester Hills, MI
Replied

Park a dog in front of that door. 

User Stats

Votes
Sam Leon
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied

In my experiences, dogs caused much more damages to cats.  So for my rentals I allow cats but not dogs.

The issues with cats I have personally experienced are door seals ripped up, window blinds torn up.  I don't really have urine issues as all the flooring are hard porcelain or ceramic tiles, not carpet or wood.

The issues with dogs that I have personally experienced are ripped up sprinkler wires and valves in the yard, craters in the yard, ripped down window blinds and draperies, kitchen cabinet doors with hinges pulled off, interior doors or cabinet doors with corners chewed off, claw marks on baseboards and door trims, neighbors complaining about excessive barking, property maintenance or appliance repair or others trying to service the property hesitate to enter property due to hissing and barking aggressively, property insurance carrier's unannounced inspection requiring dog breed/vaccination/wellness records etc etc etc...

So all things considered I have disallowed dogs but not cats.  As eliminating both really restrict my tenant pool.

One side effect that I noticed when I restricted my apartments to cats only but not dogs, my tenants have been exclusively female.  I guess not too many male with cats as pets?

User Stats

Votes
Matt Devincenzo#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Votes |
Matt Devincenzo#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Replied

One solution is you need to create the connection that the damage costs them money. Right now the damage costs them more electric for their A/C so they call you to fix it. I'd personally say that is a simple enough 'repair' that I'd show them how to do it and then tell them they can do it going forward, or you will do it for $XX to pay for your time. I bet they stop asking you to do it.

Also I grew up in FL and we had doors that ended up like that from time to time. I very seriously doubt that the leaking is significant enough to really make their bill that much higher. Is it a contributing factor, sure. But I'd say that increases the A/C use in the range of maybe $15-$20 dollars a month, which is very small in the overall consideration for why the bill might be high. 

User Stats

Votes
Bud Gaffney
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Boston, MA
Replied

@Sam Leon no

User Stats

Votes
Bud Gaffney
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Boston, MA
Replied

@Sam Leon maybe steel wool

User Stats

Votes
John Teachout
  • Concord, GA
Votes |
  • Concord, GA
Replied

We don't allow cats in any of our rentals. No exceptions. We do allow dogs.

User Stats

Votes
Dawn P.
  • Sumter, SC
Votes |
  • Sumter, SC
Replied

The dummies need to get their cat a scratching post and train them to use it.

They make lots of scratching-deterrent sprays, available in any pet store or Amazon. They can also dab a few drops of a strong smelling essential oil - think citrus or peppermint - where they're scratching and they'll stop.