Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Classifieds
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Karlo Nava
Votes |
Looking for 2nd property

Karlo Nava
Posted

I currently own and house hack a duplex. Bought it in 2019 so there’s plenty of equity in it. Looking for recommendation on how to position myself to acquire another in the SLC area or possibly other places that might cash flow better. 
property cash flows around $300/mo. And I currently work a regular 9-5 myself. 

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

Hi Karlo,

House hack is a great way to get started. If you want to stay relatively passive, it would be great to do another house hack. If you are willing to put time and effort, you could do more active investments like flips or BRRRRs. You could also leverage the equity you have to acquire more properties.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Karlo Nava:

I currently own and house hack a duplex. Bought it in 2019 so there’s plenty of equity in it. Looking for recommendation on how to position myself to acquire another in the SLC area or possibly other places that might cash flow better. 
property cash flows around $300/mo. And I currently work a regular 9-5 myself. 

I agree with Ko. You already house hack, so find another property to house hack. You can rent out the space you currently live in to keep that property cash flowing. If you buy a fourplex, you will have a place to live in the fourplex and five rentals.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon
Pro Member
#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied

As others have noted - hard to cash flow in many markets right now unless putting a lot down or doing househacking/multi-unit.  If you are comfortable living where you are at now and don't want to house hack again - there should be some good deals potentially on 2-4 units that will in fact cash flow even at decent leverage in Utah or other nearby markets

User Stats

Votes
Jake Petersen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied

Hey Karlo, I am an agent and currently have a listing in Centerville, Ut. Its 2700 sq ft, 5 bed 2 bath (basement is unfinished and you can finish the 3rd bath). The unique part is the additional basement garage. If you finish the basement with a kitchen you could have a mother in law with a walk out and a garage downstairs. It would be a perfect investment property, you could live in the top and add value to the basement by adding the MIL.

You could potentially use future MIL income to qualify for a loan, I am not a lender so you will want to verify. But a lender I work with told me this is possible! 

Feel free to text me if you have questions or want more info. 801.803.1781

User Stats

Votes
Scoop Schneider
  • Investor
  • pensacola fl
Votes |
  • Investor
  • pensacola fl
Replied

to get the most cash flow you need to go down in asset grade a,b,c,d a is top grade least cashflow and so on however a appreciates the most a is most desired