Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jim Miller
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lebanon Pa
Votes |
Looking for a rental HELOC

Jim Miller
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lebanon Pa
Posted

Are there any banks offering a HELOC on rental units? We have a single-family long-term rental in Port Charlotte that we'd like to keep the current mortgage rate, but we do have some equity we'd like to have access to.

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied

@Jim Miller Lenders tightened requirements and limited products since rates went up. Getting a HELOC on investment an property is hard to find. If you can find one it's pretty expensive.

The best option right now is a cash-out refinance, but if you're sitting on a low rate it may be counterintuitive. 

User Stats

Votes
Jim Miller
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lebanon Pa
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lebanon Pa
Replied

I understand that, and yes, I would prefer to protect my current rate, but that may not be an option. Thanks for the insight.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Croucier
Lender
  • Lender
  • Newport Beach, CA
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Newport Beach, CA
Replied

I have the product available but it's not worth it in my opinion.. Rates on investment heloc's are anywhere from 12-15% right now. Your most likely better off doing a cash out refinance.

User Stats

Votes
Jim Miller
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lebanon Pa
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lebanon Pa
Replied

@Brandon Croucier, thank you. That would be a little higher than I would care to pay. 

User Stats

Votes
Wyatt Wolff
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied

They're definitely expensive... you just have to look and assess what you are using it for, and if you can get returns that will make the rate worth it. 

In general,I think C/O is the way to go though. 

The One Brokerage Logo

User Stats

Votes
Zach Bosson
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied

@Jim Miller We offer HELOCs on investment properties, they are rare. The highest rate we offer is 13%, I don't know how you'd do a 15% rate, those coupons aren't selling in the secondary market.

It's not a one size fits all whether a HELOC or Cash Out is better. If you have a $500,000 2.5% 1st mgt and want $50k you'd be insane to choose Cashout over HELOC. Inversely if you have a $100,000 5% 1st mortgage and want $250,000 you should go with a cashout mgt.

Be careful, *some* lenders will discourage HELOCs b/c they make less $ on them or only offer them to get people's foot in the door.

Quick Example Scenario.

$250,000 1st mgt at 4% $1200/mn

$100,000 HELOC at 10% - 12% $830 -$1000/mn

or

$350,000 $7.5% - $2,450/mn

User Stats

Votes
Stacy Raskin
Lender
#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Lender
Replied

There are investment property HELOCs. There are investors who like that they can do multiple draws and some features which are specific to HELOCs compared to a cash out refinance. HELOC rates will be higher than a cash out refinance. These are also income based loan so the debt to income (DTI) ratio has to work.

More details:

There are lenders that do values determined by AVM (automated valuation model), not a full appraisal. They can do HELOCs down to 640 for primary homes and 680 for investment properties, combined loan to value (CLTV) are up to 85% for cash out for primary homes and up to 70% for investment properties (max CLTV depends on credit score).

HELOC maximum line amounts up to $400,000 for primary homes and $250,000 for investment properties (maximum loan to value (LTV) varies based on credit score). Only available on one unit properties such as single family residences, condos, planned unit development (PUD) and townhouses.

There are fixed 5-30 year fully amortized loan terms with 2-5 year draw periods. Full draw required at closing. Subsequent draws can be any amount above $500. Additional draw limit is 100% of total line of credit.

Up to 50% debt to income (DTI). Income can be from earnings or asset depletion. Spousal income can be considered in community property / homestead states. Income verified online through borrower's source of choice such as bank statements, asset accounts, paystubs and IRS tax filing. Properties must have been bought at least 90 days ago.

U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Property must vest as individuals or a revocable trust. LLCs not allowed.

Happy to discuss further. 

User Stats

Votes
    Erik Estrada
    Lender
    • Lender
    Votes |
    Lender
    • Lender
    Replied

They are still available, however as many posters commented, they are more expensive. You can also obtain a DSCR second mortgage if you have trouble qualifying for a HELOC.