Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Toshev
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
House hack loan

Daniel Toshev
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Posted

Hello, everyone. First time posting. 

So, after few years investing out of state I decided it's time for a house hack. The house that I live in is very easily devideble. So I turned it into a up-down duplex. I'm renting the top and got a roommate on the bottom. 

So that's 2 rental agreements and 2 rental payments coming each month. 

However, when I tried to get pre-approval for a new loan I was told I can only use 75% of the average rent for the area. Even though I have the leases and can show a few months of payment I have to wait to do my taxes and show the rental income there until I can actually use that income. And that's a mortgage broker I've used a few times and trust. 

So, is there any way around that, or do I just wait until next year? 

Thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

@Daniel Toshev

Not really as I believe a DSCR loan does not allow you to owner occupy it. Some lenders may be more aggressive and count the 75% from the leases now. Only way to find out is to start calling and reaching out

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Replied

Each lender is a little different. And unfortunately, some loan originators will say one thing and then their underwriters will say another. I would make sure you're calling lenders who are experienced with owner occupied multifamily loans. 

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Chad Rocke
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied

@Daniel Toshev

Just sent you a DM

User Stats

Votes
Derek Brickley
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied

Hey Daniel,
If you’re looking at conventional loans then that will be the case.  Freddie/Fannie dictate that in their guidelines.  If you were looking for non- qualified mortgages there could be a difference.

Gold Star Mortgage - Derek Brickley Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chad Rocke
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied

@Daniel Toshev

I received some good info that might make this possible for you.

Give me a ring happy to discuss more I can connect you with Danielle.

From my go to lender:

Danielle Anderson

Loan Officer

the leases would need to be specific that they are only a portion of the home (Basement) and upstairs. We would NOT need to order a 1007 market rent report if we had either:

1st months rent and security deposit

2 months of rent deposits (canceled checks)

If it's a departing residence we could only use rental income to offset monthly payment (we couldn't use extra income if 75% of the lease was 3,000 and mortgage was only $2,500 I couldn't give $500 of income to boost DTI unless he has moved out of the home for some time and we have 1 year of history of being a landlord (which it sounds like we do, just not sure if he's just moving out of this home).

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied
Quote from @Daniel Toshev:

Hello, everyone. First time posting. 

So, after few years investing out of state I decided it's time for a house hack. The house that I live in is very easily devideble. So I turned it into a up-down duplex. I'm renting the top and got a roommate on the bottom. 

So that's 2 rental agreements and 2 rental payments coming each month. 

However, when I tried to get pre-approval for a new loan I was told I can only use 75% of the average rent for the area. Even though I have the leases and can show a few months of payment I have to wait to do my taxes and show the rental income there until I can actually use that income. And that's a mortgage broker I've used a few times and trust. 

So, is there any way around that, or do I just wait until next year? 

Thanks 

Are you trying to refi the property you currently live in or trying to buy a new property?  The answer will change just a bit on how the income is calculated.  

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Toshev
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied

Thanks, everyone for taking the time to respond. 

Yes, I'm trying to buy the next house hack, I guess I didn't make that clear. Unfortunately, seems like it will wait till next year because of this rule. As it is I'm left, on paper,  responsible for almost $1000 of the current mortgage and can't qualify for enough to buy what I'm looking for

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied
Quote from @Daniel Toshev:

Thanks, everyone for taking the time to respond. 

Yes, I'm trying to buy the next house hack, I guess I didn't make that clear. Unfortunately, seems like it will wait till next year because of this rule. As it is I'm left, on paper,  responsible for almost $1000 of the current mortgage and can't qualify for enough to buy what I'm looking for

You said the property is a duplex correct? And you have a tenant in the unit you are NOT currently living in correct? What date did you get this lease signed?